WAG Which way do we go?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The only way regular kids get to go to "The Ranch" is by going to the Karolyi's summer camp, that is open to everyone with the $$$ and does not get them seen by national team staff and is not anything to do with elite. It is just a summer camp, with camels.
:D:D:D

It's so hard to really gauge any kind of talent from a message board post. What you are describing sounds like talent, but going elite is a whole different breed from what I understand. As a point of reference, I have a 7 yr old who has some skills ranging between levels 4-6, is talented, but is competing level 2 because that's where she will score highest and they would like to clean up form minutiae. She will definitely not be going elite, but she has "talent." Our gym has no elite level type training and is not "high power." We will all be thrilled if DD makes it to optionals or possibly college, but even that takes A LOT of talent. It sounds like your DD has lots of potential, but I would just proceed cautiously and explore gym options.

I would be concerned that the gym is asking you to pay for privates, instead of moving her into a training group that has more hours and is working more difficult skills. I understand that they want to see how she competes, but even if she does freeze at her first meet (NOT uncommon) that doesn't mean that she needs to continue to train level 2 skills and level 2 hours. 8 is on the old side for level 2, so I see no reason why your DD couldn't train with a level 3/4 group, but still compete a few level 2 meets. The Level 2 routines are simple enough that she will do just fine.

On the other hand, your gym can be commended for giving her a chance. There are many gyms that would leave her to progress through the rec program with hardly a second glance. It sounds like the coach is wise in giving her specific exercises to do at home and banning skill practice.

It sounds like the questions that you are asking are all the right ones, and it seems that your DD is moving in the right direction. The details will sort themselves out. The gym world is overwhelming and confusing even for those who have been in it for while.

Yup. I think the gym may be kind of giving the run around because they top out at a lower level and want to keep her as long as possible. They really don't need to wait to see if she freezes, etc. if she has or is learning 3/4 skills and of at least average maturity, which it sounds like, then she can easily be placed there by this age.

So I guess it depends. If she's happy where she is it's fine to stay recognizing that it's not exactly what you described as wanting. There's no problem with a less competitive gym. You might eventually find that it is the best fit for your family. But it might be worth an evaluation of her skill level at another gym before paying for private coaching because her skills are above the class they want her to stay in.

As I have read these latest posts I am in tears. I think I am dealing with a lot of guilt on my part. I did not put her into gymnastics earlier than this because of abuse in my former marriage. (that is all I am comfortable saying on a public board). I have known and been told for a while that Catie has oodles of talent and that it is a shame for her not to be out there.

My guilt comes because I know where she would POSSIBLY be if I had not held her back due to circumstances that were not her fault at all. I brought her to gym and had an experience like the mom in the movie the Gabby douglas story...........I stood there with my mouth open while my child amazed the coaches, and me, and her step father and the other parents.......at least the ones that approached me after practice. I don't know how to describe it but instead of feeling proud I felt guilty. My child is not competing on a level where she can easily get to elite because I have held her back, not because she does not have the talent because she certainly does, obviously.

So what can I do about it? The only thing I know how to do is find her an alternate path and see how she does at it. I guess that is what I am grappling with, and the gym along with me. Are they trying to keep her as long as possible? Maybe, I mean if she has the stuff then that is only trophies in their case. I don't know where to go or turn so I came to this blog. I don't know if I will get what I need.........the information I need to find the resources my daughter needs to get on an alternative track to Elite. But it was worth a try.

I guess my question is if her skills are so far above level 2 , then why don't they move her to a different level, like 3 or 4 ...there's no mobility scores for levels 3 and 4 and she only needs :75% proficiency at Level 1-3 on Vault, Bars, Beam, Floor to go level 4 ...and if she's up levels, she probably won't "require" privates . That to me is a huge red flag ...that your gym is telling you she needs regular private lessons for a reason that seems to be pure hogwash for a gymnast of only two months, but it's your money to do with as you wish...but just know it is NOT NORMAL for a brand new (and under 2 months in the sport qualifies) gymnast to be put into a lower level and require privates as a matter of course....

I guess my question is if her skills are so far above level 2 , then why don't they move her to a different level, like 3 or 4 ...there's no mobility scores for levels 3 and 4 and she only needs :75% proficiency at Level 1-3 on Vault, Bars, Beam, Floor to go level 4 ...and if she's up levels, she probably won't "require" privates . That to me is a huge red flag ...that your gym is telling you she needs regular private lessons for a reason that seems to be pure hogwash for a gymnast of only two months, but it's your money to do with as you wish...but just know it is NOT NORMAL for a brand new (and under 2 months in the sport qualifies) gymnast to be put into a lower level and require privates as a matter of course....

OK so my question is...........as a mother with no gymnastics experience, do I have the right to ask this? And how do I do so? I mean I think I am a bit shy about questioning the coaches, who have experience where I do not.

