WAG What levels can go to nationals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
On the USAG site I thought I found it said that level 10 goes to nationals, 9 to Easterns and Westerns and levels 6-8 top out at regionals; but another friend said that other levels definitely go to nationals. So... how does it work for girls?? What levels go to nationals?

Could your friend have been talking about something else? Like in T&T, all levels above L4 have nationals. In usaigc, all levels have nationals. I think YMCA starts earlier too. I always understood JO nationals to be a L10 thing too. There isn't even a regionals for L6- they top out at states.

In USAG, that is correct.

I think AAU and YMCA leagues have their own nationals for other levels though.

OK, good... I'm not crazy. ;-) I think that at least for Region 8, level 6 got added to regionals this year; but I was pretty sure that there was no nationals until level 10. But then, I still have a lot to learn, so I wasn't sure.:p

I do wonder if she is thinking about AAU maybe...

In Australia level 7 and above compete at nationals. We just would not have the population to support a level 10 and above only nationals.

In USAG, regional competitions are determined by each region for levels 8 and under, so the qualifications, levels that compete, number of competitors are different for each region. Level 9 and 10 qualify to regionals based on a minimum score achieved at state meet, which used to be 34 for L9 and L10, but now each individual region can increase the minimum score required at L9 (Region 8 increased L9 qualifying score to 34.5 last year. )Easterns/Westerns (l9) and Nationals (l10) is determined by the top set number in each age group. Age groups are standardized across the nation based on nation-wide data of # of competitors in an attempt to equalize the age groups.
L9 it is the top 6 (or maybe 7, can't remember off the top of my head) and Nationals has changed this year to add more age groups. It is also the top 6 or 7.
There are a few other details, like how they handle it when other regions don't have enough girls to fill their slots, but that is the basics.

OK, good... I'm not crazy. ;-) I think that at least for Region 8, level 6 got added to regionals this year; but I was pretty sure that there was no nationals until level 10. But then, I still have a lot to learn, so I wasn't sure.:p

I do wonder if she is thinking about AAU maybe...
In region 8, a lot of YMCAs compete in USAG meets as well as their Y League. If a Y parent was overheard talking about Nationals at a USAG meet, that could confuse some people.
This year, Y Nationals will have Womens L1-L7 and Xcel Silver-Diamond where the girls only compete against those in their session... and each session will award the top 1/3 in 3 age groups.
For L8, they come up with actual champions in 2 age groups as well as a L8 team.
L9-10 and Elite all compete in the Championship division (on supposedly equal footing).
On the Mens side, they offer L4-L7 and Championship levels.
I am not sure how AAU Nationals work.

Y Nationals,
EVERYBODY can go!!!!!!!
Yay!!!!!!
Not Xcel Bronze :( AND remember, they have to compete for their Y and QUALIFY).

I am trying to work on the committee though. If L1 and L2 can go, why not Bronze???

And if you can compete L8 by scoring 33.00 in L7 (and every "JO Level is similar with a certain score allowing you to compete up), why can't you compete Platinum if you score a 35.00 in Gold... and same for Silver to Gold and Gold to Platinum?

I also wonder why they allow crossover INTO Xcel for Nationals (L4 can compete L4 if they score at least 32.00 ... they can compete L5 if they score at least 33.00 ... and they can compete Xcel Gold if they score at least 35.00. L5 can compete L5 with a 31.00, L6 OR L7 with a 33.00, or Xcel Platinum OR Diamond with a 35.00).
To me, it would make more sense (especially with the L5) to NOT allow the Xcel crossover. If your girls are scoring 35+ in L5, move them to L6 or L7 during the season or at Nationals if the season is approaching. If you have an L4 scoring 35+, move her to L5 as soon as she has the skills during the season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back