Parents What to do coach wants child at gym at 2 and school doesn't end till 2:37

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You're correct that it doesn't have anything to do with homeschool. I was replying to a post by a teacher or professor who talked about trying to teach athletes who put sports over education.

Both she and I said gym athletes do not seem to do that, but it was just a microcosm of the bigger point here by most that education should come first.

It's very true that what is happening with many ncaa athletes is a failure of the American education system. Athletes in certain sports are elevated to the level of demi-God who can do no wrong. Teachers are willing to pass them to win football games.

The point of the original post I quoted is don't let your child be like this. She asked if anyone here had taught such athletes. While I've not taught, I have worked closely with them and was agreeing with her sentiments.

The point of the original post I quoted is don't let your child be like this. She asked if anyone here had taught such athletes. While I've not taught, I have worked closely with them and was agreeing with her sentiments.

I have too and I found the whole gamut of those who were completely committed to both school and sport and those that really only cared about their sport. Their level of readiness for college level work varied greatly, most often directly related to the quality of education they received at their local public school.

Early release for sport isn't necessarily a bad thing -- it just depends on how it is handled. The OP said that they moved to an 'elite gym' and the program started at 2pm. I don't think this should have been a surprise as many Elite programs require at least partial homeschool. If early release was needed in order to be in that program, then that should have been dealt with before now. If that isn't possible, choose another program.

I'd also like to note that there still are some excellent traditional public schools out there. One reason I very much doubt I'll ever pull any of my kids is that the junior high and high schools they are attending/will attend are quite good. Are they inflexible about release time? Yes, because of the state's rules, they must be. But the district has made a conscious choice to invest in education and to continue to invest in art and music. The junior high has two regular orchestras and a string ensemble, a select band, two regular bands, and a jazz ensemble, a regular chorus and two additional select singing groups. I can't even begin to list all the groups the high school has. DS the eldest has had strong enrichment opportunities throughout junior high and high school and will walk out with multiple AP and advanced courses under his belt. He currently writes and thinks better in analytical terms than many first- and second-year undergraduate students. I'm not a fan of rushing through college, but if he wanted to claim them, he will probably have amassed nearly a year's worth of college credits by the time he graduates.

I know not everyone has this kind of opportunity at their doorstep, but in our case, we'd be foolish to forego it.

Seeker, I'll be particularly interested to see what happens in the future with cyberschooling. I agree that now, a lot of unprepared undergraduates come from poor public schools where they were permitted to prioritize sports. However, I think that as recruitment from some of the marquee sports begins to shift from looking at standout high school players to standout club players, we'll see more and more of them coming out of schooling programs that Dad put together so Joey could take the necessary two weeks off for baseball spring training in Florida or so that Maria wouldn't have to miss any of her soccer tournaments requiring 14 hour drives each way. If I were designing a study to test this hypothesis, I'd look at baseball and soccer first, and then basketball. My seat-of-the-pants guess is that football is still primarily high school oriented, but I'm happy to be corrected if I am wrong about any of this.

Our gym has students from at least 5 different districts.

None have the exact same schedules. And in fact even with in the same district the start times are not necessarily the same. Mostly due to the expense of buses. So our district (smaller), high school kids start and end earlier, because older kids while more likely to be late sleepers can be waiting at for the bus in the dark during the winter more easily then Kindergarteners. Buses then turn it around for the elementary kids who start and end later.

District next to us (larger) even has grade schools starting and ending at different times. To minimize the hit bussing takes to the budget.

At our gym holidays don't line up. We have one gymmie back in school already, some starting the week before Labor Day, some after.
Some get a winter break, some not. Some religious holidays that others don't. We will be needing some make ups because practice is moved to mornings for holidays and there are a couple my daughter doesn't have.

Its always interesting to see the scramble when a practice is moved due to snow, trying to get practice in and coordinating all the schools emergency realease times (which are also all different).

This year, we are starting earlier. A lot of parents, including myself will be picking our kids up because the time it takes to get home via the bus is too precious and really puts the crunch on getting them to gym on time. But I don't think anyone is pulling their kid out earlier.

The gym does its best to make sure the kids aren't missing school.

