WAG Wrist Trouble! Ugh!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey y'all! First real thread, woo!

Anywho, when I was 11, I had a pretty bad injury where I ended up with 5 stress fractures in my right wrist and 7 in my left. I had a rough time coming back from that, but I did it and continued doing gym for 3-4 more years until I got fed up with the pain and not being able to do certain skills because of it (backhandsprings on beam especially).

Now, I'm a freshman in college, and when I found out my school had a club gymnastics team, I knew I had to join. For the past few months, I've been having the time of my life getting back into the sport. I'm getting my skills back pretty quickly, and I love my team! My wrists have kind of been bugging me on back tumbling and bars, but nothing intolerable. But, today on beam, I was doing backwalkovers and roundoffs, and out of the blue my right wrist started killing me. I took the rest of the day off for ice and conditioning.

What are some exercises I could do to strengthen my wrists? I'm really loving being back in the gym, so I really don't want to quit. Any ideas?

The best advice really is to see a sports therapist to evaluate your wrist issues and to prescribe exercises to rehab your wrists.

We are not doctors and not knowing you people really shouldn't be giving you advice on anything more than basic stuff.

Does your school have a medical school? If they do, you may well be able to get treated for free since you're a student. Most schools likely have an infirmary or clinic, so if you need a referral, you'll likely need to go there first. Might also look into whether your school has a physical therapy program.

Any of those will get you professional answers, possibly for very little money. If not, you're still eligible to be on your parents' insurance, so don't let lack of help at your school stop you from seeing someone.

I think I'm gonna head over to the student health center after class and see what they say. I'm hoping they're only sore because I've been pounding on them in the last few months more than I have in the last four years!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back