WAG When are competition levels decided?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This month (August) is when our coach decides. I know she officially a 4 because I just paid for her first meet. Are all her skills sharp? I doubt it, but she has them. Missing skills and she wouldn't have been moved. About 8-10 weeks until their first meet.

DD's old gym decided in October for the spring season. I'm not sure how it works at DD's new gym, but she is repeating this year so the only thing we really want to know is who is going to be competing with her. :) There are a good group of girls going for her level, and I'm hoping they'll all make it!

Competitions for optionals start in January and I think they have until October to show their skills for the level they want to compete.

My DD did 6 last year and her coaches are pushing for her to do 8 (after one 7 meet) but based on bars she will most likely end up doing 7.

At DD's gym, I think June for (fall) compulsories? Oct 1, officially, for optionals. Though I suspect level decisions are already pretty solid, based on what is currently (not) happening at practice.

They move to their potential training groups for summer, then competition levels get decided in late aug-early sept depending on how they are progressing. Our season starts in January.
I think this year they may be a little more conservative, last year we ended up with girls they thought would be ready NOT getting there and having to repeat.... So to avoid heartache later I think they may be a little tougher on the requirements to start with and perhaps bump them up if they get their skills well enough between sept-nov or so.

In the mail? They don't just tell the kids or the parents, or even email? How oddly formal! I don't think I have ever received a single thing from any gym in the mail.
At our former dance studio, all class and company level assignments were sent out in the mail sometimes during the summer. Nothing was ever communicated to the kids or parents, and placements were not up for negotiation.
At our gym, no official notification is given. They assume kids will move to the next level unless told otherwise, and for our last year it didn't matter much since both levels worked out together and had the same exact meet schedule/fees. This year it would be a big difference in schedule and meets so I hope at some point they tell us. We may just find out when they start posting our tuition, lol!

They wait pretty long and even move some kids mid-season. Last year, our first meet was mid-December and dd competed L5 at that meet. She moved to L7 & learned all new routines after Christmas for a meet in early January!

They do tend to have an idea of where kids will be, but for those that are really trying to move up (would have been dd's 3rd year at L5! She was old L6, new L5 and started season in new L5 again), they do what they can to move you.

She is actually looking solid for L8 this year! I thought for sure she'd be repeating L7, but from what she says, she's got all her L8 skills except landing her tsuk on the mat. They are still flipping into the pit at this point.

I learned that if you want them to rush the level decision, you are less likely to move up. So if your kid is on the bubble, don't push for them to make the call because (if it is like our gym), they will make the conservative call.

...For optionals, when they start entering meets.

I would think this is true almost everywhere - for the big meets, coaches have to submit entries early and they need to put a level, so even if they aren't communicating what level a girl is competing, they know!!!

We don't compete until January but my coach has pretty much decided what xcel levels everyone will compete. A few girls may end up competing gold instead of silver but most of us will compete silver. She did have us all register as bronze when we registered with USAG though, apparently you can't move back a level after you've registered as a higher one? Can someone let me know if that's true? My coach was kind of confused about that, it's my gyms first year of xcel in a long time.
The coach can change your xcel division as long as it is appropriate for your former JO level. You can't move down without going thru "hoops" after competing at an Xcel division or if it doesn't correspond with where you are coming from.

For compulsory- 1st week of May (meets start in Nov)
For new Optionals (6 or 7)- Oct/Nov. (Meets in Dec)
Current L7+ I think is fluid.

The new fall schedule was passed out last week and a few girls changed their practice groups to match where they will be competing. This has been the earliest they released the schedule!

Compulsory groups are set by June from what I can tell, as testing starts December following season and can occur all the way through May, depending on how long it takes kids to get their next level skills. Move ups can occur any time between December and May, with the summer being spent learning the routines for competition starting end of August. In fact, the compulsory kids just had their intersquad last weekend.

We are deciding competition levels for our kids right now, some know already, some are still up in the air. Individual parent meetings to discuss levels, class placements, etc. will start happening at the beginning of September. First meet for Optionals is November (early in the year- mock meet as it is our first year with JO and the first real meet is a qualifying meet to make a team) and for Compulsories the first meet with be mid January.

For us the season is all over the board. Some girls have a score out meet in sSept, others have a score out meet in Nov. The rest have their first meet in Dec, then a break til Jan when we are in full swing. SO.....the ones who will be scoring out know their levels, the others are still a bit on the fence. I would say an out 50 percent of them have been told, but they r the ones who have all the skills. The ones who dont will probably find out in a few weeks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back