Oh, ok I also just realized, and see on the paperwork that level 3 requires a "contract".........then there is another contract for "level 4 and up".................anyone know what that means? Could this by why they are keeping her at level 2 till after the first competition??

I think you should go for an evaluation at another gym. It is really impossible for anyone here to give sound advice on this. I think you would benefit greatly from having another person take an objective look at her.

That sounds like excellent advice. I am going to look for a gym with level 9-10 and maybe above gymnasts and ask for an evaluation. That might give me clearer vision. And is certainly preferrable to guessing.

just be prepared that there are many gyms who would consider her "too old" as a beginner, don't be disheartened and keep looking for a good fit.

As I have read these latest posts I am in tears. I think I am dealing with a lot of guilt on my part. I did not put her into gymnastics earlier than this because of abuse in my former marriage. (that is all I am comfortable saying on a public board). I have known and been told for a while that Catie has oodles of talent and that it is a shame for her not to be out there.

My guilt comes because I know where she would POSSIBLY be if I had not held her back due to circumstances that were not her fault at all. I brought her to gym and had an experience like the mom in the movie the Gabby douglas story...........I stood there with my mouth open while my child amazed the coaches, and me, and her step father and the other parents.......at least the ones that approached me after practice. I don't know how to describe it but instead of feeling proud I felt guilty. My child is not competing on a level where she can easily get to elite because I have held her back, not because she does not have the talent because she certainly does, obviously.

So what can I do about it? The only thing I know how to do is find her an alternate path and see how she does at it. I guess that is what I am grappling with, and the gym along with me. Are they trying to keep her as long as possible? Maybe, I mean if she has the stuff then that is only trophies in their case. I don't know where to go or turn so I came to this blog. I don't know if I will get what I need.........the information I need to find the resources my daughter needs to get on an alternative track to Elite. But it was worth a try.

Well, don't beat yourself up. I can definitely relate. My DD started gymnastics at 3, but we were in a small town, noncompetitive gym. She was the most advanced kid there, and by 9 had pretty much hit the ceiling of what she could do there. A friend had had a birthday party at a gym in the city by us, about 45 minutes away, and we got a postcard for a free class. I had them evaluate her and they invited her to try out for team that weekend. She made it right on, to old level 4 at age 9. So late! If only I had switched her earlier, she could be a level 8 or 9 by now! Instead she's 11.5 and doing a whole season of L5. :( She'll be lucky to make it to college gymnastics. But I guess we'll just have to let our girls take their own journeys and try to support them as best we can.

I think you have to try to let go of that guilt. There's still plenty of time for her to do very well in gymnastics. Elite isn't the only option. Level 10 and NCAA are also extremely rigorous and fulfilling (sometimes when you hear "nationally ranked" it is referring to level 10 or NCAA gymnasts who placed at level 10 or NCAA nationals. It is not the Olympic levels but because those levels have a national meet it is still considered nationally ranked).

She would definitely have a shot at this path, but it is still highly specialized training that gyms tend to either offer or not. In other words there aren't many coaches that can or want to coach this level. If the gym doesn't have any of these coaches, they can't offer this specialized level of training which is far beyond basic skills and also requires advanced spotting usually by male coaches.

So usually it is better to start in a gym that offers this level sooner because they will be more motivated to prepare the kids to that level rather than focus on winning the lower compulsory levels. Winning the lower compulsory levels is often done by having kids do multiple seasons at a level, whereas strong upper level programs usually want the kids to start training intermediate skills and drills sooner.

That sounds like excellent advice. I am going to look for a gym with level 9-10 and maybe above gymnasts and ask for an evaluation. That might give me clearer vision. And is certainly preferrable to guessing.

I think this is exactly what you have to do, especially before she reaches level 3 and you have to sign any contracts. Some of these contracts state things like if you leave the gym you need to provide x months of tuition "notice." So it would be easier to get and evaluation and/or switch now.

Now............to find a gym relatively near me with level 9-10 athletes............obviously not going to be as easy as it sounds.........because it is noone in town

Letting go of the whole elite and college thing can be good too.

Many of us started with girls with tons of talent who are no longer in the sport for so many reasons. Talent alone does not make an elite or college gymnast.

Just enjoy gymnastics, let it be about that and not about what could be, or what might have been.

Every sport does not need to lead to the Olympics, it can just be about having fun.

I just had a chat with a Canadian dad who's 11 year old lives in the US. He is selling his car so his kid can play hockey. Wow, you say. His kid must be that good. Well no, it is just that in the US kids sports are a huge deal, kids do not seem to just play sports there, it seems to be all about bigger, better, bolder. If your kid doesn't do sports this way they are left out, on the shelf. But lets not forget hardly any kids go to the olympics despite training elite level hours for years.

you will find many people on here who drive up to two hours each way to get to their children's gym - that's just part of the parental commitment required for high level gymnastics, and if you want to get really scare check out some of the fees threads................ (((shudder)))

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back