WAG What do they talk about?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
When the gymnasts go up to the judges table before each rotation, what is the point? My DD says they introduce themselves to the judges and then the judges ask them different innocent questions (have you been working hard? are you having fun? where are you from?). What is the point of this conversation?

I found out last week that DD told one of the judges that she hasn't had a 9.0 on beam yet so she would really appreciate one. I wanted to crawl under the vault table when she told me that. :eek:

We don't do that to much anymore as a level 9, but before becoming an optional, we did those a lot. Since at my gym we start at level 5, its to take some pressure off the kids maybe? Since the judge asks the question "are you having fun?" Helps remind the gymnast meets at that level are supposed to be fun.

When I was a gymnast, they would just tell us our starting order (coaches aren't deciding here).

In the category I coach, the girls don't even go to the table, only the coach!

We do this to introduce ourselves to the judges and sometimes they ask some questions, sometimes they just say good luck. We call it, "meet the judges." It's just polite I guess... Little girls like it because judges are looked at having the "power," lol.

At my last meet, the judges just said, "Good luck, you'll do great" or that kind of stuff. My teammate and I like to joke that they are telling us we are going to do great and then they critique our every move;).

I found out last week that DD told one of the judges that she hasn't had a 9.0 on beam yet so she would really appreciate one. I wanted to crawl under the vault table when she told me that. :eek:

I will probably never meet you or your daughter, but I already adore her!

At my last meet, the judges just said, "Good luck, you'll do great" or that kind of stuff. My teammate and I like to joke that they are telling us we are going to do great and then they critique our every move;).

bwahahahaha!!!! That is SO true!

So, don't keep us in suspense. Did she get a 9?

Here the head judge of the panel talks to them briefly, checks with coaches if anyone is away and tells them who is going first (it moves each rotation) and checks the order. Generally the gymnasts don't talk to the judges.

I dont know quite how it is from the judge's table in artistic, but in T&T I am to put them in order, check them for jewelry, and remind them of their warmup procedure (1 run and 2 touches for tumbling, for example). And I try to be as unintimidating as possible, especially in the lower levels. I want them to be as at ease as possible-I want to see what they can do,not how anxious they are about being evaluated!

hehe, its always fun taking little level 1's up to the judges tables. I've had them make all sorts of comments to the judges like "wow, how come you get lollies (candy)", or the judge says "I hope you do well" and the kid replies "I will I practiced really hard", or the judge asks how they are feeling and they respond with "hungry".

At least she tried! A little guilt trip never hurts! My kids do it to me all the time, but I am apparently a much bigger pushover than those judges!! lol!

I never really thought about what they were saying to each other. However I have always wondered about warm ups. I have watched the judges watching the warm ups and I wonder if they notice 'wow that girl had a great warm up vault' or 'yikes, her bars need work' and then I wonder if they remember that during that gymnasts turn...or if really, they, like us, are just happy to get on with it?!!

I never really thought about what they were saying to each other. However I have always wondered about warm ups. I have watched the judges watching the warm ups and I wonder if they notice 'wow that girl had a great warm up vault' or 'yikes, her bars need work' and then I wonder if they remember that during that gymnasts turn...or if really, they, like us, are just happy to get on with it?!!

Sometimes it looks to me like the judges are trying very hard not to watch the warm-ups, which I think makes sense. As a judge, I would think you wouldn't want to have any pre-concieved notions of what a particular girl's routine will look like. And, of course, when there are two sets of equipment, the judges are often watching one group while the other group is warming up.

My daughter's first meet she went up to the table and scowled at the judges. After her coach pulled her aside and asked what was that... My daughter replied, "you told me to put on my game face."

Her coach said no more game face, just smile instead. Four years later my daughter still can't smile, but the game face is gone

My daughter's first meet she went up to the table and scowled at the judges. After her coach pulled her aside and asked what was that... My daughter replied, "you told me to put on my game face."

Her coach said no more game face, just smile instead. Four years later my daughter still can't smile, but the game face is gone í ½í¸›

Lol! We have a football picture of DS that reminds me of that. The photographer told the boys to put their game faces one. 31 boys and all the coaches are smiling and here is my son glaring at the camera like he wanted to hurt it. Still giggle every time is see that picture. Sounds like your DD takes herself very seriously

For us it's 'welcome to bars/beam/vault/floor' you will have ------ to warm up and the order in which you will compete is ..... (Checking we are all there) good luck.'

For us, it's "Welcome to /insert event name here/ /question about last event such as "did you stay on the beam"/ Okay, well good luck today, and have fun"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back