WAG What is too much at age six?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's so interesting to me the disparity in the number of hours trained at a given level. I understand that the higher the level the more hours. I covertly checked with the three gyms in my area and they all appear to have 6 hours a week at level 3. Maybe it's more of a regional thing.

At 6 my DD was doing 12 hours JO plus 3 hours TOPs. She was fine with it, loved it, and lived upside outside of the gym too.

At 10 though (now) I think she is a little burned out and suffering some overuse injuries.

6 hours a week at 6 sounds lovely to me.

At 10 though (now) I think she is a little burned out and suffering some overuse injuries.
I keep reading about all these hours and wondering why I'm not able to get my dd more gym time. I know are lots of good reasons to hold back. Thanks for the reminder.

I've got to ask though. 15 hours at 6 years old. How many hours now?

I keep reading about all these hours and wondering why I'm not able to get my dd more gym time. I know are lots of good reasons to hold back. Thanks for the reminder.

Our dd's were (are, still got that hope @ kimute) on similar paths. They are the same age. At 6, my DD was doing 12 hours gym, 3 hours dance. Now, at 10, she goes about 30.

I am from Canada. A 6 years old here would normally train 9 hours max if she trains competitive

My daughter is SLEEPING DREAMING BREATHING gymnastics. She was an exceltion She was 12 hours a week and 4 hours more with the more competitive group ( older gymnasts).she is now 7 1/2 And would love to be at 20 hours but we are holding her down.

What do you mean by get her more gym time?

I didn't mean to hijack this 2 year old thread.
What do you mean by get her more gym time?
That was poorly worded. My DD is in joined level 2 pre-team in Sep and now and trains at the gym 4 hours per week. I mentioned to the coach when she joined that she's really looking forward to competing some day and that she wants more gym time. They don't compete at level 2 at her gym (or any of the gyms in the area) and her gym doesn't have any open gym time. I was told that the only option is privates but that she doesn't need privates now b/c she's doesn't have any problems/issues to work through. Basically, she's doing great and should be proud of her. I think it might be relevant that she's at a YWCA.
This is not a knock on YMCA/YWCA, just a statement of fact as to the focus of the particular entity; a gymnastics training facility is focused on training gymnastics while a YMCA/YWCA is focused on providing recreational opportunities to the community at large.
Something I wasn't aware of when she joined the pre-team. Also, based on my education through CB my DD doesn't do any gymnastics at home. Just stretches and strength training. She wants to work on skills but she's not going to do it here. She feels like she's really close to getting her BHS but according to her this week they didn't work on it at all. I know if she sticks with it I'll look back fondly on these days where we have time to spend (limited by my work hours, not her schedule). But right now it's hard to wait several days only to hear that the one thing she was most excited to practice and two classes in a row they didn't work in it. According to her (so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt) she's more advanced at most of the skills (so I partially wonder if she's being held back. MeetDirector unintentionally planted a seed in my head that she might not be at the right gym even though the point was that it doesn't really matter until around level 4.

At dd's gym, level 3 practices 9 hours, level 2--6 hours, level 1--4 hours. These levels combined have only lost 1 meet in 3 years, so I really think it's the coaching/work ethic/ practice agenda that makes a difference, not piling on more hours or restricting hours. I've been around this sport for most of my adult life, and I have watched phenomenal compulsories burn out from over-zealous parents piling on the private lessons and outside the gym practice. I have also seen mediocre compulsories who blossom at the optional level because they stuck with it and eventually it clicked. I have watched 2 girls go on to Div 1 full scholarships without ever taking a private lesson or attending many summer camps. I have also seen the ones who skip a few levels or score out quickly who do great and make it all the way through to level 10+. It really does depend on the kid, the training, and the good fortune of not getting injured. 30 hours will not help any aged child who does not have the mental fortitude or physical ability, while 9 hours can be enough for a child to be the absolute best gymnast in the state.

