Parents When do they usually start learning their routines?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

IreneKa

Proud Parent
So, I saw a lot of parents here saying their kids have started working on the new floor routines. Not us. We had a short break the first week of July, then the second week of July summer schedule started. We come in, our regular coach isn't there, the owner tells me our coach went to learn the new routines, another coach will be substituting today. I'm thinking, finally, when she comes back they'll start learning their routine. Two weeks later, our coach is still not back, and I hear the rumors that she left. The other coach is still coaching our group. I asked her yesterday if our coach is coming back, she said she didn't know. I asked, isn't it time they start learning their routines? She said no, even if their coach was here, she wouldn't be teaching them the routines yet. They are still learning all the elements separately. They want to make sure all the element are performed correctly, before they put them together, otherwise they will learn incorrectly, and it will be harder to correct them. Beside, they don't know yet who is going to be at what level, depending on getting the skills, they will decide that at the end of summer. So, they won't start learning new routines until the end of summer, and their first meet is at the end of October. Is that normal? To me it doesn't seem like they'll have enough time. But this is our first year competing compulsories, so I'm not sure.

At DD's gym, the compulsories worked on skills until the end of June. Since being back from July 4th break, they've been working on learning routines for beam and floor (although floor has not been done to music yet). However, their 1st competition is next month (Judges' Cup). Can you ask any of the parents at your gym what they have done before? Every gym is different.

What level is she? Our new 3's and up are working routines to music. New 2's are still learning floor without music. They have all been working their beam routines. They started working them as soon as the head coach came back from the conference.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

My guess is it depends on what level your daughter is and when she begins competing. lhmom above says her daughter's first competition is next month so makes sense they need to learn routines now. However if your daughter doesn't start competing until Nov/December, then I don't think they start putting together the actual routine until the fall!

We're in Region 6 and while there are some meets in October, the lower levels really don't get in full swing till around December.

I do remember when my daughter was in compulsories, they didn't learn the routine to music until like October! I was always wondering if they could learn it that quickly but she was fine!

She's training Level 9 now and though will likely compete Level 8 with the same routine (maybe adjusted a bit) as last year. I don't think she's done the actual routine since States!!

It all works out in the end. Mostly they need to learn the skills to put it together.

I'd be more concerned about the coaching situation at the gym!

They are supposed to be new L3, but I guess some might stay at L2 if they don't get the skills by the end of summer.
I know the 5's started working on the routine back in June. Not sure about 4's.

I'd be more concerned about the coaching situation at the gym!

That's what I'm concerned about too. I'm not sure if they are not learning the routines because they are not ready yet, or because they are not sure which coach is supposed to teach them. Seems like our coach has left, but they don't want to tell us? Afraid the kids will follow her? Maybe I'm reading too much CB. lol

My girls both know their routines; but they are supposed to start competing in 3 weeks, so they kind of need to know them. (I have doubts about them competing fall, 9 yo did doesn't have her fhc and 7 yo doesn't have her mill circle). D's doesn't starlet competing until I think November and he is still just working on skills, not learning the routines.

Our girls normally start their routines 6-8 weeks before a competition. Our first meets aren't until late November, so they generally wouldn't finalize levels for the gymnasts until the end of September or so.

If other groups (L4 and L5) in your gym are learning routines, they probably do know them. I think they are all very similar.

Most years, our compulsories don't start really learning/drilling routines until September (first meet end of Oct.), but with the new routines to learn, they started in June. Again, I think they are all a bit similar, so once she's learned L3, I feel like learning 4 or 5 another year will be a LOT easier.

Thanks, I'm feeling a little bit better now. Their first meet is at the end of October, but that's just an "in-house" meet. The first "real" meet is some time in November. So, I guess they still have time.

Our gym is similar to yours, IreneKa. They typically work skills until the end of summer, then decide which level the girls will compete. Then routine work begins in September. First meet is early November.

However, this summer, they are starting to do a little routine work earlier - probably because the routines are new to the coaches as well as the girls.

Our gym is working routines. First meet is in mid September.
I know everyone's gym is different, and L3 is somewhat introductory,
BUT....I would be very upset if I am paying for a program and have no clear picture of what the goal is, and the steps to get there.....'I dont know', is not a good answer. If they ask you to pay and your reply is 'i dont' know', how will that go down??? Not so well...
All programs are different, but there should be a clear path that is defined for everyone.
As is usually the case in our gym, when things become cloudy and the parents begin getting anxious about what is going on, It usually takes a quick conversation with the head coach, or director to clear everything up.
Dont be afriad to ask, you have the right to find out what program you are paying for, and what your child is learning.

