WAG WWYD DD competing alone

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We were just informed that My DD is the only Level 3 that is ready to be moved up to 4. The coaches all voted that she is ready but that means she may be competing alone next fall. It is still subject to change but I am not sure what to do as that will not be fun for her. Do I make her repeat 3 so she at least have a team and the coaches feel she will be bored, do I leave her to possibly compete alone do I make her do a level of xcel until her teammates catch up? She does not have the skills to compete 5 and was very much looking forward to 4.

I would let her move up- are there really no other level 4s at all? She would still practice with a different group, right?

Move Up !!!! The goal is to get thru compulsories with a solid foundation as quick as possible and on to optionals, not to stymie her by subjecting her to the god-awful boredom of repeating L3 again. Who knows - maybe she will get enough skills to move to L5 mid-season.

How will the training work? Who will she practice with? I'd be a little concerned just with the practicality of learning different routines from everyone else. But I wouldn't want to hold her back either. That's tough.

I'd let her move up. I understand the temptation to keep her with her teammates but it's never a sure thing that she will continue to be with them anyways...she may always progress quicker or another one may progress faster or someone may have to skip a season due to injury. You just never know. With that said, I will say this...competing alone is tough for some kids. My DD has had to do this at a few meets and I think she may consider quitting if she was told she'd have an entire season alone. If you find that your DD is like this then have her do at least a meet or two to get the mobility score for L5. It will at least keep your options open.

I wouldn't consider holding her back to stay with friends. One thing for sure is groups will change and change again. People quit, change gyms get injured. If you stay in long enough you may be the only one left standing. The coaches are right, she will get bored if she repeats unnecessarily. My DD has been competing and traveling alone now for 2 seasons . DD has adapted. She still has her friends at the gym, she's made friends with other girls from other gyms that we run into often and has expanded her circle wider than ever. It will depend on what her goals are ultimately....

Will she train with her team? How old is your daughter? We go to some meets or groups are splits up, where the division is by age or other ways, ie. States, so it's not uncommon for girls to end up competing alone. And like others said, staying back doesn't guarantee that a friend will progress at the same rate or continue to do gymnastics. Good luck!

My younger DD competed alone through most of level 5 (twice) up to 8, ages 7-11. She trained with other girls but at meets by herself, she made lots of new friends when put in squads with other teams. I would not hold back for lack of company.

She should move up to level 4 if that is what the coaches recommend. If your gym has 5s she will probably be placed with them at a lot of smaller meet sessions.

Reactions: sce
I completely understand why, as a parent, this would bother you. It's a big deal to face the gymnastic world alone, especially at a young age. But your child will only grow from the experience. And odds are good she will have someone with her at the meets, you just never know! A LOT can happen in summer, once kids brains are free from school...I've seen radical changes! Her moving up could really motivate others! :) It's not like she is training alone, afterall, and you can always plug it like she is getting a private at meets; how cool is that? There was one meet where the tiniest little one was by herself. She got the BIGGEST round of applause from the crowd, and they cheered her on in her floor routine...adorable. Good luck to her, and be proud for her-level 4 is the start of all starts so to speak, and a hefty accomplishment if they feel she is ready.

I agree with everyone else - have her move up. My DD had to compete alone for a whole season plus many meets in other seasons. It wasn't her favorite thing to do but she was fine and enjoyed the individual attention from the coach.

To me, the competing alone isn't so much the issue, although of course it is nice to have teammates to cheer on and feel like part of a team with. I would just be concerned about the training and, specifically, being taught the routines. Will she be training with the level 5's or 3's? Will a coach be able/willing to spend all the time she needs with just her to teach her the nuances of the level 4 routines? Will she be uptraining/learning mostly level 5 skills and then competing 4 or what? Assuming, they have good answers for that, I think it would be fine.

We have a somewhat similar situation currently at our gym where there aren't enough level 2 girls to make a level 3 team next year, due to some moving away and others leaving gymnastics. They decided to merge them with the current level 3 team and have them all train for level 4. It's causing some concern among the parents about what will happen if some aren't ready for 4 in the fall, but we'll see what will happen. The main thing is the gym said it just didn't make sense financially to have a training group of only 4 girls at a level. I know that the parents of the girls that have already competed 3 are concerned about how the coaches will be able to properly train those girls for 4 and at the same time, coach those only ready for level 3 on the skills and routines they need. So that is where my concern is coming from. :) I think that it's great that your dd is ready for 4 and I definitely wouldn't want to see her held back unnecessarily.

Competing alone is not that uncommon, especially as gymnasts reach the higher levels. The coach will be there with them, and most kids will end up making friends with kids from other gyms on their rotation.

I get it. If she's used to competing with a team it might feel like a bummer. Especially since she won't bring home any team trophies. But ultimately gymnastics is an individual sport. Girls come and go, move forward or not... It just doesn't make sense to hold her back to be with a group that will inevitably not stay together. Celebrate her achievement, clarify who she will be training with (level 3's? Level 5's?) and let her move on.

To me, the competing alone isn't so much the issue, although of course it is nice to have teammates to cheer on and feel like part of a team with. I would just be concerned about the training and, specifically, being taught the routines. Will she be training with the level 5's or 3's? Will a coach be able/willing to spend all the time she needs with just her to teach her the nuances of the level 4 routines? Will she be uptraining/learning mostly level 5 skills and then competing 4 or what? Assuming, they have good answers for that, I think it would be fine.

We have a somewhat similar situation currently at our gym where there aren't enough level 2 girls to make a level 3 team next year, due to some moving away and others leaving gymnastics. They decided to merge them with the current level 3 team and have them all train for level 4. It's causing some concern among the parents about what will happen if some aren't ready for 4 in the fall, but we'll see what will happen. The main thing is the gym said it just didn't make sense financially to have a training group of only 4 girls at a level. I know that the parents of the girls that have already competed 3 are concerned about how the coaches will be able to properly train those girls for 4 and at the same time, coach those only ready for level 3 on the skills and routines they need. So that is where my concern is coming from. :) I think that it's great that your dd is ready for 4 and I definitely wouldn't want to see her held back unnecessarily.

Maybe our gym is unique (and we are quite small, yet very competitive)... but most of our training groups are mixed. And our coaches have never had an issue with training the girls appropriately despite mixed levels. Level 6's recently have been training with level 4's. The 4's get uptraining exposure this way too. My DD -level 6 - gets to still train with her former teammates (those remaining 4's), but of course they continue to focus on her skills and her uptraining. Not for a second have I felt that her training has been impacted negatively by this. While she is working her giants, other girls are working their baby giants. Even at the same competitive level, not all the girls have the same exact skill level per se. Works at our gym.

To the OP - I understand your concern, but in this sport, teams are ever changing. Don't hold your DD back from progressing forward when the only reason seems to be her teammates lack of readiness. This is an individual sport, as much, if not more, than it is a team sport. By the time comp season rolls around, I am guessing she will not be alone. So much happens in the summer months. My DD is 4 years younger than her other Level 6 teammates...so this comp season was interesting for her given she was several times forced to compete a different time than her other teammates. Your DD would be fine if that ends up happening. Keep her moving along, if she's ready!!

Even if other kids moved up. There are times where team is split based on age. Its one of those things they need to deal with. Move her up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back