Parents What's your child's goal and when did they make some?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD is 10 and she only just recently began to understand the sport enough to have long-term goals! So, she said she wants to go gymnastics in college, but I think her real long-term goal is make it to level 10 and be like our top level 10.

Short-term goal would be to get her kip and be more consistent with her squat on low bar!!

Great thread!!

I agree that they have to be a bit older and have understanding to have long term goals. I always raise an eyebrow when a parent in the viewing area at the gym tells me their 5 year olds goal is to be an elite. I think being young and saying, "I want to be like Nastia" maybe, but they don't really understand too much about what elite is.

DD goal is to be Level 10 and do colleege gymnastics BUT only for 1 college and 1 particular coach.

The goal of college is achievable for her it is a Divison 3 school. The question will be where will the $$ to pay for it come from. LOL

Level 10 well..... she is a hard worker and a few former coaches never thought she would make it this far (Level 8 currently) so she could do it.

i always tell her to beleive in your dream and work hard and who knows what can happen.

My goal for her remain major injury free......and not to loose any skills...LOL....that is the joys of Optional gymnastics

Well maybe she'll settle for a Div I school and a full scholarship:D!

I agree that they have to be a bit older and have understanding to have long term goals. I always raise an eyebrow when a parent in the viewing area at the gym tells me their 5 year olds goal is to be an elite. I think being young and saying, "I want to be like Nastia" maybe, but they don't really understand too much about what elite is.

Boo started saying she wanted to be an elite gymnast two years ago after watching the Olympics. She asked me what level Shawn and Nastia were and I explained to her that they were elite. Then the following spring, we had season tickets to the UGA Gymdogs. She asked me if they were "level elite" and I told her that yes, most of them were. Somewhere in there she decided that she wanted to be elite also.

Boo's immediate goals are to get her full and her Yurchenko so she can compete level 8 this season. Medium term goal is to try for HOPEs in a couple of years. Long term goals are elite, and college gymnastics while she becomes a veterinarian (which should be interesting considering she's grossed out by the cats' hairballs; :D).

This morning I asked DD what she'd like for breakfast. "Chocolate" she replied. Me too says I - but what do you want for breakfast? This time she asked for the super-healthy cereal with a bit of chocolate milk mixed in with regular because she thought she'd be in with a chance.
I was feeling a bit inspired so asked what she'd like in gymnastics. "The biggest medal in the whole world that beats everybody else". What do you really want in gymnastics - is that the same? "What I really want is to get to a really big number" (high level).
Ahhh - the wisdom of childhood!! :cool: I find it really comforting that the ones dreaming about the Olympics are so plainly the ones who have that sort of potential, and little girls like my DD dream just a little more modestly. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexis {7y/o} ... she just wants to get back into the gym. Last week she was diagnosed with very mild scoliosis (we had taken her to the chiro because she hurt her hip... he diagnosed her with scoliosis and said he would do treatments to cure it... as of yesterday he said no gym or ANY activity for 6 months. Seeing a doctor today and after lots of research... I don't see any reason she should stop gymnastics because of her scoliosis... so hopefully she'll be back into the gym soon)!

There is a girl on my dd's level 4 team who battles a mild form of scoliosis. sometimes she has to wear a sort of back brace at the gym, but it has not stopped her at all...

My dd's goal is that she wants medals and trophies...She's mesmerized by the bling! lol...
My ds started gym as a rival thing with his sister, but now he loves it and is working very hard. I don't know yet if he really ever wants to compete(even tho he is on preteam and heading that way) but he LOVES the strength and conditioning it has given him for his other sports that he plays...

I just asked my 8 yo what her goals for gymnastics are and she said "To get to level 7 so I can have my own routines and I want to have 'Eye of the Tiger' for my music." I asked her what her short term goals are she said "Compete level 5 this year and get 8s on everything by the end of the season, maybe a 9 on beam."

