WAG USAIGC Questions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Here's is (so far-it's a work in progress, I believe) the NYS schedule. So, compulsories, optionals and Xcel all could compete most of the school year if they wanted to. I assume @Deleted member 18037 (again, not to speak for you, trying to help clarify!) gym would do a few meets in the winter, early states, then do IGC (not familiar with their schedule except that worlds was July I believe) so I would think they are still doing a "normal" amount of meets total. (6-8?)
Again, my point is that NY appears to be different than most other states :)

Here's is (so far-it's a work in progress, I believe) the NYS schedule. So, compulsories, optionals and Xcel all could compete most of the school year if they wanted to. I assume @Deleted member 18037 (again, not to speak for you, trying to help clarify!) gym would do a few meets in the winter, early states, then do IGC (not familiar with their schedule except that worlds was July I believe) so I would think they are still doing a "normal" amount of meets total. (6-8?)
Yep that is what usually happens.

Don't know what our Optional girls do, not there yet. I assume they do more JO meets and States in spring since Early States only go to L4

Yep that is what usually happens.

Don't know what our Optional girls do, not there yet. I assume they do more JO meets and States in spring since Early States only go to L4
I'm pretty sure 5/6 have early states too, but still, point taken- 7/8 and 9/10 only have the March states.

OK. So, with USAIGC you could be competing until July? So JO would be October-February, and USAIGC Feb- July? and then 3 months off?

Your season does sound very different. Our compulsary go Sept-Dec, and our Optionals compete Jan-April ish depending on how far they go. Xcel competes feb/march- June. So yes, the long season does seem a bit long! lol.

So, if early states end at 4, do 5/6 compete USAIGC? or does that system stop at Level 4?

Reactions: sce
Skschlag, most gyms don't do it the way Ldw's gym does. They do either JO or USAIGC, with a more conventional season and number of meets. However, many gyms just do one long season for JO rather than ending compulsory competition in early winter. My sense is that gyms that do it that way just start competing later, skipping those fall meets.

Skschlag, most gyms don't do it the way Ldw's gym does. They do either JO or USAIGC, with a more conventional season and number of meets. However, many gyms just do one long season for JO rather than ending compulsory competition in early winter. My sense is that gyms that do it that way just start competing later, skipping those fall meets.

OK, so they do a more typical season? I know we have the option of some boys and/or girls optional meets here in November/December, but they are not well attended, and gyms typically only do 1 if any. most start in January.

Slightly off topic, but 9 meets a year?! Holy crap!

Here it is usually 3 qualifiers, Provincial championships if they make it (top 32 in each level/age group), a travel meet and sometimes a local invitational.

Just to pick on a random NY gym, here's Rochester's competitive schedule.

http://rochesterga.com/index1.htm

I know different families have different preferences, C_G_M, but yeah, nine would seriously put me under. Especially with two of them competing. Our girls' team usually does about 4-5 plus states and beyond, and the boys' team is similar. And I still feel like my head is going to explode in January! On both sides, the coaches are extremely averse to back-to-back competition weekends, but I can't see how you avoid it if you're doing a ton of meets.

And my question still becomes whether OP'S gym is even eligible to do both. Given the language for USAIGC that indicates that one season must END before competing the other track.

While OP'S gym may stop competing JO meets after early States, as far as I can tell, the JO Compulsory season continues until the larger State meets. It appears that most of the gyms that competed L3 at the early State meet continued to compete JO and then attended one of the larger State meets in the spring.

And my question still becomes whether OP'S gym is even eligible to do both. Given the language for USAIGC that indicates that one season must END before competing the other track.

While OP'S gym may stop competing JO meets after early States, as far as I can tell, the JO Compulsory season continues until the larger State meets. It appears that most of the gyms that competed L3 at the early State meet continued to compete JO and then attended one of the larger State meets in the spring.

There does seem to be a loophole that the gym is using to do both. And I agree with OP that she is just goign along with what her gym is doing, as most of us would. It will be interesting to see how it plays out and if USAIGC strengthens the language around that to stop kids from competing both streams.

WAG is just so complicated ;)

I think the poster was talking about 2 FULL seasons back-to-back. Meaning 14+ meets.

