Parents Update -- thoughts please?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Busymum

Proud Parent
So daughter had her second session in the new gym she's trialling in today -- coach said she was like a different child (got overwhelmed and had melt down in first session) - smiley, listening and confident However she did say she feels daughter has picked up lots of bad habits in old gym and skill wise is quite behind the other girls in the group -- for example they are working cartwheels and walk overs on beams where as daughter has only done certain walks, turns and jumps on beam. She said she will need to watch her closely for two weeks to see how quickly she picks up skills and so on to work out if she has time to get her comp ready in 10 months.... that's when they are due to start grades apparently. This will depend on how quickly she can pick up new skills, listening skills, focus and behaviour. I asked her if it will be a complete no if she feels there isn't time for her to catch up to the others as we really want her in that gym. She said no not at all as there are lots of groups and disciplines she could do.

The thing is, daughter loves bars and beam and so I do not see her wanting to do say acro or floor and vault as then I assume she would never get to do either of those. This concern must have shown on my face (whoops) as she then went on to say don't panic as she had been pleased with how well daughter had listened today and that she had picked things up such as spotted cartwheels on beam well. She said she's already seen progress in her skills within these first two sessions and that she had picked up the under 8 R & C routine and improved it significantly within 4 attempts.

Agh I don't know what to think.... it's a shame she couldn't then just do grades the following year (is that classed as out of age?) but I assume from that conversation and the mention of the other disciplines that that's not how they do things!

What do you guys make of this?

Sounds like the group she is in is destined to compete in age.

It depends on the club ethos. Some clubs will only compete girls on 4 pieces in age, others will be happy to let them compete OOA. Can you check their results this year / last year and see who they enter. If they have multiple girls competing OOA then their ethos is clear, or pm the name of the club to some of the "in the know" Brits on here and they should be able to tell you .

Glad she had a better day

Thanks for the advice -- I'm totally new to this. I can find results for county grades, in age levels and out of age levels --- lots of names in county grades and in age levels but only a few in out of age levels. I'm assuming they are the same thing but for different age groups?? Really no clue about all this!

They compete both regionally and nationally -- I'm not sure about higher levels but I do know they have children on the elite path? I am sorry if my answers aren't helping --- I'm learning as I go here!

no I meant regional or national grades.

Grades go from 6-1, 6 and 5 are "club grades" then from 4 there a three paths, regional ( lowest level), national and elite.

I know they do the club grades yes as some of the girls were just awarded club grade 6 and another couple club grade 5 last month. As for 4 to 1 I'm not certain but think they do all 3 paths as their web page states gymnasts competing from regional through to elite?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back