WAG What was wrong with this bar routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

And this is why you need to be careful about what you post online-it doesn't take too much work to find out your real name and your gym. If you're going to bump your age to post on chalkbucket, why pick 19 and then post video? Would have been better to pick 13 and then you probably wouldn't have been questioned, especially when you are so close.

Honestly, it wasn't great. I think 9.25 was generous. In JO Level 4/5 (which is about this skill level) it would be a mid 7 to low 8 depending on how nice the judges were feeling. You casts were low, your swings were pikey, your flyaway was low... To name a few... It's an ok XCel Gold routine. I am assuming that's what it was- XCel Gold?

Honestly, it wasn't great. I think 9.25 was generous. In JO Level 4/5 (which is about this skill level) it would be a mid 7 to low 8 depending on how nice the judges were feeling. You casts were low, your swings were pikey, your flyaway was low... To name a few... It's an ok XCel Gold routine. I am assuming that's what it was- XCel Gold?

Well there's no way to compare it to level 4/5 because it's not the level 4/5 routine. The judges would score this a big WTF if a kid came into a level 4/5 meet and did this routine.

In Xcel gold I would expect this to get a 9.2-9.5 for the quality if the cast was horizontal. Since the cast was not horizontal I would expect it to get lower. But I don't think the judges gave it a 9.5 SV and came up with a 9.25, so I have to assume they gave the cast. Cast notwithstanding, this is about a 9 for Xcel bars in most places since it was connected with straight arms and decent dynamics. Really, toes not pointed in flyaway? If you guys think US judges in a lot of places are deducting much for the foot form in this example, you're mistaken ;) this isn't the 80s anymore. I'm not saying I agree, I'm just saying 9.8-9.9s are winning state meets in some places so 9.2 doesn't even place in a lot of cases. Should the routines score this high, my personal opinion is no, but they do, and maybe it really doesn't matter.

Age aside, I definitely don't think this would be a mid 7 - low 8 for level 4. The main problem is the step and the casts. She has solid kips. And there is the fly away needing to be higher (which wouldn't be there if she were a level 4). The problem is the casts. They need to be horizontal or higher and aren't. But with the solid kips and it being well connected I'd guess it would be a mid - high 8 for level 4, easily mid 9s if the casts were horizontal.

I doubt you are old enough to be here. If anyone knows the truth let me know. My ban-hammer is twitchy.
Take your twitch meds, Bog, lol ... I did some sleuthing and found out that she competed in a 14+ age group earlier this season and should be in the 8th grade based on last school year's honor roll list at her middle school, so 14 makes sense. She just LOOKS and types young :)

Take your twitch meds, Bog, lol ... I did some sleuthing and found out that she competed in a 14+ age group earlier this season and should be in the 8th grade based on last school year's honor roll list at her middle school, so 14 makes sense. She just LOOKS and types young :)
Oops... I got the wrong one... the one i looked at was 1st place, not 4th. My bad. Please delete.

Looks like she was in session 4, which included birthdates from 6/1/02 to 1/6/03.
Yep, that was what I found out after a PM had me re-looking. Based on the time of her post, I had her in Session 8... where another Sarah had the same bar score.

If she is reading, and is Xcel gold, then from what I read the requirement is a horizontal cast. So she missed that too. That would be the big think to fix.

Well there's no way to compare it to level 4/5 because it's not the level 4/5 routine. The judges would score this a big WTF if a kid came into a level 4/5 meet and did this routine.

In Xcel gold I would expect this to get a 9.2-9.5 for the quality if the cast was horizontal. Since the cast was not horizontal I would expect it to get lower. But I don't think the judges gave it a 9.5 SV and came up with a 9.25, so I have to assume they gave the cast. Cast notwithstanding, this is about a 9 for Xcel bars in most places since it was connected with straight arms and decent dynamics. Really, toes not pointed in flyaway? If you guys think US judges in a lot of places are deducting much for the foot form in this example, you're mistaken ;) this isn't the 80s anymore. I'm not saying I agree, I'm just saying 9.8-9.9s are winning state meets in some places so 9.2 doesn't even place in a lot of cases. Should the routines score this high, my personal opinion is no, but they do, and maybe it really doesn't matter.

Agreed. This was a decent routine. A little tidier on the dismount, a little higher and tighter on the casts and it will be a lovely routine. And if Sarah is reading this , we expect to see that routine looking fabulous when you come back aged 14! It is all there keep working away on the details and good luck.

I also thought it was a great routine. 9.25 is probably appropriate because of the errors listed above, but the kips were beautiful and the casts are good, just get rid of the arch!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back