WAG Warming up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

No games, older girls lead with direction from HC. It’s quiet and serious...no silliness. I would imagine that warm-up could vary depending on the age/level of the gymnast.

Running and jumping they all warm up that way L2-L8

Do you happen to know what the rec kids do?
Sorry, I haven't BTDT in a few years.

Best as I recall the really littles do stretching things and obstacle type stuff. Usually in a circle/rectangle rotation. Hopping in hula hoops move to some rolls on the mat, move to walk across wide floor beam...........

Older rec kids do the usual warm ups, again, run, jumps, sprints.

my fave to watch as a parent is them walking on their hands various ways across the floor. my kiddo can now go the length of the floor and do it sideways as well. still working on walking frontwards. i didn't know this until a few weeks ago. it was so cool to see! lol

My middle kid just moved to boys rec from preschool classes. The boys and girls warm up together before splitting into their groups. They run, skip, jump and bear crawl in a large circle/oval. Then they do a bunch of stretches.

Preschool: usually a circuit of some kind, or some dancing, then everyone comes into a circle and some very basic shapes and stretching
5-9 (rec): warm up dance (more complicated, doing some active stretching, kicks, etc.) then gather and do stretching and shapes
Beyond that, lines across the floor, jogging, jumps, kicks, basic acro like rolls, handstands, cartwheels, round-offs, walkovers

For ages 4-6 we would do a bunch of different "animal walks" as a warm-up, then do some fun stretching activities. It wasn't a game per se but it was silly (while also trying to get them to work on shapes, etc). E.g. chasses are "horsey gallops", lunges are "elephant stomps", etc, etc. For ages 7-12 it would be more like the team warm-up, but condensed for time's sake - some cardio things with a gymnastics element, stretching, some attempts at kicking and jumping up to handstand.

One other nice option with younger rec kids is a game of Simon says, with appropriately aerobic actions. It's a way of working on listening skills as well as getting them warmed up. You can also have actions like, "circle your left arm back" and have them be out for using the wrong arm if confusing left and right is an issue you want to work on. Obviously you don't want kids to be sitting out, so you can just have them carry on playing but move to a different space on the floor when they are out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back