So don't fret too much. And remember that this sport is a marathon, not a sprint. Any given practice or meet can be their last practice or meet, so enjoy it. Admire their skill and be amazed at your brilliant gymnast, and try not to worry too much about what's next or if they're training enough/not enough. Believe me, simply climbing up on that beam and walking on is an accomplishment. [emoji23][emoji4]

My 7 year old is leaving pre-team, partly because 4 hours per week is too much.

That's funny. With all the talk about very high hours, I totally get that too. My DD plays soccer, dance, Girl Scouts and she wants to be in a play. We're forced to make her choose (not everything). She knows that if/when it becomes necessary she's got her priority list and for her right now gymnastics is on top.

I reall think it depends on the child, I have 2 where even what they have is not enough ( 8 yr old goes 14 hours a week , 9 hours level 4, 4 hours Tops and she does 1 hour private lesson with her bestie , that is more so they can have the gym time together than anything since they are on diff levels and don't see each other) 14 ur old dd goes more and is content but she is also a helper coach so she is in the gym even more with classes , but would never mind an private lesson. 16 yr old is at high school and she goes way less till actually season and while she wants more she is content as well .

Didn't read other responses, but it really depends on the child. My younger DD was 6 year old competing level 4 and training 15 hours. Now at 16 she is 22+ hours. At 6, my older daughter was still in rec class doing 1 hour a week.

I didn't mean to hijack this 2 year old thread.

That was poorly worded. My DD is in joined level 2 pre-team in Sep and now and trains at the gym 4 hours per week. I mentioned to the coach when she joined that she's really looking forward to competing some day and that she wants more gym time. They don't compete at level 2 at her gym (or any of the gyms in the area) and her gym doesn't have any open gym time. I was told that the only option is privates but that she doesn't need privates now b/c she's doesn't have any problems/issues to work through. Basically, she's doing great and should be proud of her. I think it might be relevant that she's at a YWCA.

Something I wasn't aware of when she joined the pre-team. Also, based on my education through CB my DD doesn't do any gymnastics at home. Just stretches and strength training. She wants to work on skills but she's not going to do it here. She feels like she's really close to getting her BHS but according to her this week they didn't work on it at all. I know if she sticks with it I'll look back fondly on these days where we have time to spend (limited by my work hours, not her schedule). But right now it's hard to wait several days only to hear that the one thing she was most excited to practice and two classes in a row they didn't work in it. According to her (so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt) she's more advanced at most of the skills (so I partially wonder if she's being held back. MeetDirector unintentionally planted a seed in my head that she might not be at the right gym even though the point was that it doesn't really matter until around level 4.

Remember there is doing a skill vs doing a skill with good form and proper execution. She may feel she can do some skills but the coaches may be working on teaching them the proper way. Also, kids like to work on certain things but there are lots of other parts of gymnastics to work too. The coaches might be holding off on some skills as there are other areas they want to focus on. This is different than holding a kid back.

Remember there is doing a skill vs doing a skill with good form and proper execution. She may feel she can do some skills but the coaches may be working on teaching them the proper way. Also, kids like to work on certain things but there are lots of other parts of gymnastics to work too. The coaches might be holding off on some skills as there are other areas they want to focus on. This is different than holding a kid back.
That's a really good point. It's very difficult for me to know which it is since my DD is 7 and she does her best to share with me, but she can't seem to understand that there could be a different POV. Since I don't drop-off or pick-up I could call/email the coach but I don't want to act like a CGD. How frequently I should be checking in with the coach. My DD has been on pre-team for 2 months and we had one conversation (or 2 if you count the introduction). Fortunately for me I've got the CB community acting as my mentors so I don't barrage her coach with questions.

As a coach of 4-6 year olds, I see some kids coming in multiple times a week where I'm like, "Why?!". I've have kids scheduled for too much gymnastics to the point where they are no longer excited to come to class, and kids who have fun but aren't really ready to learn new skills because of their developmental age and listening skills. That said, I have had one case where a five-year-old girl was mature enough and coordinated enough to actually get something out of multiple classes a week (other than fun).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back