WAG Why do gyms do it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, I was looking through MyMeetScores (started with a specific name search... then her former gym) and I saw a girl who competed L4 and L6 in the SAME meet... and competed the L6 session first (I only noticed because she is in the Nation's Top 100 for both Levels) All her previous meets had been L4... unless she scored out of L5 in a non-posted meet and then went back to L4.
So then, I looked at the meet itself (CGA Coaches Spectacular). I noticed another girl that competed L8 and then L5 in the meet! And another girl competed in L4 and THEN L2... and she had already competed another meet at L4 to a 36+??? And a L7 & L4 who had long ago scored out of L5???
I can understand doing like L3 & L4 or L4 & L5 or L5 & L7, etc... but to compete DOWN levels in the same meet when you have already had experience in the higher level or to compete UP without evidence of scoring out (and if they did score out already, see the comment on competing DOWN).
It drives me crazy.

I just looked and see the same child getting 1st AA in level 4 and also 3rd AA in level 7! Why would a gym do this? Obviously this girl is more than sufficient for level 7. It is vastly unfair to those in the level 4 session. Why waste the time and money to compete way down? There has to be monitoring...

Ummm... remember it's mymeetscores, the site with various flaws. I just put all the entrants in alphabetical order and can see the that many gymnasts from multiple clubs have done two session, some at the same level in two different age divisions, one girl apparently did session 6A and 6B. I only got into the C's.

One gymnasts from the host gym happened to compete in level 4 and 7, however she was pretty clever in her level four competition as she managed to get the same session number, scores and placements as the previous year ;)

I am sure there are some less that honest people out there, but I would be checking the original results before getting too upset.

Looks like something glitchy with mms. I did a sort on name and so many show up more than once and the age groups don't align. Many have two different age groups which would make sense if they were at this meet last year. I wonder if last years results somehow got replaced with this years date?

Yea, it's probably a glitch. However, I have taken kids to a meet and scored out of a level and then competed next level in the same meet on a few occasions. But never the reverse.

I know that the CGA Coaches Spectacular results listed as 2015 on MyMeetScores.com are actually the 2014 results. I'm sure there are other similar issues on the site.

As far as competing a child down a level, I've heard of it happening at big invitationals where levels can not be changed. Entries for these types of meets are usually due early on in the season, perhaps before levels have been finalized, and it's safer to compete the level where the coach knows they already have the requirements. I can't imagine any gym making a consistent habit of it though...

To win the cash prize. We see it. Certain gyms routinely compete girls down a level to win the money. Frequently they compete the higher level first in the meet and then the next day will compete down. I don't like it and feel like our girls really can't compete fairly against someone who already competed (and usually won) a level higher than them that weekend and are probably training several levels above what they are competing against my child.

To win the cash prize. We see it. Certain gyms routinely compete girls down a level to win the money. Frequently they compete the higher level first in the meet and then the next day will compete down. I don't like it and feel like our girls really can't compete fairly against someone who already competed (and usually won) a level higher than them that weekend and are probably training several levels above what they are competing against my child.

Really??? You'd think that if they are offering prizes for lower levels, the meet would have rules about not competing kids in multiple sessions. If I were the meet director, I'd disqualify them from the prize.

If I were the parent I would object. That is an extra $75-$100 in meet fees to make my kid compete a meet that is too easy for them. Plus travel expenses. A waste of my time and money. But they do it and meets let them.

I know that the CGA Coaches Spectacular results listed as 2015 on MyMeetScores.com are actually the 2014 results. I'm sure there are other similar issues on the site.

Yeah, in the 2015 results, I picked out a couple of girls who showed twice, and then clicked on them specifically. The scores from 2014 are doubled up again as 2015.

But yes, I'm sure some gyms do actually do it...

The meet you are looking at did live scoring through MeetScoresOnline (which is where MyMeetScores pulls a lot of their info). There was definitely an issue with MeetScoresOnline where some of the session results are from this year and some are from last year - thus the crazy number of girls that showed up as competing two different levels in one meet. Several girls from my daughter's gym were listed as competing at the meet and they were not even at the Coaches Spectacular this year. Not to say that competing two levels in one meet doesn't happen sometimes, it just isn't nearly as widespread and over the top as the online results from this meet make it seem:)

I know that the CGA Coaches Spectacular results listed as 2015 on MyMeetScores.com are actually the 2014 results. I'm sure there are other similar issues on the site...

Yea, I noticed that they had one of our girls from last year on there as our gym (she changed gyms) and we didn't even go this year!

If I were the parent I would object. That is an extra $75-$100 in meet fees to make my kid compete a meet that is too easy for them. Plus travel expenses. A waste of my time and money. But they do it and meets let them.

You personally know this happened? Or did you hear it happened? I've never heard of this happening. I'm suprised the first thought the OP had was someone was cheating. When I read the beginning of her post I thought," MMS has it screwed up"

I have seen it at a meet on the boys' side -- a guy competing both L5 and L8. The gym that did it is notorious for wanting to bring home first place team banners. And the guy in question was a very, very, very good L5, as you can imagine.

With that many girls competing 2 sessions there is probably a mix up on the site. BUT, yes it does happen. We've seen it. As bookworm said they put in a ringer to ensure that their gym wins the overall 'super team' award for highest team score and get the cash prize. Not saying it's ethical, but this early in the season they can play with girls' levels since the Drop Back date isn't until Feb. Until the Drop Back date (the date that a level must be declared) gyms have the right to bump between levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back