Parents What has your gym done in response to the Nassar Scandal?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not our gym, but a meet we went to this weekend-
The owner/head coach gave a little speech about how they support all the survivors, disagree with how USAG has handled the situation, and said as a symbolic gesture they were not going to send USAG the $1/athlete fee required to be paid for a USAG sanctioned event.

at meet in MD requires:

1) When the meet is over:

A. Send the meet results to the Level Representatives for each level competing (via computer).

B. Send $2.00 per gymnast competition fees to Region VII office.

Include a copy of the sanction.

C. Send $1.00 per gymnast competition fees to the State office, as well as a hard copy of scores. Include a copy of the sanction report form.

D. Send the original page to USAGym (address listed on form)

I also learned that the USAG get a dollar for every paid entry to the meet.

Interestingly enough, this whole thing has brought to light my first negative impression of my DDs gym. The HC told the girls, who were discussing this whole mess on their break (they’re all teens), that she thinks the whole thing is a pain in her butt and making her life harder. That’s it..sum total of what she cared about (or cared to add to their conversation anyway) in regard to the whole scandal- that it made her life harder. My DD was offended and told her that she bet that it was pretty hard what all the girls were going through too. Sigh. No one has to teach my DD to stand up for her beliefs, that’s for sure.

Interestingly enough, this whole thing has brought to light my first negative impression of my DDs gym. The HC told the girls, who were discussing this whole mess on their break (they’re all teens), that she thinks the whole thing is a pain in her butt and making her life harder. That’s it..sum total of what she cared about (or cared to add to their conversation anyway) in regard to the whole scandal- that it made her life harder. My DD was offended and told her that she bet that it was pretty hard what all the girls were going through too. Sigh. No one has to teach my DD to stand up for her beliefs, that’s for sure.

Good for her!!! You have obviously been a good example for her! And really, I cannot believe a coach would say that!!

The owner/head coach gave a little speech about how they support all the survivors, disagree with how USAG has handled the situation, and said as a symbolic gesture they were not going to send USAG the $1/athlete fee required to be paid for a USAG sanctioned event.
Things like this bother me though. If we want the organization to change it, can't do so without money. As well, protests like this may just mess up the competition (sanctioned events, score reporting etc.) system and could hurt the kids more than anyone else.

Our older athletes are discussing it, more the girls than the boys. The coaches have let them lead the way but have reinforced where appropriate. I've heard from more than one JO parent that the JO coaches on the girls' side have done a particularly good job in helping the L9 and L10 teenagers think through the deeper issues of autonomy and power. On the boys' side, the conversations have been more in the context of coaching, as three of our L10s do a little coaching and a few others hope to coach. The gym hasn't been communicating officially with parents. The work is being done privately and informally with the athletes.

Things like this bother me though. If we want the organization to change it, can't do so without money. As well, protests like this may just mess up the competition (sanctioned events, score reporting etc.) system and could hurt the kids more than anyone else.
I agree.

There is a time and place for things. Meets are not the time or place.

Reactions: sce
And who will be keeping the cash left over from owners grand noble gesture???

Are they giving everyone back a dollar?

Sorry I call BS.

Reactions: sce
at
I also learned that the USAG get a dollar for every paid entry to the meet.

Of course they do. They are a business.

Reminds me when we first went to our gym. They do a fundraising meet for the local charities around here. All the parents knickers got in a twist because it’s not a sanctioned meet and worrying about states.

Owner was like kids have plenty of opportunities to qualify. We all give USAG enough of all our money. We want the money to go to the charities. This was years ago.

And if the owner doesn’t pay is the meet still sanctioned?

Could be important to a kid who is qualify for say states?

Again I call BS

Like I said, not my gym so I don’t know more than what was said in the short speech, but they stated that they will be donating a portion of their proceeds to Take Back The Night. Maybe that includes the $1/gymnast not being sent to USAG.

Like I said, not my gym so I don’t know more than what was said in the short speech, but they stated that they will be donating a portion of their proceeds to Take Back The Night. Maybe that includes the $1/gymnast not being sent to USAG.
Ah a new piece of information. That shows a different picture.

Taking the money and donating it is very different then just keeping it.

To me, taking money meant for one purpose and donating it to an organization of your choosing- no matter how laudable that organization may be- is the same as keeping it. It is the gym's opinion they should not have to give USAG this portion of the fees and that instead this particular charity is the one that should be supported with those funds, and I am willing to bet that not every single parent/coach/gymnast at that meet agreed. Not that anyone is going to argue over a buck. Especially not when doing so might suggest one does not "stand with the survivors."

So, that announcement sounds like virtue signaling to me.

But this story really drives home for me how serious the fallout is becoming. If a gym can just say we are not going to give USAG their (I assume still legally rightful) sanctioned meet fee, and not fear any reprisal or problem, then that suggests the sport is falling into chaos. And history would indicate that chaos is not a place to expect safety.

But this story really drives home for me how serious the fallout is becoming. If a gym can just say we are not going to give USAG their (I assume still legally rightful) sanctioned meet fee, and not fear any reprisal or problem, then that suggests the sport is falling into chaos. And history would indicate that chaos is not a place to expect safety.
Exactly!

Yeah I don't really think it's cool to use the USAG structure/sanction to promote an event and then just not comply with the sanction rules. That's going to get us nowhere. I realize their hearts were probably in the right place but if they want to undercut USAG they shouled not hold a sanction event. The information in the first lawsuits went public a year ago so there's been plenty of time. Don't just jump on the bandwagon because it's cool now if you were fine with it when you planned and collected money for that meet.

Yeah I don't really think it's cool to use the USAG structure/sanction to promote an event and then just not comply with the sanction rules. That's going to get us nowhere. I realize their hearts were probably in the right place but if they want to undercut USAG they shouled not hold a sanction event. The information in the first lawsuits went public a year ago so there's been plenty of time. Don't just jump on the bandwagon because it's cool now if you were fine with it when you planned and collected money for that meet.
Agree. This is not okay. If they don’t pay the fees, the sanction may be cancelled and then all those that made a qualifying score at this meet may be left holding the bag if they can’t attend another meet.

I wanted to bring this back up to say that our owner/HC sent an e-mail today discussing the issues, talking about safe sport, and is looking at starting a committee made of parents, coaches, and gymnasts to study our policies and procedures to insure safety. He also stated they are looking at adding more cameras in the gym, as well as viewing screens in the lobby.

Our now-former gym owner told me last week that her number one priority is protecting her coaches. I pulled my daughter from her program the very next day (hence the now-former). I wish I had pulled her the moment the words came out of the owner's mouth, but honestly, I was so taken aback that it took me a while to process what she had just said.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back