Voluntaries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vbbf

Proud Parent
Thought it would be interesting to see what skills every1 will be competing for voluntaries in 2 wks. Not sure if there are many members on here that have elite track gymnasts that will be doing voluntaries. My dds first voluntary competition wont be till september 2014 but good luck to any gymnasts that will be competing in 2 wks.

Well we're not 100% certain dd will be fit for the comp, even though she's entered. She sprained her ankle before we went on holiday and although she's back to full strength and training she is a bit tentative on landings and her vault run up. She says it doesn't hurt, but she's not landing square and is taking quite a few little steps forward or back as a result... They wont enter her if they don't think she'll medal and if they start removing bonus skills to simplify the routines for her she will probably not medal. No-one's going to pressure her to be ready and there's another comp a couple of months later, so we'll just see what happens.

Her routines are:

Floor: round off 3 flics tuck back; front handspring to one front somi; split leap and change leg split leap; full spin; shoulder roll; flic straddle jump; think that's about it. Lots of lovely dancy bits. I LOVE her routine!!

Beam: Russian lever mount, BWO flic, full spin, split jump wolf jump, split leap, roundoff tuck back (new skill), or cartwheel tuckback dismount.

Bars: Upstart, repeat/drop upstart or cast handstand (straight cast hand is hit n miss and it's not supposed to be straddled so may be left out); squat on jump to high, long upstart, straddle undershoot with half twist.

Vault: Actually I'm not sure - she's training quite a few at the moment - handspring off table to stand on stack of mats then fall forward, half on half off, handspring over the table and front straight somi over block with half twist to land on tummy on a stack of mats. Not sure what she'll compete!

The only vault out of those she can compete in level 4 in age is the handspring up to stand on mats and fall forwards.

I wasn't aware there was a bonus system in place for levels apart from a giant. Straddle cast handstand is a barred move.

Hopefully she will be fit enough to compete.

Maybe it's different for each region then at voluntaries? I know that one of the girls is doing the half twist to land on tummy and another girl is doing a handspring vault to land on feet on a mat stack but with a half twist so she faces the table and a friend's daughter at another elite club is doing the level 3 vault for voluntary 4. I was told last week that they just haven't decided which one dd will do.

This is voluntaries, not compulsories and it seems that most of the girls are including most of their level 3 skills in the routines (inc vault). The way the coach explained it to me, the minimum they need to put in would be the basic compulsory 4 skills, but there are a few points available for bonuses on each piece. She said that most smaller clubs enter girls with routines containing the basic level 4 skills, so if they have a fall they can quickly lose the chance of a medal. Because the girls at dd's club have most of their level 3 skills already, they have a few bonus points available and so they can afford a fall and still score better.

I assume they know what they are doing!

http://www.british-gymnastics.org/t...ownload/4104-2013-wag-voluntary-level-4-rules

I thought voluntaries would all be the same and follow the BG new rules (link above). Nationals will certainly follow these rules in November.

All the vaults are to feet none are to land flat unless I have misunderstood the rules above. The half twist one you mention is included (tsuk entry)

The only set bonus is a giant but of course the more CR's you include and the more B value elements, the higher your start value will be.

I hope your dd is ready in time and has a great competition.

For voluntary level 4 I thought you had to do an acro line with 2 different saltos in for example a front somi walkout roundoff flick tuckback but i didn't see this in the floor routine flossyduck's daughter is doing so is this no longer a requirement.My daughter will be doing voluntary level 5.Her routines are :

Floor: roundoff 2 flicks straddle jump, roundoff flick straight back, front somi, double spin and change leg split leap change leg quarter turn(Johnson).

Beam: straddle lever to handstand mount, backwalkover flick or backwalkover then flick not linked because she has only just got her backwalkover flick linked, split jump straight jump, full spin and cartwheel tuckback dismount.

Bars: upstart cast to handstand, backward circle, squat on jump to high bar, long upstart cast to handstand, 2 giants and pike undershoot dismount.

Vault: handspring.

Wow, those routines are way, way harder than our level 5 girls are doing. In fact they are harder than most of our level 4 girls are doing! I'm pretty sure there will be five, six with dd, entered for level 4 and only one is doing two cast handstands and only two (maybe three) are doing the giants.

The level 5 girls bar routine is upstart, bhc, squat on jump to long upstart, straddle undershoot and there are no flics on beam, no straightbacks (not even any tuckbacks) and no double spins. I think I've seen one girl do a front somi. The hardest the rest of them are doing is ro flic straddle!

That's very impressive difficulty chocolate. Can she be credited for it all or is it just a case of competing what they can do? I sometimes get frustrated that the routines are so restricting and don't allow them to show what they can actually do in the gym. DD's level 5 routine was pretty basic as I recall and she could do a lot more, but it doesn't sound as though that's the case for you.

