Parents Why does your child do gymnastics? (ask him/her!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Son (age 8)
"Because I get to do things other people can't."
"Because it fits with me."
Me: Why does it fit with you?
"I don't know. I just know it fits with me."

Daughter (age 9)
"Because it helps me - I'm always moving!"
"Because it's in my head all the time. I just have to do gymnastics. I can't NOT do gymnastics."

I just asked my 11 year old. She said word for word...

Because I love it and it is my passion. it is like everything, it is like who I am. If I didn't have it, I don't know what I would do with myself.

And then she adamantly denied the tear in her eye.

Ah, boo boo.

DD 12, training L8 - 'Because I like it. Because it's fun'. She will also admit that she likes the conditioning part because she's good at it (excels at timed running, circuit training without cheating, etc.) and coaches appreciate those who don't complain about conditioning!

DD 12, training L8 - 'Because I like it. Because it's fun'. She will also admit that she likes the conditioning part because she's good at it (excels at timed running, circuit training without cheating, etc.) and coaches appreciate those who don't complain about conditioning!

Edited to add: I know DD's response was simple. But here's what I see: her bulletin board covered with pictures of Simone Biles, her teammates, her coaches' recent eval of her, and a poster of a gymnast that says 'Dream. Believe. Achieve'. In her class speech contest last year, she wrote a poem about 'Never Giving Up' filled with gymnastics references and tie-ing it to life in general. This year's speech contest? She chose a poem entitled 'The Comfort Zone"...which is all about the importance of taking the risk to venture out of it. When I asked her why she chose that, she said 'because in my gym evaluation on vault, Coach said I could benefit by pushing out of my comfort zone...but I think it applies to vault, and to life, right?'. Yet another invaluable life lesson learned in the gym...

DD- 12yo training L9. "Because it makes me stronger and cooler than all the boys in the neighborhood..." Then she laughed and said, "Because it's fun and I love flying through the air" Then she said, "wanna know what I DON'T like about gymnastics?? BEAM!!"

DS-14yo training L8. "Because I love a challenge. It's fun. And it makes you strong!!" ...and he asked me "Why...." in that suspicious teenagery voice, too! Lol

"Because I just like it. Because I like everything I like. Why are you asking?"

DD, 6.
Lmao! Are you sure you didn't ask my child this question?

I ask her constantly if she likes it, and she continuously responds with "yes! Why do you keep asking me that?"

If she was a grown up, I would respond with "well, because it's an enormous time and financial commitment for the entire family, and I don't want to be that parent that pushes their kid to do something that isn't making them happy....if I pay for gymnastics until you're in college, I'll have no money left for the therapy you'll need for having an overbearing parent...:so I just need to know now, before everything snowballs"

Instead, I say "because you're just a kid, and I want to make sure that we are doing something that makes you happy, that's all.....oh, and I will ask again next week"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back