Parents We might soon have one less team gymnast in our family

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
My 7 yo DD tried volleyball tonight and absolutely loved it. She can have a tendency towards being a "Negative Nelly"; but after that practice tonight she had nothing but positive things to say.

I do think that a large part of her love for it was the coaches - they were all so nice and encouraging. At the end of the practice the head coach told me, "She is such a great athlete and so coachable! She did great!" DD just BEAMED hearing a coach say that about her. She is a middle of the road gymnast (had a solid mid - high 34 year as a level 2) and I don't think that she has ever heard that sort of praise from a coach. I mean, she has heard that she did a good job and stuff; but never anything like that.

DD says that if she keeps loving it like she did tonight that she wants to eventually do volleyball more than once per week and drop down to just doing gymnastics once per week, not competing.

It would certainly save your pocketbook! My kiddo is lukewarm to gymnastics but likes her little community very much. She has never given me any sign she wants to quit, and it is good for her on so many levels so I keep her in. It's nice if your kid really has a passion for something, and it sounds like this might make her happy. And the saving money thing is not a trivial issue either!

Good for her. I hope she likes Volleyball and can keep up at least a little gym time. Gymnastics gives kids such a great base for other sports, most kids move on to another sport after gymnastics and the base of strength, flexibility and work ethic can only help them in their future sports.

Nothing wrong with trying something else or something new. She may change her mind, yet again, about what she likes better. But I really believe in exposing the kids to different things so THEY can find what they really love.

That's great.

We gave my DD a bow and arrow set for Christmas (gee thanks Katniss for putting that idea in her head!). It only took about 30 minutes of instruction and practice before she was hitting the target consistently. A second sport if she ever leaves gymnastics? Maybe so!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back