Just put dd to bed and talked through her routines. I'd forgotten the forward walkover on beam. She had been working on different variations of acro series and has a ro flic after the front somi ok and tuck back after it fine on track, but because she's had the problem with her ankle and is taking a couple of steps after landing the somi on floor she can't control the hurdle into the ro at the moment, so they've taken it off.

Although to me they are running out of time the coaches seem to be leaving quite a few decisions down to the last minute. I guess a lot can change in a week.

I hope she will get credited for it all. I think there is a bonus for doing a giant but am not sure about this because I've never seen the rules for voluntary level 5 for our region. I assumed most girls doing voluntary level 5 would be doing the same sort of skills as my dd so it's a bit surprising seeing the skills the level 5's from your club are doing compared to my dd.

The level 5 requirements vary hugely from region to region. Ours are somewhere in the middle of the 2 variations already mentioned. I haven't heard of giants in level 5 before.

Just texted my friend in another region, just out of curiosity, and their level 5's do very similar skills to ours. She was amazed at cast handstands, giants and somi's at level 5 and she's a coach, with a daughter competing at quite a high level.

Your daughter must be very talented. There's no way my dd was able to do some of those skills this time last year, but then none of her team mates could either. By voluntary 5 last year, only three of them had their upstarts, no cast handstands. They did ro 3 flics, handspring to one, handspring to two, but no somis.

Thinking on it, the level 5 girls this year do seem to be doing a bit less than dd's group did last year, but there's not a lot in it.

I hope she does well, good luck :)

Im quite surprised to see the level 5s only doing round off flicks with not even a tuck. I assumed voluntaries was when they got to do harder skills than the set skills for compulsories. My dd is quite ahead for her skills already so im hoping she will get to compete them in voluntaries next year. I wasnt aware of any restrictions though or not getting the credit for harder skills. I assumed the start value would just increase depending on the difficulty.

Im sure both flossyducks dd and chocolates dd will have great competitions, some very nice skills listed. Good luck to them

Vbbf's region sounds similar to ours.

I posted a while back about going to a regional level 5 comp and seeing bwo-bhs and cartwheel tucks on beam, straight backs on floor etc. didn't see any giants, but they are allowed as a bonus. I think the only disallowed elements are double somersaults and tsuks/yurchenkos.

There was an in- age level 5 with all those skills who also competed compulsory 5 earlier in the year.

I don't know what the national rules are though.

Im going to take dd to watch my regions voluntaries to support her team mates and it will be interesting to see what skills every1s competing. Shes very excited and cant wait to compete herself. She already has difficult skills for age so she would be quite dissappointed if she didnt get to compete them. Hopefully she will get to show them off

Not sure there are national rules, as there's no national final for level 5...

To answer vbbf, the difficulty value can't just go up and up, so only a certain number of acro skills, leaps and so on are credited/required at each level and once you have met the requirements, plus allowed bonuses, the rest don't score. I think. I'm doubting everything I'm saying now!

One of our coaches was telling the girls the other day that they wont put in anything which wont score marks for them, because it's the pits to get deductions on something which doesn't score you anything. She also said it's a crime to wobble on the dance elements, because you get a deduction for the wobble but no point for the dance move.

Maybe, that's why they keep it simple?

I don't know. Communication is pretty poor, lol and I gave up worrying about the detail a long time ago and trust they know what they're doing. Either I've completely misunderstood some things, or our coaches are in la la land. I seriously doubt the latter. Sigh.

Thanks, though

Oh another thought ... the code for compulsory level 4 and 3 etc has changed for next year and there are new, harder, skills at an earlier stage.

eg the flic on beam was a level 3 skill previously, but is now level 4.

So when dd did level 5 last year, she wouldn't have been expected to have a flic on beam for another year and a half, so level 5's weren't really worrying about that. So I guess that will make a difference to what girls are expected to have now.

But it does seem that our region they are given an easier ride at level 5, tusk!

Lack of communication ? In gymnastics ? Surely not ?;)

We would love to watch the voluntaries but its too far to travel unless she is competing ( mind you everywhere is too far for us :()

Our gym used to keep it simple in comps, and only put in skills that were pretty much perfect. Their logic was if a back tuck got you a 0.2 bonus, there was no point competing it if it was going to incur a 0.2 or more deduction - i.e it had to be spot on.

From my observation though, it did seem as though the judges looked more favourably on harder routines, as they did score quite a bit higher (and not just bonus higher) than very clean routines without the bonus elements.

Here are the level 4 rules: http://www.british-gymnastics.org/c...04-2013-wag-voluntary-level-4-rules?Itemid=27

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back