My 2 cents:
I had early release for gymnastics in both Jr. & Sr. High. It didn't affect my ability to get an undergrad academic scholarship or get into grad school. Too many people confuse education with school. The reason I did so well in academics had nothing to do with the schools I attended, or how many hours I sat in their desks. It was the influence of my parents that made the difference. First and foremost, they shared their own love of reading and learning with us kids. Although I attended a top school district, my mother was the one who taught me how to write a proper essay (after seeing what the schools considered acceptable). I did well in advanced math thanks to my dad who helped me get through a period of time when I struggled in intermediate math (after spending a year with a teacher who had no success teaching me). My parents frequently discussed current events with us, talked politics and took us to visit historical places of interest (and we spent more time at these places than the 2 hour field trips the schools provided). My parents also allowed me to pursue my deep passion of gymnastics. All those hours/years in the gym ended up being the most important piece of my real life education. There were 3 of us at school who left early to get to the gym. All 3 finished college and took successful jobs in the corporate world. Two of us found our way back to the gym at some point and now coach :) I am throwing this out there, because there seems to be this idea that if you don't sit at a desk for a required number of hour every day you will end up illiterate and unemployed. That's just not true. On the other hand, I know a decent sampling of adults who ARE somewhat illiterate and underemployed and they did not get early release for sports! It's just not as black and white as some here are making it.

So does everyone get free school busses in the States then ? Here you only get a bus if you live more than 3 miles from your local school and you are on the bus route. My sons school has around 1500 students, only maybe 200 use the bus.

My 2 cents:
I had early release for gymnastics in both Jr. & Sr. High. It didn't affect my ability to get an undergrad academic scholarship or get into grad school. Too many people confuse education with school. The reason I did so well in academics had nothing to do with the schools I attended, or how many hours I sat in their desks. It was the influence of my parents that made the difference. First and foremost, they shared their own love of reading and learning with us kids. Although I attended a top school district, my mother was the one who taught me how to write a proper essay (after seeing what the schools considered acceptable). I did well in advanced math thanks to my dad who helped me get through a period of time when I struggled in intermediate math (after spending a year with a teacher who had no success teaching me). My parents frequently discussed current events with us, talked politics and took us to visit historical places of interest (and we spent more time at these places than the 2 hour field trips the schools provided). My parents also allowed me to pursue my deep passion of gymnastics. All those hours/years in the gym ended up being the most important piece of my real life education. There were 3 of us at school who left early to get to the gym. All 3 finished college and took successful jobs in the corporate world. Two of us found our way back to the gym at some point and now coach :) I am throwing this out there, because there seems to be this idea that if you don't sit at a desk for a required number of hour every day you will end up illiterate and unemployed. That's just not true. On the other hand, I know a decent sampling of adults who ARE somewhat illiterate and underemployed and they did not get early release for sports! It's just not as black and white as some here are making it.
well said junkie.

So does everyone get free school busses in the States then ? Here you only get a bus if you live more than 3 miles from your local school and you are on the bus route. My sons school has around 1500 students, only maybe 200 use the bus.

Depends on the districts

A more urban area or suburban area with sidewalks you usually have to be x distance to qualify for the bus as opposed to walking.

Where we live, country area, no sidewalks. Every student entitled to the bus, and almost all picked up at their house. Unless you live on a private road like us, we have to trek up to the town road for pick up. But yes every driveway. Get stuck behind a bus on our local town road it could take you 15-20 mins to go a mile and half if the bus doesn't wave you by. :mad:

EVERY DRIVEWAY! Blimey here there are set stops and you make your own way there, usually about 1/4 to 1/2 mike apart

Interesting that you talk about schools getting out so late. I just saw a news report here in California where parents were complaining that schools started too early! Apparently the early times are not allowing kids to get enough sleep. Guess no one will ever be happy. LOL

Here in Laguna the high school starts at either 7:20 or 7:30. Kids are released a bit after 2. In order to make this coach's demanded practice time, the kids would have to start school before 7. That's just insane.

I live in California too. Our local high school does start early, but it gets out late too. They go from 7:30-4:15. Last year, in 8th, my DD went from 7-3:15. It's pretty awful on their sleep needs.

We have lived places where everyone got a free bus, places where you got free busing if it was over a certain distance, places (now) where no one gets busing, and places where everyone could have busing- if they paid for it.

Ok apologies to the OP as this is wayyy off tangent, but in my state many, many parents hold their children back an additional year for the sole reason of helping them excel in sports. They think this will increase their child's chance of glory and scholarships later. How do I know this? Many, many parents have told me. UGH.

