Parents Were you a gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nope! I can't do more than a CW. Softball was my life. If you had told me 25 years ago that I'd have two daughters and neither one would be on the softball field I would have told you that you were nuts!!!

Not I! I figure skated, played soccer and danced but I was fair to middling at all of them. I have no idea how to deal with having a kid who is really good at something, lol! We're winging it and I haven't ruined her yet. I suppose it's a good thing I don't know anything about gym or competitive sports! I think everything she does looks lovely. I can't figure out how a coach can see a bent knee or flexed foot when the skills happen so fast!

Not a day of gymnastics. However, I think anything and everything in this day and age is all consuming and ultra competitive. Team sports were rarely a year round sport during my time. I was a professional dancer, choreographer, owned a dance studio and dance was a year round activity, practicing around 15 hours a week for those that wanted to do it professionally. But once we got a show, we were out of the studio for months until the tour/show was over. Then back to the studio to get back in shape taking as many classes as we can to prepare for the next audition. I don't know what gymnastics was way back when, but 25 hours a week for USAG higher level gymnasts (there are still some threads in this forum that claim their 7 or 8 year olds are practicing the same number of hours preparing for TOPs, Hopes or elite) is perhaps the national average. Hope your daughter has fun doing this sport.

No. Junior national level swimmer. Swam on scholarship in college. DD was not interested in it at all. So gymnastics is totally hers, which is a good thing.

I'm pretty new to the whole thing- DD (recently turned 8) just started Xcel Bronze and loves it, but I wasn't a competitive gymnast and most of this stuff is new to me. Spending time at the gym I've begun to wonder if many of the parents were gymnasts themselves. I did some gymnastics as a kid and then spent years as a competitive diver, so I can relate a little, but gymnastics seems like such a world unto itself. Even just doing Bronze DD is working out seven hours a week and is so serious about it- very different from most kids sports at this age. So, as a parent, did you come into this having already been a gymnast yourself?
I was a rec gymnast - mostly self taught, but my cousin (a former high school varsity gymnast) taught me some skills.
However, I did play football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, track, and softball. My baseball team practiced 8 hours a week... and we weren't a high level. My gymmies practiced a max of 7.5 hours, so not a big deal to me, lol.

Yes back in the 80s when we had class I, II, III and IV :) I hate it at meets since I usually know what's going on with the scoring and can tell if she is going to get a low score. I'd rather be oblivious.

I have never voluntarily done anything athletic in my life. Ever.

I rocked the school newspaper back in the day, though, and I turned the pages on books like a boss. :D

Does being a gymnast in my head count? If not, then..Nope! In fact, put my dd in gym because she was so clearly NOT her mother's child in that regard! My specialty was distance running, because sprinting required too much coordination. Sigh.

I'm pretty new to the whole thing- DD (recently turned 8) just started Xcel Bronze and loves it, but I wasn't a competitive gymnast and most of this stuff is new to me. Spending time at the gym I've begun to wonder if many of the parents were gymnasts themselves. I did some gymnastics as a kid and then spent years as a competitive diver, so I can relate a little, but gymnastics seems like such a world unto itself. Even just doing Bronze DD is working out seven hours a week and is so serious about it- very different from most kids sports at this age. So, as a parent, did you come into this having already been a gymnast yourself?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back