Parents What would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xrachx

Coach
Proud Parent
DDs next comp is in 3 weeks time, the one she's been training for since Nov.

She's on a school break at the mo, and is meant to be off with her best friends one day this week. I found out her friends mum is thinking of taking the girls to a roller disco, which sounds fab....

But...

The CGM in me has reared her head and gone, this is a stupid idea. DD is bound to get injured and end up not being able to compete (she's never roller skated before). And now I'm debating saying DD can't go.

What would you do?
I know I can't wrap her up in bubble wrap until the competition, but I'm so scared she's going to get hurt and it would devastate her to not be able to compete after all her hard work :(

How about talking to the Mum and saying that you just wanted to let her know that she wouldn't be able to go to the Roller Skating but perhaps could catch up with them afterwards if they decide to go skating?
If she hasn't decided on an activity this gives her an opportunity to choose a different one if she was choosing between a few.

Ask her :)

She's a bit older isn't she? If she understands that she could be risking her comp, does she think it's worth it? Does she think it's worth missing the roller skating? If it would devastate her as you say then she should see the sensible thing is to miss, or as Coz says, go and watch and join in the after activities.

There'll be other roller skating parties, there'll be other gym comps. If she really wants to go skating, and is happy to take the risk and miss the comp on the slight chance she injures...

I'd let her if she wants to go.

I am letting my level 8 dd go ice skating tonight for a birthday party. You have to weigh the risks and I did think about it. But she rarely sees her school friends and it is a birthday party during meet season that she actually can attend. That doesn't happen often.

My dd broke her leg skiing, which took her mostly out of the gym for nearly 2 months. She isn't going to get to do her level 5 score out as she had planned. She is bummed; but doesn't regret going skiing. Let them be kids.

If she wants to go, let her go. Dd went skiing last weekend (having only gone once before 2 years ago). There is a much greater chance of injury with that than rollerskating, but it never even crossed my mind to have her not go in case she got hurt.

Also, remember that our gymmies are much more aware of their bodies than other kids. They know how to fall, they are flexible, they are strong & coordinated. She can probably pick up skating much quicker than many kids!

I know a kid broke her ankle stepping off the curb after practice. Life happens.

Reactions: sce
We have just done a week of skiing. I would only skip our skiing holiday if my DS was going to the Olympics AND had a shot at a medal. Seriously, it is tricky - but our injuries last year were due to tripping whilst running, warming up in the gym and messing around with a football. I would let her make the decision - she only gets one childhood.

How old is she? I would just tell her to be a little extra careful. DD was skating around Grandma's parking area before her first States, and I practically followed her around, saying, "Remember - STATES!" LOL.

Kids need to be kids. I would let my kids go. We have kids at our gym that have broke an arm falling off a bike. You can't put them in a bubble. It's only skating.

From the UK and knowing how often our gym competes (not necessarily all gyms) I would pull the skating if she isn't reasonable. My DDs gym only entered 3 comps last year and due to injury she only got to compete in 1, it is 11 months since she last competed and isn't doing grades next month due to...... injury. It is hard on her missing out after all the hard work, but skating can happen after grades IMO.

It's not actually that common to get injured roller skating, not even on the first time.

Reactions: sce
Let her go. She is a kid. Let her know the risks of going, but she isn't going to the olympics and should be allowed to go. I sprained my ankle and broke my toe skiing, and missed 2 meets, but I didn't regret skiing at all.

I know I can't wrap her up in bubble wrap until the competition, but I'm so scared she's going to get hurt and it would devastate her to not be able to compete after all her hard work :(

I favor the life happens attitude but there are always other considerations. The answer needs to come from you and your dd, and should be based upon all factors including......

What level.... national program in the balance, or school ground bragging rights?

Any other comps 10-12 weeks after the presumed devastating injury so she at least gets one last meet.

Will you folks feel a need to hide this from the coach or dd's team mates.

I've seen coaches take kids off their team for less.

Ask John Quiñones?

john-quinones.jpg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back