WAG YouTube / Instagram stars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I remember when the Salcianus posted videos of Maile O'Keefe when she was nine or so. There was a ripple of people calling her a future Olympian and all that and I got so excited when I saw that she won p&gs 5 years later. That's the only time I can remember one of the youtube famous gymnasts getting on the national team. Ninety nine percent of the talented little ones on social media won't make it to elite, just like the general population of club gymnasts. I do have to wonder about the kids who have injuries or blocks. There's enough pressure in the gymnastics world not to disappoint parents/coaches/teammates without worrying about thousands of followers being sad if you decide to quit.

Konnor McLain. Gorgeous. She is the only other I can think of apart from Maile.

To be clear, I wasn’t saying anything about her either way...I don’t know enough to form an opinion. I was simply identifying her for the person that asked.

Does she definitely mean her. I don't see a lot of followers on her insta although she may have several and I might not be looking at the right one. I thought she might mean the Lucy one .

Does she definitely mean her. I don't see a lot of followers on her insta although she may have several and I might not be looking at the right one. I thought she might mean the Lucy one .

Hmmmm. I’m pretty sure that’s who she meant. Lucy does not live in Georgia.

She has 191 K followers on IG I believe.

Hmmmm. I’m pretty sure that’s who she meant. Lucy does not live in Georgia.
That is definitely who I meant. She literally has 200K followers. I would not want that for my 8 year old because some of what’s out there in this day and age is downright scary. I do know of Lucy too and found some of what they shared publicly to be not things I would want the whole world knowing. There have been a few really young ones over the past few years with similar types of accounts. The parents get so angry if anyone questions the public accounts. I do not recall maile o’keefe or konnor mcclain’s families setting up these types of Instagram accounts. I enjoyed watching them bc they were exceptional gymnasts. And you’re right, kids love to follow these kids’ journeys. Why can’t the accounts be private though? As an adult, I don’t think it’s a great idea to put the children through completely accessible public social media accounts for a number of reasons. If the aim is to be famous, aren’t there other ways? But social media is here to stay, so I need to adapt! Ha! This is just my opinion, and I’m old, so there is that!

She trains over 20 hours a week according to her Instagram. That is plenty of hours. I don’t think anyone would argue that she doesn’t have some talent. My point was just that I would expect a child of celebrity-like status and 200K followers to be in the running for national team status or some kind of one in a million phenom, and I’m not seeing that. But that is just me continuing to be naive about the power of social media. I have seen kids in real life (also talented) who are just as good but do not have public instagrams. Some of them don’t even do TOPS. So in regards to the original question, I don’t think self promotion on Instagram has any bearing whatsoever on someone’s future as a national team member, but the child might be more likely to become a brand model or do some TV acting.
I wrote a similar response above about there being a ton more amazing gymnast out there that do not have 200k followers. But, I will say that Isabelle is only 8 and has made tops 2 times now, so i don't see how you don't think she could be in the running for national team in 5 years! LOL... She is 8 and has so much time and seems to be on a healthy successful path.

That is definitely who I meant. She literally has 200K followers. I would not want that for my 8 year old because some of what’s out there in this day and age is downright scary. I do know of Lucy too and found some of what they shared publicly to be not things I would want the whole world knowing. There have been a few really young ones over the past few years with similar types of accounts. The parents get so angry if anyone questions the public accounts. I do not recall maile o’keefe or konnor mcclain’s families setting up these types of Instagram accounts. I enjoyed watching them bc they were exceptional gymnasts. And you’re right, kids love to follow these kids’ journeys. Why can’t the accounts be private though? As an adult, I don’t think it’s a great idea to put the children through completely accessible public social media accounts for a number of reasons. If the aim is to be famous, aren’t there other ways? But social media is here to stay, so I need to adapt! Ha! This is just my opinion, and I’m old, so there is that!
Why does it matter if a family wants to share their journey? Its their choice not yours or anyone else's. I don't think the aim is to be famous for most, its a fun way for kids to follow one another and maybe make some friends. My daughters account is public and i manage it very heavily. I have lots of different conversations with other parents and will be meeting a few this coming season!

Why does it matter if a family wants to share their journey? Its their choice not yours or anyone else's. I don't think the aim is to be famous for most, its a fun way for kids to follow one another and maybe make some friends. My daughters account is public and i manage it very heavily. I have lots of different conversations with other parents and will be meeting a few this coming season!
You don't have 200,000 close personal friends on social media.

