WAG WDYT? Don't ice injuries?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I use ice to numb the pain, but often switch shortly to heat... I don't use anti-inflammatory meds (except for one day after my shoulder was diagnosed and I was in severe pain... took a total of 2 ibuprophen from my script, lol).

I'll stick to ice, compression where possible, and elevation when practical. I wouldn't have gotten through my college days any other way. I know this because I tried to skip the ice regimen I used for tendonitis and bursitis a few different times and ended up with increased pain and difficulty moving through skills every time.

Maybe that was the nature of my condition, but I've used it with kids that increased their healing rates significantly when they got serious about icing properly and frequently.

I agree with the article in the main. Pain, inflammation and swelling are there for a reason, to help heal. Same with fevers, they are there to kill the bugs, so I don't treat those except to make the child more comfortable.

My own way of treating a minor injury is to leave alone, carry on as normal, and don't do anything that makes it hurt/worse. As with fevers, I'll only do something for comfort rather than try to *fix* it, ice 15 mins, heat 15 mins alternated is thought to be better than ice or heat alone.

I also think that trying to make the symptoms and pain go away with ice and NSAID's can lead to people not realising they are making the injury worse by doing too much- Pain is a good guide.

It probably also depends on the injury as to which is more effective- ligaments and tendons for example have really poor blood flow and take ages to heal, so heat to draw blood to the area is likely better than ice.

This explains why my ankle isn't as sensitive to ice and cold now (well except for the aching like an elderly person), though I'm going to attribute the tingling to my surgery.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back