Parents What's your child's goal and when did they make some?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Immediate goal for my gymmie is to never see the orthopedic surgeon again!

LOVE IT!!! And I agree that that's MY goal for MY gymmie too!!

In all honesty, DD just takes each skill /level as it comes. Right now, she just wants that darn cast to handstand. It's so much harder for her b/c she's not a tiny 50 lb. little girl!! And she wants to be successful at L7 and move to L8 as soon as possible!!

Well my middle dd wants to have her full twisting layout by the time she's 11 so she can compete on a Youth 5 team (cheer).
Her short term goal is to get her ROBHS series, she has her standing BHS.
Little dd wants to get her forward roll!

All my kids work for SillyBandz, I own stock in them a dole them out for a job well done :)

Wow...Great idea!!! My kids love those things, too...I wonder if that would work for homework and house chore motivation, too...lol

I just asked my boys what their goals are and my 6 year old, EJ, said"To do a round off back handspring" and then his five year old brother, JJ, said " To do a round off back handspring before EJ." But then... EJ says - "I guess that's fair because I always beat you at wrestling." And then they went outside to play.

I thought that my DD's dream was the Olympics just because I figured that it was every little girl's dream. However, I was surprised when her HC asked point blank what she wanted to accomplish doing gymnastics and all DD said was that she wanted to do some of the cool things that the Optional girls were doing. Hmmmm. :rolleyes: I am actually relieved! Hopefully she will be there soon and then she can set some new and attainable goals at that point.

Past couple years our only goals were to try and do better each meet. To try and not look at where she was on the podium or score, but to know she tried a little harder to improve her routines. She did L4 as a 6/7 yr old so we never really tried to put pressure or stress on her & always emphasised she should be having fun while getting comfortable at meets.

Last year as a L5 we did go into more detail about goals of the season. She wanted to do well on bars & was looking for a 9 by end of season, which she did not get, but instead found a new love of beam! Also, vault was shaky. This year she is very vocal about her own goals. She is looking to improve her AA score as a 2nd yr L5, has increased her run distance and speed for vault, so wants 9's again like in L4. She wants 9's on her beam. Bars, she doesn't seem to be loving, but she has conqured a fear of giants and readily volunteers for strap bars to practice on her own. She loves to tumble and is looking to weasle some ways to do some upper skills there this season too. She has her ROBHSBT and can do a layout. Becasue she has a "twist" when she dives, she wants to put it on the floor. Not sure they are ready for her to be doing that yet, LOL

Sometimes she writes her goals down and hangs them up on her door. Sometimes she will write it on little piece of paper and stick it under her pillow the night before a meet. Sometimes she just talks about it before a meet, what SHE wants to do. If she misses her "goal" we try to find somewhere else she was sucessful, not maybe one of her goals, but something positive to take from her meet experience.

changing goals

My daughter, Jamy's, original goal was to become an elite gymnast like her cousin, Anja. At the end of her level eight season Jamy tried to qualify for Hopes in the very last qualifier of the season at Airborne in Santa Clara, CA. she qualified on the Optional part of the test but not the Compulsory, mainly because she was deficient in her bars skills.

Several months later at the beginning of the next season, as a level nine, Jamy qualified for the compulsory portion of Hopes at Gymmax in SoCal. But only the compulsory test was given at Gymmax so we planned to test both compulsory and optional at the Metroplex in Dallas a few months later in February.

For the next 21/2 months, Jamy trained on what we thought were the FIG bars configuration. We got to the Metroplex from the airport only a half hour before the competition. Jamy started with a pretty nice vault(Yurchenko tuck)which earned her a 12.7 FIG score. We were pretty happy with that. But then Jamy went to the beam and immediately on her warmup there appeared to be something wrong. She just did not seem comfortable. When she went around on a forward giant, Jamy cracked her heals on the lower bars. We discovered that Jamy had been training on a configuration that was not FIG. The actual FIG bars were six inches closer together. Although Jamy competed on three consecutive days, she was in a cast and boot for the next two months. She had one tune up before states at Techniques in Racho Cordova(near Sacramento, CA). She did well at states, coming in third and got her highest score of 36.250 at Regionals, but she did not qualify for Westerns as she was in the hardest age group at the time.

Jamy's injury seemed to take the wind out of her sails. She no longer wants to do elite. She stopped doing two a day practices. Now her goal is to do NCAA gymnastics. We had her repeat level nine last year and she won her age group at Westerns with a 37.5. We hoped that this might re-light the flame inside her and encourage her to try for elite again. But she still only wants to do NCAA in the future. This is still a tremendous goal. Probably the only people somewhat disappointed is me and her coach. But as long as she is happy...And I really would be stupid if I were disappointed with her accomplishments so far.

So right now Jamy's goal is NCAA. She is doing level ten this year. But she is only entering highschool and is still four years away from college. Realistically then, her present goals are to stay out of injury and learn as many skills and routines as she can. Jamy is presently working on a Yurchenko layout full on the vault , otherwise a Yurchenko tuck full in the mean time; a bars combination with a toe hect, shoot over, Geinger(sic) and full-in-dismount on the bars; a floor exercise with(I'm not sure of all this) 11/2 punchfront, a full-in(maybe,hopefully) and I'm not sure of the 3rd pass; and on the beam a forward aerial, a layout-stepout, a side somi and a (?)dismount...I'm not sure what, she did somekind of twisting dismount last year.

Goals change as our daughters grow and advance in gymnastics. My role is to be supportive of my daughters goals. My goal is to not be an obsessive gym parent and project my feelings on her. Gymnastics is tough enough already without dad's preoccupations.

Julio Garcia,
Jamy Garcia's dad.

My daughter just turned 5 and is on preteam. Her goal is to compete in China. I have no idea where that came from- we have no elites at our gym. I just tell her to keep on working hard.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back