And if your daughters account is public. You have no control of what happens to the content.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to my opinion. I see no good reason for a young child to have a public instagram account other than to be famous and get free products. There are many reasons why I do not think public instagram accounts are a good idea. It is truly frightening what is out there. Ironically, my opinion would probably get ME blocked from one of these instagymnast's account as a "hater" but not a bot or creepy pervert. If the aim is to be a fun way for kids to follow each other, that can easily be done through a private account. The original post was asking if there was any correlation between instagram or youTube fame and getting on the national team. I sort of went down a rabbit hole by commenting on the 8 year old. I mentioned the 8 year old because she is extremely popular, and I don't understand the big deal as I have seen quite a few same age children of the same or better skill level. Could she make it to level 10 or elite? I don't see how anyone could even tell at this point. And I will add that I was disappointed to hear that a couple of little phenoms my kids followed who were well on their way to elite quit probably because it is just so darned hard to balance all those hours at 8 years old. Most of the parents whose kids make it to level 10 have commented that it is a marathon, not a sprint. I would never know that looking at all of these instagram accounts. Looks like a track race to me. A couple of people have mentioned Maile O'Keefe and Konnor McClain. They were both one in a million (in my opinion), and neither had public instagrams with 200,000 followers at 8 years old.

I wrote a similar response above about there being a ton more amazing gymnast out there that do not have 200k followers. But, I will say that Isabelle is only 8 and has made tops 2 times now, so i don't see how you don't think she could be in the running for national team in 5 years! LOL... She is 8 and has so much time and seems to be on a healthy successful path.
How can you possibly tell that? Have you seen all of the other 8 year olds out there? There are a lot of them, and some of them are realllllly good. Simone Biles didn't make TOPS. Presses, leg lifts, and handstand holds do not necessarily equate with speed and power for high level elite skills.

How can you possibly tell that? Have you seen all of the other 8 year olds out there? There are a lot of them, and some of them are realllllly good. Simone Biles didn't make TOPS. Presses, leg lifts, and handstand holds do not necessarily equate with speed and power for high level elite skills.

I agree with this. Many of the "best" kids when my DD was an 8 year old level 7 are all done with the sport. So many of them scored so much higher than her in the compulsory levels (in the 38-39 range) and had they been out on social media I am sure they could have gotten the same responses that these kids get online. You just don't really ever know how it will all pan out- and to be frank I worry about these kids who want to leave the sport and feel they can't because of their social media presence. That puts a whole extra layer of pressure on the child- it is not just the pressure of the time, money, commitment that the family has invested, but also the expectations of the family and also the internet! I mean, they could be 25 interviewing for a job and get questions asked about their gymnastics social media claims at age 8,9, or 10.

Tell what? I am simply stating that she has talent and she has just as much of a chance to make it to the national team as any other young athlete out there. Except the fact that now she does have the eye of the USAG team coaches by having made the tops camps.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to my opinion. I see no good reason for a young child to have a public instagram account other than to be famous and get free products. There are many reasons why I do not think public instagram accounts are a good idea. It is truly frightening what is out there. Ironically, my opinion would probably get ME blocked from one of these instagymnast's account as a "hater" but not a bot or creepy pervert. If the aim is to be a fun way for kids to follow each other, that can easily be done through a private account. The original post was asking if there was any correlation between instagram or youTube fame and getting on the national team. I sort of went down a rabbit hole by commenting on the 8 year old. I mentioned the 8 year old because she is extremely popular, and I don't understand the big deal as I have seen quite a few same age children of the same or better skill level. Could she make it to level 10 or elite? I don't see how anyone could even tell at this point. And I will add that I was disappointed to hear that a couple of little phenoms my kids followed who were well on their way to elite quit probably because it is just so darned hard to balance all those hours at 8 years old. Most of the parents whose kids make it to level 10 have commented that it is a marathon, not a sprint. I would never know that looking at all of these instagram accounts. Looks like a track race to me. A couple of people have mentioned Maile O'Keefe and Konnor McClain. They were both one in a million (in my opinion), and neither had public instagrams with 200,000 followers at 8 years old.
Of course this forum is for us to state our opinions and we are entitled to voice what we think. I respect that. With that being said, you don't have to look at those accounts or follow them, you seem to know a lot about them to not be following their social media? There are truly frightening things out there on and off of social media. For us having a public account started when my daughter was picked to be an ambassador, and had to have it public. I watch it like a hawk and filter all messages. To be honest its very easy to delete comments, block unwanted followers etc. I also have it right up front that the account is parent monitored in bold. Yes, As far as Maile O'Keefe is 16 and the instagram / social media hype has probably started being really popular in the last 3-4 years. In fact Konnor McClain gained her notoriety when a youtube video went viral when she was 4!!!

