Parents Would you make your dd do make ups?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RileyG

Proud Parent
My dd is on a Xcel Gold team. They practice 3 times per week but with holidays and all the snowstorms we have had she has quite a few makeups on the books. Probably about 7-8.
The only option for make ups is the two nights of the week we are not there. The JO levels are there. My dd did JO lev 4 last year, so she knows all the girls and the coach is the same one she had last year.

But she loves her xcel gold team and coach, she is having so much more fun this year and has gained many new skills. All her teammates are girls that competed level 5 last year except for one other girl that did Lev 4 with my dd.

So anyway, she doesnt want to do any makeups on the other nights because she doesnt want to work out with the other group. She says she likes her xcel teammates and just doesnt want to go the other nights.

Part of me says ok fine.......not the end of the world.........but then the other part of me says....hey 8 practices is almost 3 weeks worth of gym which we know is pricey!!

So wwyd? Would you insist she do at least a couple makeups? Or just let it go?
just curious whatbothers would do :)

Tough one. I would delve deeper into why she doesn't at least want the opportunity to see her old teammates.

I'd let it go, unless she needed to "catch up" from missing all those practices. She may feel uncomfortable being with her old JO group, which isn't going to be a productive practice anyway.

Tough one. I would delve deeper into why she doesn't at least want the opportunity to see her old teammates.
She sees her old teammates one practice a week they are all together JO and Xcel. And two of her other previous level 4 teammates are xcel silver.

At DD's gym, they don't allow make-ups unless the gymnast misses during meet season. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

She sees her old teammates one practice a week they are all together JO and Xcel. And two of her other previous level 4 teammates are xcel silver.

Then I would say, just let it go unless she is struggling with something. Maybe she just doesn't want to be burned out with additional practices.

Yeah, our team girls don't do makeups (or have the opportunity), so if she doesn't want to go, I wouldn't make her.

I have no problem not making missed classes up. She doesn't want to do them so really making her go would be really a waste of time as she probably wouldn't put her best foot forward.

Its not a battle worth having. Its just gymnastics and she will continue to progress without them just fine.

If a meet is coming up I'd want her to make up some of them (and her coach would too). Thing is, the team sessions are usually pretty full so it's hard to make up on other days - I'd have to get the coach to agree to take her on another day. If coach didn't insist, I'd likely let it go, unless as I said she had a meet coming up very soon and she needed the practice.

We don't do make ups per se but if a gymnast is going to miss, it is acceptable to train with another team, either one up or one down. We aren't required to but it's common for a parent to ask. Now as far as "making", I don't know about that. The week of a meet, yes, I'd probably make DD make up even if she didn't want to (can't imagine that scenario though). If it was during a stretch between meets and definitely out of meet season, then no. Not a battle I would fight.

You can lead a horse to water.............

About all you can do is lead your daughter by telling her to figure out what she's getting out of her excel experience that pleases her. If she enjoys learning new skills, competing in a comfort zone where she "fits in", or just has fun being a part of a group doing gymnastics, she could begin to realize the value of making up practice time.

Learning new skills is a process that includes working on the specific skill that rewards kids who've spent more time in the gym working on any aspect of gymnastics movement. The time spent working basic helps...... strengthen her muscles, increase her flexibility, and increases her ability to move correctly and efficiently.

Competing in a comfort zone happens as a result of learning new skills and polishing those already learned. That is accomplished more easily with more time in the gym in the same context of the above paragraph.

Being a part of the group is going to mean keeping up with her peers and "pitching in" to the team effort. Her group is made up of kids that have varying levels of "natural ability", physical gifts, and work ethic. Some of those girls will move up to the next level, some may drop out, and a few will likely continue with very little growth. In a nuanced sense, even amid friends, a child who's progress trails behind the majority of her peers will feel increasingly marginalized for lack of progress, and find it harder to share in her team mates joy in their own accomplishments.

While I agree with the other posts about not "making her go", she should be presented with information to base her decision upon, and asked to present you with her feelings about the questions the information presents to her. Once that process is complete, she may feel the value of making up missed gym time........ or maybe not.

The decision should be hers to make because she needs to want to be there for the time to do anything for her, and sending her despite her reluctance may put her in a position to develop "an attitude." :( :mad: :p :eek:

Man do I love those "peel and stick" emoticons.

You can lead a horse to water.............

About all you can do is lead your daughter by telling her to figure out what she's getting out of her excel experience that pleases her. If she enjoys learning new skills, competing in a comfort zone where she "fits in", or just has fun being a part of a group doing gymnastics, she could begin to realize the value of making up practice time.

Learning new skills is a process that includes working on the specific skill that rewards kids who've spent more time in the gym working on any aspect of gymnastics movement. The time spent working basic helps...... strengthen her muscles, increase her flexibility, and increases her ability to move correctly and efficiently.

Competing in a comfort zone happens as a result of learning new skills and polishing those already learned. That is accomplished more easily with more time in the gym in the same context of the above paragraph.

Being a part of the group is going to mean keeping up with her peers and "pitching in" to the team effort. Her group is made up of kids that have varying levels of "natural ability", physical gifts, and work ethic. Some of those girls will move up to the next level, some may drop out, and a few will likely continue with very little growth. In a nuanced sense, even amid friends, a child who's progress trails behind the majority of her peers will feel increasingly marginalized for lack of progress, and find it harder to share in her team mates joy in their own accomplishments.

While I agree with the other posts about not "making her go", she should be presented with information to base her decision upon, and asked to present you with her feelings about the questions the information presents to her. Once that process is complete, she may feel the value of making up missed gym time........ or maybe not.

The decision should be hers to make because she needs to want to be there for the time to do anything for her, and sending her despite her reluctance may put her in a position to develop "an attitude." :( :mad: :p :eek:

Man do I love those "peel and stick" emoticons.

She is actually doing pretty well in Xcel Gold and is probably going to move up to Platinum over the summer.
I like hearing other viewpoints because sometimes I can feel my inner competitive gym mom rearing her head! We have a couple weeks til another meet, so she will probably do some makeups before that. As for the rest I will just have to count it as a loss.LOL

I agree you might want to see if there's a deeper reason for not wanting to go. My daughter is the type who would be begging to miss no classes AND go to more classes, so is she is the sport for the sport or for her coaches and friends? If for the latter, then no big deal and it makes sense she doesn't want to do the make ups, but if the former, then maybe something is going on and that's why she doesn't want to go.

If she struggling to learn a skill currently, and needs those practices, talk to the coaches and see if they think she NEEDS to take those make ups or if they think she'll catch up without them.

In the end, though, I think she needs to be in charge of her own success as much as possible, which means she needs to chose to do make ups (or not). If she goes when she doesn't want to, she might not get much out of those classes anyway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back