I live in California too. Our local high school does start early, but it gets out late too. They go from 7:30-4:15. Last year, in 8th, my DD went from 7-3:15. It's pretty awful on their sleep needs.
OMG....that is insane! Why not just live and board there?! What with the homework they pile on at that age, students might as well.

EVERY DRIVEWAY! Blimey here there are set stops and you make your own way there, usually about 1/4 to 1/2 mike apart

Here, it is distance related. Elementary school if you live more than a mile from the school, middle school, 1.5 miles, high school, 2 miles. We live across the interstate, so my boys get busing. But not at the driveway. They walk to the bust stop.

My 2 cents:

I do respect what you're saying, but to me it sounds like the key difference between your and the op's situation is the willingness of the school system to cooperate. Had your school system been uncooperative and your parents chose to do it anyway, who's to say you might not have experienced negative consequences in your formal schooling?

I believe education should be first and foremost and also agree that the parents have to reinforce that at home. However I feel like a defiant parent doing something the school board has balked on and doing so on a consistent basis sends a negative message to the child about respecting rules and authority. I could also see the school choosing to punish the child by announcing quizzes or other important assignments after the student leaves since the parent is refusing to abide by the rules that every other student is expected to. Those 15 or 30 minutes a day may not be a big deal to the parent, but the school has made its position quite clear, and school time is their time. I personally would not take the chance that my child might be penalized for a decision I ultimately made. I'd either abide by the school's decision and work out a different practice schedule or look at another educational outlet first.

I just wanted to weigh in on the wasted time in school point that someone made.

We are lucky enough to have a special high performance athlete program in the public schools here. It starts in grade 4 and runs through high school. Basically they fit the entire regular curriculum into a condensed 3 hr school day. They have 1 hr less per 2 weeks of art and music, and phys Ed is graded by the coach. Everything else is fit into that 3 hr day.

Obviously there is no lunch or recess, no library visits, oh and only 1 computer lab per 2 weeks. But all core subjects are fully taught. The class size is small, only between 12-14 kids. All kids are highly motivated and no behaviour or learning challenged students.

They also end up with no more than an hour of homework a day, minus special research projects that go on over time.

You would be so surprised what can be accomplished in a school day when all that other nonsense and the distractions are all taken away.

There are all types of athletes in the program, gymnasts, hockey players, figure skaters, dancers, tennis players, etc.

That being said, when dd was in grade 3 we started taking her out of school once a week 2 hrs early. Our regular school time is 9:00-3:30. Dd now goes 8:45-11:45 in her program. They also have an afternoon option of 1:00-3:00.

One thing I never hear mentioned about homeschooling: Isn't there a significant economic impact to the family? I work at home, so I have some flexibility, but if I were home schooling, I wouldn't be working. We'd lose my income, and in our case, that would mean that we couldn't afford gymnastics (or electricity, for that matter). A lot of times, I hear homeschooling tossed out as a solution to all kinds of problems, and I am just boggled that so many people can afford to do that. We sure can't.

One thing I never hear mentioned about homeschooling: Isn't there a significant economic impact to the family? I work at home, so I have some flexibility, but if I were home schooling, I wouldn't be working. We'd lose my income, and in our case, that would mean that we couldn't afford gymnastics (or electricity, for that matter). A lot of times, I hear homeschooling tossed out as a solution to all kinds of problems, and I am just boggled that so many people can afford to do that. We sure can't.
Depending on the age/independence of your child, it may work out just fine. There are many virtual options and many curriculums (esp for older children) that don't require you to be the "teacher". That probably wouldn't work with a 1st or 2nd grader, but could be just fine for 6th and up. Depends on your kid and how willing/capable they are of working relatively independently. They're certainly not "alone" if they're doing live-virtual classes, but those often don't require the parent to teach any more than you assist in a traditional school program (help with homework and projects).

Depending on the age/independence of your child, it may work out just fine. There are many virtual options and many curriculums (esp for older children) that don't require you to be the "teacher". That probably wouldn't work with a 1st or 2nd grader, but could be just fine for 6th and up. Depends on your kid and how willing/capable they are of working relatively independently. They're certainly not "alone" if they're doing live-virtual classes, but those often don't require the parent to teach any more than you assist in a traditional school program (help with homework and projects).
I fear I would spend my whole day saying, "Hey, get off of Minecraft and do your work!" :cool:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back