What comes next when they aren't moved up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mochamom

Hi,

My daughter (age 6) has been in the rec program and is just finishing up (or I thought anyway) level 4. She has gotten down her beam requirements (cartwheels, handstands, walkovers, etc on high beam). She has also gotten down her floor, vault and bar requirements. Anyway I asked what was after level 4 rec, and they told me they don't know as no one had ever completed it before now. They don't know where to place my daughter, and she's getting a bit bored doing the same things. Three of the coachs says to move her up to pre-team, but the head coach says no. There is a pre team with girls my daughters age that the head coach coaches, but they are all quite a bit smaller (a head or more shorter) than my daughter so I'm not sure if this is why she is reluctant to move my dd up. The girls in this group are doing all the same things my dd does in her rec 4 class, so I'm just not sure what is going on. I tried talking with her, but she days my daughter is where she should be for now (even though 3 other coaches say she should move up).There are no other gyms around here and my daughter LOVES gymnastics (she goes 6 hours a week). I'm at a loss. :confused:

Sorry to be long winded, but any suggestions would help.

Thanks in Advance,
Amanda and her tall little girl -LOL

So, while I'm not saying this is the case, I'll share my experience with you -

It was rather eye opening and frustrating to me to see a head coach turn down a child for being "too tall" or "too 'big'" (also read "fat") and have them turned away. It angered me, and it made me, somewhat as an emotional response, a bit judgemental. Then I overheard said coach explain her point of view. She herself is 110lbs. If she forsees a child moving into level 8 or 9 and being more than 20lbs heavier than her, she won't be able to spot them if they get in trouble.

I'm not saying this is the exact reason why, but it may have something to do with it. I'm a 6'6" male who will take on any kid and coach them - I like the challenge, and I find it rewarding when kids who feel they "can't" find out they can. Not every coach is like me. Not every coach can spot kids like me - its a size issue.

While that doesn't fix your immediate problem, it may give you understanding of the coaches point of view. Since there are no other gyms, you can consider private lessons for "up training," or see if there is a recreational league available for competition - or as an alternative (some may frown about it but its still there) consider a ymca or ywca gymnastics program that runs off the usag code. It may not be as competitive, but she will be able to continue...

Maybe someone else will have some other suggestions for you... But where there is a will, there's a way. Gymnastics is rather addicting... But they say all things in moderation.

Good luck!

Ryan

I really hope that your daughter isn't being denied placement on team due to her height. That would be extremely short sighted of the head coach. Is the head coach the owner? If not, I would speak with the owner. Your daughter clearly has the needed skills. Why turn away a qualified paying customer? This does not seem to be a good business practice. If the head coach is the owner I would schedule a meeting and ask for a clear explanation. If this coach never intends to move your daughter up, you should know that now so you can make your decisions accordingly. Maybe there is another gym within a short commute or a Y program.

Perhaps I am a bit sensitive to this as I am 5'7" and my daughter, like yours is a good 6 inches taller than most of the kids in her preteam group. However, at our gym (I am also a team coach there) we have a history of having girls compete at the optional levels that are taller than me. How sad if they had been denied an opportunity to compete simply because they were taller than the average gymnast. We have a level 9 right now who is around 5'9" and she is awesome. (and our head coach is 5'0" maybe 100 lbs).

It seems really silly to deny kids placement on team because they are going to be tall. Most kids who compete at level 4 or 5 are never going to stay with the sport all of the way until level 10 so how tall they are going to be later really isn't a factor.

Good luck. I hope you can get some straight answers.

A good coach can make it work. If she has all her level 4 skills down then she works level 5 skills. Its not hard to do, while the other kids are working Front hip circles on bars she works kips and so on. A rec class shouldn't have to be one level, they should be able to cater for all levels.

I'd schedule to meet with the Head coach and ask what he/she is looking for in you daughter before she is ready for team.

If I were you I would press the head coach. Dont come across like you think your daughter is better than or deserves to be in the other group (even though it sounds like she is) Instead phrase as what does she need to do to make that group. What skills specifically does she need, not just "pass" rec level 4. Tell the head coach that is your daughters goal to move up and ask what she needs. If she has all these skills ask that the head coach watch her and tell her what she needs to fix. This way the coach cant say she needs to be smaller, or she needs to be younger. If she has the skills, there is no reason she cant be moved up other than a stubborn coach.

I agree with the others, if the head coach is not the owner go to the owner.

I would frustrated if I was you especially with no other options in the area for her to continue in gymnastics.

I think the writing is on the wall that you should find another gym. Are you sure about there not being one near you? Is it not a popular activity in San Francisco? Have you checked the nearby YMCAs and JCCs and county facilities to see if they have competitive gymnastics outside of a private gymnastics facility?