Funny how kids think sometimes. Her and a teammate who is almost 9 were in the car and my little one asked the friend how old she was. She told her 8 almost 9. My DD said "We grow up so fast." And her friend said, "I know! Just think, soon we will be 13!!" And my DD said, "I hope we are still friends then." Then her friend said "I am sure we will be if we are still in gymnastics. I know I will still be in gymnastics." "Yes, I will still be in gymnastics then," said my DD. "I think we will be like level 6s by then," says her friend. And mine says "No probably level 7s, or 8s or maybe even level 9s!" They are too cute. :D

Too Cute!!!:)

This morning I asked DD what she'd like for breakfast. "Chocolate" she replied. Me too says I - but what do you want for breakfast? This time she asked for the super-healthy cereal with a bit of chocolate milk mixed in with regular because she thought she'd be in with a chance.
I was feeling a bit inspired so asked what she'd like in gymnastics. "The biggest medal in the whole world that beats everybody else". What do you really want in gymnastics - is that the same? "What I really want is to get to a really big number" (high level).
Ahhh - the wisdom of childhood!! :cool: I find it really comforting that the ones dreaming about the Olympics are so plainly the ones who have that sort of potential, and little girls like my DD dream just a little more modestly. :)

Too cute!!!

My 4y/o dreams of going to the Olympics... but she obviously has no idea what it takes to achieve that goal. And, of course, at the age of 4 there is no way to tell if she has the capability to be good enough to go to the Olympics or not. LOL! Still, I LOVE that she has such big dreams at such a little age.

Fun thread. When my DD was younger she was so certain that she was going to the Olympics to win a gold medal. I think she is being to realize just how hard that will be. She told me while watching the Covergirl Classic that she really hopes she is good enough to be an eilite someday. Her short term goals are to get her gaint and have a good L7 season. She also wants to be ready to move to L8 next year.

This thread made me curious because I know my daughter (who is 6) makes daily goals for herself for practice, but we have never talked too much about long term goals. I asked her this morning and with no hesitation she replied "to do a round-off BHS back tuck." Well ok then.

I asked my son (who is 4) and his goal was to get into the big gym and do pommel horse so he can compete like his big sister. :)

My 5 year old dd asked on the way to gym today "Mommy, when do I get a locker at the gym?" Funny how a locker at the gym is her goal, not a medal, not a skill. She will be waiting a long time.

I can totally get the locker thing. Lockers are cool! My youngest is still waiting to get one at school. One more year to go she says!!!

My 5 year old dd asked on the way to gym today "Mommy, when do I get a locker at the gym?" Funny how a locker at the gym is her goal, not a medal, not a skill. She will be waiting a long time.

Getting a locker was a huge deal for my DD too. When she was a bit reluctant to be on L4 team and asked to go back to preteam I told her it was okay, but she'd have to give her locker back.

7 yr old DD's long term goal is to be a pop star like Miley Cyrus!

Her goal for the next few months is to get a good mark in her ballet exam. She would also like to win a prize at the end of the year (last year she got second in her class).

In gymnastics she doesn't have a long-term goal, she just wants to keep up with her classmates and do well in the competitions, and she loves to get any kind of prize.

Today in class they could all do a back bend except for her, the coach had to help her, but she has been practicing working towards this at home, so she tried it again at home after class and she finally got it!

Last year one of the upper level girls who also does the High School team was quoted as saying that her goal was to place higher than she did the previous year at states so Liv took that goal too. She practiced really hard and kept in mind that she just wanted to place higher than she did the previous year at states, even if it was by one rank. Her goal was met :) and now she wants to place even higher this year at states. She also talks with her teammates about being on a college team like the older girls in her gym (several have come back to work out at the gym so she chats with them)

Last edited:
I asked Grace this last night and she said she had a few goals:
  1. Do a roundoff BH, BT (she's got the first 2, but is still working on the 3rd)
  2. Back walkover on high beam (she just got it on the low beam - YAY!)
  3. Cast handstand on the bars (I have a feeling this will take quite a while -- bars is not her strong suit - haha)
I'm glad she has goals though. :)

Pickle's goal is to be an astrophysicist.

Last year she went to a space camp that was mostly science, but they did a little bit of astronaut physical training. She was the only child in ANY age group to pass the endurance tests. So gymnastics is helping towards her goal of being allowed on manned space flights (not as a pilot, just as a scientist).

Well my middle dd wants to have her full twisting layout by the time she's 11 so she can compete on a Youth 5 team (cheer).
Her short term goal is to get her ROBHS series, she has her standing BHS.
Little dd wants to get her forward roll!

All my kids work for SillyBandz, I own stock in them a dole them out for a job well done :)

My dd's goal is to be level 10 when she graduates...she is currently level 9 with only two more seasons to go. She is 16. Then she wants to go to college and get a degree in Phys Ed and teach at the middle school level. She also wants to start coaching gymnastics as soon as she graduates high school which shouldn't be a problem with her experience.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back