WAG What is a beat jump?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
I was reading the level 6 thread below and people were talking about a split jump beat jump combo. I have never heard that term here.

TIA

Wow... that was the most British video I've ever seen. From the accent, to the manner of speech, and even the music in the background. Dare I say it was... stereotypical?! :eek:

Wow... that was the most British video I've ever seen. From the accent, to the manner of speech, and even the music in the background. Dare I say it was... stereotypical?! :eek:

I don't know what you mean dah'ling, now pass the Pimms !

Lol at the video.
However... The ballet video is showing a ballet changement.

A gymnastics 'beat jump' is actually a ballet 'entrechat' (I think that is how it is spelled) the video above of the gymnast on beam is correct, and we do call it a changement in gymnastics! Ha! #confusing

Found the entrechat video:

http://m.videojug.com/film/how-to-do-an-entrechat

Yes--a beat jump is an entrechat quatre, not a changement. A changement does not beat and lands with the opposite foot in front.

I do not see gymnasts using correct ballet technique on the beat jump. In ballet, the legs open sideways before crossing and beating, then open sideways again before returning to fifth position to land. Gymnasts "flutter" their legs back and forth without the sideways opening.

You guys are right. In ballet, it is an entrechat, though in gymnastics we sometimes (mis)call it a changement, as a changement switches feet, not "beats" and returns to the original position. My ballet teachers are rolling in their graves right now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back