PS If the gym is transitioning coaches, then they should also give you a reasonable answer and time for getting a new one.

That girl I talked to is just a coach. I doubt she doesn't know, but she probably feels like she is not in the position to answer that question. I was originally planning to talk to the owner, but since she wasn't there, I decided to ask the coach. Will talk to the owner next week. I did like our old coach very much, but if they assign another one, that's fine with me, I just don't want the girls to fall behind because of this transition.

I think an overemphasis on learning the routines is more dangerous if you look at long term growth. Skills are the key. I've seen girls learn the basics of a routine very quickly and there's a whole season to perfect it. As long as the coaching situation is in order, I wouldn't worry at all about the timing of the routines.

My daughter's level 4 team is learning sections of the routine - they don't move on until they can really do each section cleanly. They do routine sections about 2 floor rotations a week and then work skills (current and next level) the other two rotations. They do routine parts in their beam complex time every day and then two rotations a week work routine sections and the other two they work skills. First meet is in December.

Our first meet is the end of August and the girls started learning their routines at the end of June, and they started putting them to music this last week. So if your first meet isn't until late Oct./Nov., I think they are fine as far as timing is concerned. However, the way they aren't telling you what is going on with the coaching situation would really bother me! Any time there is a coaching change in the team program at our gym, whether a coach is coming or leaving, even if it isn't for such a great reason, an email is sent out explaining that they are leaving or introducing the new coach.

Our compulsories will start learning their routines in Sept and the optionals, those needed new routines at least, are starting now. Our season doesn't start until Dec. so we have plenty of time to get it all looking good.

My DD (Level 2) season starts next month with a Judges Cup. She was just asked to join team before the break in July. She knows her bar routine (just need to add mil circle) and vault. Knows half of the beam and floor-just heard the music yesterday-oh boy it is interesting. I would talk to an owner about what the plan is for coaching and learning routines. Communication is the key. I hope that they have some answers for you.

Thanks, guys! I'll talk to the owner on Monday. Just don't want to sound too much like a CGM. :) As long as this doesn't affect their training, it doesn't really matter who is coaching them. They are still working hard, learning the skills. My only concern, besides in general not knowing what's going on, was that they are not learning the routine. You put my mind at ease, so I'm feeling better now.

Talked to the owner yesterday. I don't know what's going on there, but she also doesn't know if our coach is coming back or not, she might come back in September, but she might not.:confused: If she doesn't come back, then probably the same coach that trains them now will continue training them in the fall, but she is not sure about her schedule yet, so there are a couple more coaches who might take on their group. Anyway, I'm not really worried about the coaching situation, I trust the owner to find a suitable replacement.
Right now I'm more worried about DD's skills. The owner feels like DD might be a little behind on her skills for L3, that she would benefit from some extra practices, maybe some privates or something. She doesn't really want her to do L2 because of her age (9 in December), but she might not be ready in time to compete L3.
I know that she is somewhat behind. We switched from Xcel bronze team at another gym to this gym's JO team. Some skills she's been working on all of the last year, and she is good at them, but other skills are new to her, while other girls have been gradually working on them all of the last season.
For example bars, their bronze routines consisted of pullover and back heap circle, and those she can do perfectly well. But she can't do front circle or mill circle, because they never practiced them at the old gym. The rest of their group here competed the old level 3 last season, and mill circle was part of their routine, so most of them can do it. Similar problems with the beam, which was never her strongest even, but now she also has to catch up on her skills. She is okay on the floor, was one of the first one in their group to get her robhs, and vault is the same as she had last year.
Anyway, the point of all this rambling is that we are still not sure if DD will be ready to compete L3. I don't think we can afford privates right now. So, what are our options? Continue practicing for L3 and not compete until later in the season? Compete L2 for now until she is ready, and then switch to L3? Just go with L2 this season and see what happens, maybe she'll be able to skip L3 and go straight to L4 next year? I know she will be very disappointed if all the other girls compete L3, while she is stuck at L2. :(
I know there is still time, and we don't have to decide anything right now, but I'm just worried, as usual. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back