Yeah, my girls are now on opposing seasons, so I get one long season from September through June, with 14 meets plus regionals (maybe nationals for T&T DD in July). It's gonna feel grueling for the whole family. Then there is the whole question of whether DD will move on from scoring out of 4/5 and roll right into 6. At this point I am turning ambivalent, because that would then make for 21+ meets plus three states, a regional, and a (possible) nationals. That sounds insane just writing it.

Yeah, my girls are now on opposing seasons, so I get one long season from September through June, with 14 meets plus regionals (maybe nationals for T&T DD in July). It's gonna feel grueling for the whole family. Then there is the whole question of whether DD will move on from scoring out of 4/5 and roll right into 6. At this point I am turning ambivalent, because that would then make for 21+ meets plus three states, a regional, and a (possible) nationals. That sounds insane just writing it.

Oh, wow. Can we start a wine fund for you?

I think that the alternatives to JO (at least xcel and IGC) appear to want to keep their tracks separate. In OP'S region, the Xcel organizers even had to go so far as to change their rules to stop gyms from competing both. Whether or not doing both is not technically prohibited, it seems pretty clear that it violates the spirit of the rules.

While I gather that OP'S gym believes that competition. Is competition, it appears that at least the Xcel track disagrees and has taken steps to preserve it's separation.

Actually, Xcel's change only affects a team's ability to compete at STATE meets. They truly do not care if girls compete both JO and Xcel as long as they don't compete a JO State meet IF they want to go to Xcel Regionals. That was what the note said & I got clarification of this from the Head of the Xcel Regional Committee.

Reactions: COz

Early States is the end of OP's team's JO Compulsory season (even if it is not the end of the STATE's season). This is the perfectly legal (at this point) "loophole" they are using.

... and While World's are in July, they cannot have any meets in the 3 weeks before Worlds (it is specifically in the rules)... so they really end their season in June or earlier.

Reactions: COz
Again, I am sure this will once again sound strange to everyone. I have also had this conversation before. But we don't "have" to do every meet scheduled, although the coach would like us to. Again they recognize families have lives and other things as a well as financial concerns.

And before someone asks the question, again. How do they do fees? They are split by gymnasts attending, per meet. More kids lower fees, less kids higher fees. Yes the parents are OK with this as most of us do a majority of the meets but not every one, it all works out fairly evenly.

I try to keep my daughter to one meet a month.

First meet on our schedule is Oct. Meets stop in April/May.

There are currently 5 meets tentatively scheduled (I think) not including states, our lower levels do Early States, and who knows they could decide to change that, my daughter will 3 maybe 4.

Any plans beyond that are tentative and we won't have more specifics for a few weeks.

Other gyms in the area if they do not do Early States and are XCel or JO typically start their Season in Oct/Nov and end in Apr/May.

When all is said and done, we do about 6-8 meets. Roughly Oct to May.

When all is said and done, we do about 6-8 meets. Roughly Oct to May. [/QUOTE]
I am still very new to this gym, but this our situation as well I believe.

ks.

Other gyms in the area if they do not do Early States and are XCel or JO typically start their Season in Oct/Nov and end in Apr/May.

When all is said and done, we do about 6-8 meets. Roughly Oct to May.

Unless they make nationals/worlds...correct?

So you do less than one meet per month? definitely different but sounds like it works for you guys.

We do 6 meets, state if they qualify, and an intersquad meet before that all starts. It feels like a lot, but it's really only a lot because it overlaps DS's competitive travel ball season (until/if she moves to optionals, probably still another year out). DS has 9 tournaments during the same time frame, four of which are on meet weekends, and since tournaments run Saturday and Sunday all day both days, this ends up being really frustrating from a parent standpoint. Case in point, this weekend he has a tournament, she has her intersquad on Sunday afternoon. DW will likely miss the intersquad. First real meet is the end of this month and we already have session information. DD's session is at 6:30 on Sunday (UGH) but the saving grace is DW and DS will likely be able to be there, albeit late. I'll breathe in December.

Unless they make nationals/worlds...correct?

So you do less than one meet per month? definitely different but sounds like it works for you guys.
I have no idea about IGC yet that is why I put the question out there. Not 100% sure it is even going to happen. This is our third year competing with this gym. We have not competed past May.

We average/do one meet per month, depending on our schedules.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back