I am sorry but I can't get past the fact that she has her back walkover, cartwheel,etc on high beam and yet the coach doesn't want to move her to pre-team?!?! Not even regular team but pre-team?! That is crazy. I hope you can find a different gym. I agree with the above about searching again for some sort of facility that has a gymnastics program.

She's 6 and has a BWO on high beam? I can't imagine why she wouldn't be moved up....even if she is tall, she could have just had an earlier growth spurt and she may stay that same height for a few years. She seems way too young (and talented) to write off. It's downright confusing.

Here is another possibility... Does your daughter have trouble focusing -- more so than the other kids in the class? (I'm not suggesting but please think about it) If so, that is a very legitimate reason for her to be turned away for team where it is a safe issue when team kids are part of the time expected to do things on their own. Many kids at age 6 have attention deficit. That includes our older girl when she was at that age. Not severe but serious enough to be a pain to her teachers and coaches presenting a distraction in class. We were told by the team coaches at the time that she was held back for that reason alone.

Different gyms definitely have different standards for their team programs and some clearly do consider body type. Generally that's not such a problem if there are multiple competitive programs in the area. My dd moved gyms a while ago and she had kids on her current team tell her they came to the gym after her former gym, which definitly had a strict model on age an body type for team, refused to put them on team. It's a shame though if it's the only gym within a reasonable distance for you.

I would make an appointment with the head coach or owner to get a frank answer on this. I would ask about the big picture. Tell them your dd loves gymnastics and wants to move onto the competitive track. Then see what they see as her future. If they don't intend to ever move her into the competetive stream, you might have to figure out if there is another program you can make work for you.

Thanks for the advice

Thank you all for the advice. I am going to have a talk with the coach on Tuesday when we go in (and hopefully have her evaluated). I have had a talk with my daughters current coach this morning by phone, and she told me that the head coach of the younger girls is developing a team she thinks can progress together and fit well (meaning size wise). This head coach is a smaller person,(about 5'1 or so) and maybe seeing me (5'9) she thinks my daughter will be just too tall. I have no idea. I'm not trying to raise a future Olympian, I just want her to go as far as she wants and have fun doing it. She absolutely loves gymnastics.

I have thought about going to another gym or even the Y. The only problem with those solutions are the other gyms are about an hour away, and the Y has a long waiting list in my area. So for now we are stuck. I actually like the gym she is at, but I don't want her getting bored either. I'm afraid if she gets too bored the love of of the sport will start to fade. She does do other sports (Golf and Fencing), but this is her fave.

As far as the walkover and things on beam (LOL). We have a 12 ft beam sitting smack dab in the middle of our living room. Doesn't scream Martha Stewart, but she loves to be on it :D. She always keeps at it with no complaints until she can do the skill she wants to. We'll be moving it outdoors when the weather clears (Yeah!)

Again Thank you all. I will have that talk and let you know the outcome.

Have a Sunny Weekend ♥
Amanda in Ca

Here is another possibility... Does your daughter have trouble focusing -- more so than the other kids in the class? (I'm not suggesting but please think about it) If so, that is a very legitimate reason for her to be turned away for team where it is a safe issue when team kids are part of the time expected to do things on their own. Many kids at age 6 have attention deficit. That includes our older girl when she was at that age. Not severe but serious enough to be a pain to her teachers and coaches presenting a distraction in class. We were told by the team coaches at the time that she was held back for that reason alone.

She is the youngest in her group by 4-6 years. She has amazing focus though, and fits in well with the older girls. I haven't had any complaints about her ability to stay on task. It's just the opposite, she is sometimes too focused and will not give up a task (new skill, school work, ect) until it's perfect. A double edge sword sometimes-LOL.

Amanda

When you talk with the pre-team coach, ask some frank questions in a gentle way. Deciding a child's fate at age 6 seems rather silly. As someone else said she may have hit an early growth spurt and by 8 might be one of the smaller kids on a team. I seriously doubt this coach has growth charts all planned out for the kids she has in her pre-team group. Some of the little ones end up being the taller ones by the time they're 11 or 12.

I saw a girl come to our home optional meet competing as a L10 who was 6'. Now, she won't be going onto college to compete, but her coach said she was 5'6" and then hit a major growth spurt 18 mos ago. Girl decided she wanted to finish her career no matter what, so they did some inventive routines. It can be done if the coaches are willing.
Heck we have a female coach who is maybe 4'10" and she works with optionals who are all taller than she is---no problem.

I think you need to see where this coach is coming from. She may want more work on form, technique before joining her group. Some gyms are "picky" about moving girls from rec straight to pre-team without some extra work. If it all comes down to your dd's height though, then I'd call the Y and get on the waiting list and keep her in the rec classes until the Y has an opening.

I just wanted to share that I watched the Big Ten Championships today and Penn State had an awesome gymnast who is 5'8".

Mandi Rodriquez at Oregon State is around that height too. Plenty of successful gymnasts have been taller--Ashley Miles, Svetlana Khorkina.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back