Parents Your Child's Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flgymmom

Proud Parent
How big is your child's gym ?

How many children on the team ? How many in your child's current level ?

Our gym is small, but we live in a small city (about 50,000). There is prob 20 girls on the team. In my DDs level I think there is 5 or 6 girls.

Last edited:
Ours is very very small and only been open for 1 year. There was a program in town before but the owners closed it down, causing major drama within the community. Our town is only 5,000 people. Our team consists of about 10 girls. L3, L5 and L6 are what we currently have. Our L3s will be moving up to new L4 (most of them) and there will be some incoming girls next season that will compete L3 or L2 I haven't heard how that's working yet.

Gym has at least 10 kids in each of Level 5-10, a couple of Hopes and PreElites and a couple on the TOPS national teams. The Level 5s this year were big, like 15 kids. Preteam has 3 levels with a max of 8 kids in each level. There is no level 4. Pretty good for a gym that is not quite 3 years old!!

It's not huge--just over 1,000 total (rec and team). 50-60 on team (level 5-10--I'm not sure how many level 4s, maybe 15-20??). There are 8 total level 10s, including my daughter. We don't have any pre-elite right now, but they've trained them in the past.

Our gym is physically small and the upper levels are so small that they have levels 5-10 practicing together. One of the girls left because she was the only level 10 and they didn't have the time to devote to her because they were busy teaching the level 5-7 girls, which made up most of the 5-10 group).

The lower levels are bigger. I think there are a total of 40 girls in my daughter's level and 20 of them which practice in her time slot. To be honest . . . a smaller group would be nice :)

We have about 30 compulsary girls (level 3-6)...pretty evenly divided up in each level (7-9 girls per level). We have about 12 optional girls...3-4 in each level 7-9...and 2 level 10's. So our JO program is mid-size, and it's more compulsary intense. However, there are 8 girls on DD's L6 team, so if most of them stick around and move up next year, we will be more evenly split between optional and compulsary ;).

We also have about 20 prep-op/xcel girls...about 5-6 of these are former JO girls who wanted lower hours/pressure, and/or last year L5s that didn't want to endure the harsh scoring of L6 but weren't ready for L7 this year. I wonder if some of these will come back to JO next year - well see...

Our gym is small and our town sounds about the same size. There are about 20 girls total on team. Both levels 3 and 4(we consider that team at our gym) each have 6-8 gymnasts and the higher levels(5-7) have less. Our gym's "team program" is fairly new and only goes through level 7. After that,(for now) you have to transfer out. Levels 3-7 all practice together.

The gym my girls have been in is quite small. There were 6 level 3s last season, 14 level 4s, and only one level 5. Nothing higher. We are leaving next month go to a slightly larger gym that at least has an optionals program (5 level 7s, 2 level 8s). It was way too tough for my 9 year old to be the only one at her level in the gym. It's also harder for the coaches to switch equipment around just for one girl. There are also only 2 team coaches and one assistant/junior coach.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

There's around 40 girls total on DD's team right now-25 compulsory girls and 15 optional girls. There will also be about 8 pre-team girls joining the team next month as the new level 3's.

back when my oldest gymmie started level 4 in 08/09, there were 7 Level 4s and 5 Level 5s and 2 Level 7 = 14 girls.
The next season, 13 Level 4s, 6 Level 5s, and 1 Level 7 = 20 girls.
In 10/11 we had 17 Level 4s, 13 Level 5s, and 4 Level 6s = 34 girls.
In 11/12 we had 22 Level 4s, 10 Level 5s, 10 Level 6s, and 2 Level 7s = 44 girls.

This season, we had 24 Level 4s, 11 Level 5s, 5 Level 6s, 4 Level 7s, and 3 Xcel Golds = 47 girls... all practicing the same 7.5 hours a week. Many of whom also do other activities. I have gymmies in Level 4 and Xcel Gold.

Of this season's girls, we are losing 2 to retirement and 1 is moving.
Next season, I am estimating that of the remaining girls, we will have 9-10 New Level 3s (plus any that move up from pre-team), 14 New Level 4s, 5 New Level 5s, 4 New Level 6s, 1 Level 7, 1 Level 8, 7 Xcel Golds, and 2 Xcel Platinums.

We have about 90 team girls, including the pre-team girls which right now has 16 (the group just keeps getting larger).

between boys and girls I think that we have about 125 kids from pre-team on up. My girls both competed AAU this year, one a level 2, one a level 3. (Next year we swap to all USAG, so they will be "new" 2 and 3.) My youngest DD has 13 on her team and I think there are like 18 on my older DD's team. My son just finished level 4 and there were 10 boys on his team. he is moving up to level 5 for next year, some of his current team will move up and some will repeat a year of level 4. Same is happening with the current level 5 team. I think his new team will likely have about 8 boys on it.

We have about 15 girls on our Bronze XCel team, then another 15 Silver through Platinum. The JO teams levels 4 though 10 are about 8-9 girls per each level. So, about 90 total, not including pre-team. No boys teams in our gym.

I have no idea about pre-team as I never see them practice. Rec is pretty big. We just started a boys team and they have about 8-10 boys. JO has about 60 girls with compulsories the largest, each level is anywhere from 12-16. We also have a very large PO team, probably about 35 girls.

Our team is fairly small about 40 girls total from L4-L10. DD L6 team had 5 girls, L5 6 and L4 had 6 had the L7 had 8, L8 had 4 L9 had 2 and L10 4 which is about a 1/3 of all the L10 in our state. The hours and days vary for each level with L4 and L5 only going two-three days a week and L6-L10 going 4 to 5 days a week. All practices are 4 hours.

DD's team is large compared to a lot of the others here (though it always feels small compared to other programs in the state). 32 optionals, plus a 100+ more between boys, pre-team through current L6, and Xcel programs. I can't even imagine how large the rec program is (I believe there's nearly a 1000 folks on the waiting list for rec classes).

Wow! Our gym has about 1000 rec. With 5 level 3s, and 3 level 4s. There are quite a few more on teamgym. And maybe 10 on preteam. However, at this gym, anyone who tries out makes a team.

Our gym has separate buildings for rec and team (1 mile apart). Rec gym has one side for little bitties and one side for level 1, 2, 3 (LOTS of kids). Team gym girls: level 3 advanced 30, level 4 noncompetitive 20, Level 4 USAG 20, level 5 USAG 20, Level 6 USAG 10, Level 7-10 USAG 8. Excel 2. Team Boys - Some level 3 classes. levels 4-10 about 25 total. All numbers approximate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back