Vault Line?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone! I was just wondering how many of you use some sort of line or mark on the vault runway to know when to hurdle. My teammates and I always had a velcro strip or tape marked around 10 feet and that was where we hurled for the spring board. However, at most meets we went to, we noticed no other teams used one and we had to go crazy finding something we can use. Now my coach is trying to get us less dependent on using a line so meets are less of an issue. So im just wondering how many of you use something like this when you vault?

When your team is up, get some athletic tape (like for tape grips, etc..) and mark your hurdle zone. Take it off when you're done. Chalk lines work just as well, and rub it out when you're done.

Many many people don't use markers anymore, as the zone should change based on the size of the gymnast and how fast they run. They can help, but aren't necessary.

If you don't have the tape marker, is it "really" all that bad? No. Use it as a reference in practices, memorize the run and feel so should it not be there, you're not reliant on it, as you shouldn't be in the first place.

actually ryantroop, not to nitpick, we always mark the hurdle line for yurchenkos. it's the only way to know why they are off if they suddenly become off. some bring velcro, some use tape, and others chalk. trust me, if they must hurdle at the 25 foot mark, and they're at 24 or 26, we must get them back where they belong and right away. the mark for yurchenkos is critical. conventional vaults not so much but still could be necessary for something very high level where the hurdle mark could make the difference between success or failure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno, can you get away with markings in FIG competitions? I completely agree with you, but FIG rules don't always have gymnast safety in mind.

actually ryantroop, not to nitpick, we always mark the hurdle line for yurchenkos. it's the only way to know why they are off if they suddenly become off. some bring velcro, some use tape, and others chalk. trust me, if they must hurdle at the 25 foot mark, and they're at 24 or 26, we must get them back where they belong and right away. the mark for yurchenkos is critical. conventional vaults not so much but still could be necessary for something very high level where the hurdle mark could make the difference between success or failure.

Fair enough - I don't teach yurchenko approaches often (at that, Ive really only "taught" it once, as I prefer front/side entry vaults, and the individual walked in my gym with experience in the vault already).

However, the suggestions I made would still be valid in this case. I appreciate you pointing that out, though - learned something new :)

Dunno, can you get away with markings in FIG competitions? I completely agree with you, but FIG rules don't always have gymnast safety in mind.

yes, but now only velcro lines must be used and removed after each athlete, unless the line is the same for multiple athletes or teamates. they 'say' they don't allow chalk...but take a look where they hurdle. you can see chalk.

and too clarify, they never have the safety of the athlete in mind. only all that television $$$$$$$$ which dictates everything on the floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont really think that there should be a rule about using one or not, it should be a coach/gymnast's preference. However, I actually think I am vaulting better without the line now, because I'm hitting more of the top/front of the board!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back