WAG When do I start thinking about a full time gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is level 6 she is 10 been doing gymnastics for a year and two months. She loves it but we do only 24 hours a week. Is a full time gym better than part time? Thanks

My daughter is a level 7, 11 years old, and does 19.5 hours a week, and an hour of that is ballet. I think our level 9 and 10s might do 24 hours, but not even sure about that. I think they are scheduled to do 19.5, but can come early to do conditioning, so they have more time for skills.

Our gym maxes out at 21 hours a week for our level 10's. Our optionals are very "successful" with several girls currently at D1 schools, on scholarship. Gym owners don't think gym should be "everything" even for the most promising gymnasts. But, that being said, after many successful years training elites, our owners decided to move away from that so our higher level girls typically aren't looking to go the elite route.

DD hopes to be an "elite" gymnast. She is 9, about a USAG level 8, and does 25 hours a week. That is the max at our gym. I couldn't imagine her doing more in the next few years. And definitely there are no L6's doing those kinds of hours.... They would do 16 at our gym.

I've never heard of 'full time' gym.... 25 in addition to all of life's other requirements is hard enough to fit in.

Yes 24 in a week. I heard of gyms doing 8 hours a day and home schooling there at the gym. I don't want her to fall further behind. But, I guess she does more than a lot. Thank you

I get that she's 10 and started 14 months ago, and if she experienced her first moments of bars, beam, and vault that recently you are reasonably concerned that she may be gifted with many gymnastics attributes. That's not saying a 40 hour week is the solution, just that she may need a bit more down the road. Ten is only too old if she gives up at age 16 after not qualifying as an elite and making it to the first level of national competition.

If she's going to be held back by a 24 hr gym week you'll know it when she scores out of L6, L7, and L8 in a single year. For most kids a 24 hr week represents an all you can eat gymnastics buffet, while for a small percentage of others it's a modest meal. At the other end of the spectrum there are plenty of L6 and L7 kids who'd choke on the first bite past a 16 hr week, maybe even less.

24hr is plenty if not too much for level 6. I'd be concerned about burning her out before she could reach her gymnastics potential. All optionals at my gym train 21.5 hr a week with optional other times we can schedule with coaches fpr extra work. And if I do say so myself we've been rather successful at meets even though our gym's still developing.

Hard work during the time allotted for practice is what's really important. Someone who puts in 100% effort and takes extra turns and only trains 16 hr a week is going to do further than someone that puts in only maybe 70% effort but trains 25 hr a week.

Unless your gym has an elite track, I don't see them offering FT hours. Some gyms offer a homeschool program.

Do you like your gym? A good gym with good coaching and regular school is going to always be better than a homeschool gym with bad or not so good coaching.

She's level 6. Your gym have got her there in a very short space of time, so they, and she, are obviously doing something good :). If you are happy, be led by them as to if and when she needs more hours. In a couple of years, if it really looks like she has what it takes, re-think then :)

24 hours at 10 is plenty, even for a future elite. If she has that in her, she'll keep up fine.

If you are not having success (with skills or scores) on 24 hours a week at level 6 you are simply 'not that amazing' and probably shouldn't continue to subsidize the training of those who are.

^^Lovely^^

I was just going to answer" don't feed the troll" when I first read the post by hannasmom02.Then I saw everyone being polite courteous and diplomatic so I kept quiet.

Thank you guys. I'm new to the sport and hearing all these moms at meets brag at how great their gym is with all these extra hours and home school programs starting me thinking. DD loves gymnastics so much and really wants to be an Elite someday so, I was just wanting feed back with experienced moms. Thank you I think in our hearts we will stay with our gym bc that's what makes her happy and she's doing well there. ;)

Elite, elite, elite, elite, elite! Take that ! :) So does that make me a CGM now? LOL If there is a girl in this sport under the age of 12 who doesn't dream of being in the Olympics one day, she is in the minority! All of us parents want our kids to have every opportunity to be the best they can be.

Hannasmom, don't sweat it. There will probably always be some gym offering more hours, earning better scores, or making more promises. This is a great place to learn what is actually reasonable and "normal". Your dd is training plenty of hours for her age and level, and it sounds like your gym is trying to help her progress quickly since she started a little later than average. If she is happy and can't wait to go to the gym everyday...count your blessings and listen to your gut. If you do some searches on this forum, there are lots of posts about "normal" training hours per level. There is a big range, but your dd is on the very high end! I agree with others, don't let her burn out before she even knows how far she can go.

Good luck!

24 hours at level 6 is MUCH more than any gyms around us train. Even most level 10 train less hours. Unless she is going Elite I think that is to much on the little body.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back