Of course this forum is for us to state our opinions and we are entitled to voice what we think. I respect that. With that being said, you don't have to look at those accounts or follow them, you seem to know a lot about them to not be following their social media? There are truly frightening things out there on and off of social media. For us having a public account started when my daughter was picked to be an ambassador, and had to have it public. I watch it like a hawk and filter all messages. To be honest its very easy to delete comments, block unwanted followers etc. I also have it right up front that the account is parent monitored in bold. Yes, As far as Maile O'Keefe is 16 and the instagram / social media hype has probably started being really popular in the last 3-4 years. In fact Konnor McClain gained her notoriety when a youtube video went viral when she was 4!!!
I completely agree with this. All of Lily’s accounts are public and I’m totally ok with that. Does it weird me out to think that someone could do something creepy with her image? Sure does but someone could just as easily come to one of her meets and take pics or videos of her there. I’m definitely not a parent that feels the need to keep my children in a bubble. Bad stuff is everywhere and something bad could happen to any of us at anytime, I would much rather live each day to the fullest than to constantly worry about things that could happen. Heck, her odds of being injured are probably tripled just by being in this crazy sport!!!

I sure do know a lot about it— both due to my job and because I have two preteen daughters who are all over Instagram. The horse has left the barn, so it’s kind of hard to keep them off of it. I look at everything my girls are following, and a lot of it centers around their primary interest, gymnastics.

One of the many reasons I dislike these public accounts is because one of my daughters would LOVE to have a public Instagram account. We have had MANY conversations about why that is not happening for safety reasons. In addition, it’s hard enough to be a preteen and teen these days, so the last thing she needs is to base her self worth on the number of likes she gets from a bunch of strangers. That is just one small reason among many why I dislike this stuff.

Yes, yes, you are right, the social media has really ramped the last couple of years, but quite a few of these kiddie accounts are far more active than what I see from national team members currently. And yes, I would agree that the famous 8 year old has as good a chance as any out of all the little 8 year old level 6/7s in the country of making the national team in five years.

This is just like arguing politics on Facebook. I’m not going to persuade you to change my mind, and you aren’t going to change my mind.

I completely agree with this. All of Lily’s accounts are public and I’m totally ok with that. Does it weird me out to think that someone could do something creepy with her image? Sure does but someone could just as easily come to one of her meets and take pics or videos of her there. I’m definitely not a parent that feels the need to keep my children in a bubble. Bad stuff is everywhere and something bad could happen to any of us at anytime, I would much rather live each day to the fullest than to constantly worry about things that could happen. Heck, her odds of being injured are probably tripled just by being in this crazy sport!!!
Ok, well, you have several thousand followers compared to hundreds of thousands and are probably not actively purchasing followers for your child’s account and hawking every product under the sun from yogurt bars to mattresses. Your child is also 12? 13? And is junior elite? And I get that an increase in public exposure might come from having a child who is junior or senior elite and legitimately in the running for national team. While I personally would not be as comfortable being so public about my daughter and my identity, this is very different to me than the 7/8/9 year old accounts that I’m talking about with national team far, far off on the horizon.

Ok, well, you have several thousand followers compared to hundreds of thousands and are probably not actively purchasing followers for your child’s account and hawking every product under the sun from yogurt bars to mattresses. Your child is also 12? 13? And is junior elite? And I get that an increase in public exposure might come from having a child who is junior or senior elite and legitimately in the running for national team. While I personally would not be as comfortable being so public about my daughter and my identity, this is very different to me than the 7/8/9 year old accounts that I’m talking about with national team far, far off on the horizon.
Very true, I started her accounts when she was 11. And have never bought followers, didn’t even know that was an actual thing that people do!

I sure do know a lot about it— both due to my job and because I have two preteen daughters who are all over Instagram. The horse has left the barn, so it’s kind of hard to keep them off of it. I look at everything my girls are following, and a lot of it centers around their primary interest, gymnastics.

One of the many reasons I dislike these public accounts is because one of my daughters would LOVE to have a public Instagram account. We have had MANY conversations about why that is not happening for safety reasons. In addition, it’s hard enough to be a preteen and teen these days, so the last thing she needs is to base her self worth on the number of likes she gets from a bunch of strangers. That is just one small reason among many why I dislike this stuff.

Yes, yes, you are right, the social media has really ramped the last couple of years, but quite a few of these kiddie accounts are far more active than what I see from national team members currently. And yes, I would agree that the famous 8 year old has as good a chance as any out of all the little 8 year old level 6/7s in the country of making the national team in five years.

This is just like arguing politics on Facebook. I’m not going to persuade you to change my mind, and you aren’t going to change my mind.
My daughter is still pretty young and not quite a teen yet, but we also have conversations about internet/social media safety, stranger danger, never being alone, making sure she knows what to do in emergency situations etc. We are very protective parents as well. I can tell you that my daughter certainly doesn't measure her self worth based on social media likes or by gymnastics at all. So to each their own, but lets not pass judgement on those that choose to use social media differently than one thinks they should. In fact there are a bunch of moms who send werido alerts to make sure we delete them if they are following our daughters accounts.. we try to look out for each other and i think that is pretty darn cool!

I do love though that the public accounts are defended with the phrase “monitored by mom.” Can we please just acknowledge that that does little to nothing in terms of safety. No true predator is going to be deterred by that. They can still take the images to do with as they please whether the account is monitored or not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back