Vancouver BC?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jennemmy

Proud Parent
There is a possibility that my hubby may be transferred to Vancouver BC. My daughter is a 9yo lvl 6. Our current gym here trains elite (although that isn't her game plan). Any suggestions for possible gyms if the move does happen? Ideally, she would continue working with a strong competitive club. And what should we expect as far as differences in the programs?

Well, I'm not from BC, but in Alberta, and its pretty similar. I dont know about gyms there, but there is a difference in programs as far as levels go. Instead of being 10 levels, there are 5. L6 is probably about P2, possibly P3, depending on her skills. No matter what level she competes, every one has their own routines and music, its not all the same. Its usually split down into 4 categories for age, but its not necessarily by how old you are at the time but by birth year.
If she is close to L7, I would say that she would probably be P3.

Hope this helped.

I can't tell you a lot about the clubs, but I can tell you about the programme we use in Canada and in BC. Here is a link to the CPP, or the Canadian Provincial Programme. THe following is the full manual which will help with the FIG scoring that we use, no scores on 10 here! http://www.gymcan.org/site/files/documents/cpp_manual_en_-_2010-2011_august_2010_final.pdf

These are the main charts where you can see the skills required for each level. http://www.gymnastique.qc.ca/doc/2008-2009/00003998_2010-11%20CPP%20Charts%20EN%20-%20June%202010%20Final.pdf

Your daughter would likely be at the P2 or P3 level here, depending on her skills. Most likely P3. She would be in the Argo age group which this year means girls who are born in 2001/2002.

There is a separate training programme here for girls who may go onto Elite, your DD is not too young for it yet, they usually begin to compete "pre novice national" at 9 or 10.

THere are some high level gyms in Vancouver, Omega is one I would avoid right now as even though they have Elites and a development programme for them, they seem to be leaving in droves due to coaching issues.

Many of the Omega Elites went to Aviva in Coquitlam, on the East of the city. They have some great coaching there.

I had a friend who went to Flicka, it is in NOrth Vancouver. She always recommended it highly.

Vancouver is a beautiful city, I have both friends and family there and visit yearly, I would be thrilled to raise my kids there.

If you need to know anything else just let me know and I will try to help.

Thanks for the info. It is really helpful to have a general idea on gym atmosphere as it took a few tries to find a gym here that was a good fit. I will read a bit more about the Canadian program. She would love the idea of doing individual routines. She really wants to push thru 6 quickly for just that reason. Is there a place where results are posted on regional levels? That was helpful to see which gyms had girls who would compete beyond a state level when we came east? One last question, do you ever compete in US meets if you aren't at the national level? Like the Chicago style meet? It would be nice if she could still run into her friends in the future. Thanks again for all the info!

If you google BC gymnastics you will find their federations site. It is very up to date and has results linked. We love our optional system too, lots of fun for girls of any level.

To add some clubs do compete in the us, but usually only with girls who are L7 skills or above as the compulsory routines make it a real challenge for lower level girls.

Usually viral compete 3 or 4 qualifiers and then move on to Provincials, like State, for higher levels can qualify for easterns which are like regionals and after that there are Nationals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back