WAG Which way do we go?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes the USAG website (usagym.org) is very informative. You might also be interested in Gym Mom. It's a book written by Rita Wieber (mother of 2012 Olympian Jordyn Wieber).

Thank you I am on the website now trying to make sense of the wealth of information, and I will definitely look into the book.

First, how great that you daughter seems to be natural at the sport and loves it so much already. Second, take a deep breath. Yes, 8yo is late for starting, but on the other hand she's an 8yo child who's been in the sport 1 month Third, I agree that you should do research to understand the system.

A few things: Does the gym you are at now have upper level girls (ie level 9, 10 and elite)?
TOPS is additional to the Junior Olympic program. Girls in TOPS compete JO levels, and train and test in the TOPS program.
The Karolyi ranch is a summer camp run by the Karolyi's, additionally their ranch is the national team training center, used for training camps of our national teams as well as TOPS and HOPES development camps. These camps though are USAG run and are different than the summer camps.

I assume by nationally ranked, you mean your daughter wants to be on the national team someday. To do so she does need to achieve the elite level. This is not done overnight. While gymnasts may fast track through some of the JO levels they do compete some of the levels before qualifying as an elite.

Okay, you need to take a deep breath. You really don't need to decide anything right now. Although your DD is passionate about gymnastics, she has only been doing it 2 months. And she has not even competed yet. I know it is so exciting when our kids find that activity that they love! And if they have a good deal of natural ability it is even better! But, just let her learn her routines and compete for a season, with no pressure to fly through the levels. Even girls who are very naturally talented need time to develop strength and form.

I have no doubt that your DD is amazingly talented, but I would be wary of coaches that were discussing HOPES and Elite with a kid who has been only been doing gymnastics for 2 months. Does your gym have any Elites?

You need to be very careful about letting your DD practice skills at home. There is a very high likelihood that she will pick up bad habits, or be injured. She would be way better off just working on strength and conditioning!

She is very likely too old to qualify for TOPS. I don't know when her birthday is, but I'm guessing she would have to test as a 9 year old next summer. It is highly unlikely that you could take a kid from L2 skill range to the 9 year old TOPs skills/routines by next summer. The 9 year olds she will be testing against will be L7-L9s! Since she is new, she needs to adjust to the amount of training hours, then gradually adjust to more over time. While she can move quickly through the levels if she has the skills, you haven't described any skills that would indicate she is advanced for an 8 year old, so I am not sure why they are talking about pushing through levels, TOPS, Hopes, etc. !

First, how great that you daughter seems to be natural at the sport and loves it so much already. Second, take a deep breath. Yes, 8yo is late for starting, but on the other hand she's an 8yo child who's been in the sport 1 month Third, I agree that you should do research to understand the system.

A few things: Does the gym you are at now have upper level girls (ie level 9, 10 and elite)?
TOPS is additional to the Junior Olympic program. Girls in TOPS compete JO levels, and train and test in the TOPS program.
The Karolyi ranch is a summer camp run by the Karolyi's, additionally their ranch is the national team training center, used for training camps of our national teams as well as TOPS and HOPES development camps. These camps though are USAG run and are different than the summer camps.

I assume by nationally ranked, you mean your daughter wants to be on the national team someday. To do so she does need to achieve the elite level. This is not done overnight. While gymnasts may fast track through some of the JO levels they do compete some of the levels before qualifying as an elite.

Thank you for the advice I am needing to breathe but I am quite feeling like this might spiral out of control which is why I am so concerned.

When I talked to the Manager of the gym she told me that they have had some students that were nationally ranked...........I don't know how long ago that was or anything but what does concern me is they have a board where each level has the girls names for that level. There are no names for 8, 9, 10 or elite and level 7 only has one name on it.

I don't think I have a clear understanding of TOPS or HOPES I am thinking that if we go this route I may need to change gyms, though I have no idea how to even do that.

And yes she wants on the National Team, she talked about that for two full years before I finally enrolled her. Though I am hoping that is years away I don't want to do anything to ruin it and the coaches are talking like if I make the wrong decision her chances may be ruined.

Okay, you need to take a deep breath. You really don't need to decide anything right now. Although your DD is passionate about gymnastics, she has only been doing it 2 months. And she has not even competed yet. I know it is so exciting when our kids find that activity that they love! And if they have a good deal of natural ability it is even better! But, just let her learn her routines and compete for a season, with no pressure to fly through the levels. Even girls who are very naturally talented need time to develop strength and form.

I have no doubt that your DD is amazingly talented, but I would be wary of coaches that were discussing HOPES and Elite with a kid who has been only been doing gymnastics for 2 months. Does your gym have any Elites?

You need to be very careful about letting your DD practice skills at home. There is a very high likelihood that she will pick up bad habits, or be injured. She would be way better off just working on strength and conditioning!

I am beginning to think that maybe my husband was right to tell me that we are dealing with coaches with stars in their eyes. Honestly I don't know if our gym has any Elites currently, they have said they have some that were nationally ranked. I am assuming that meant in the past. And I assumed "nationally ranked" meant they earned a place on the national team. I may need to get clarification on this.

I am nervous about having her practice skills at home but I cannot stop her so I thought it might be best if I got the equipment needed and spotted the best I could (again research I am doing on my own). And yes I am nervous about me not being the best one to practice with also but I just don't know about adding more gym time yet.

I am getty wary, very wary. Thank you .

She is very likely too old to qualify for TOPS. I don't know when her birthday is, but I'm guessing she would have to test as a 9 year old next summer. It is highly unlikely that you could take a kid from L2 skill range to the 9 year old TOPs skills/routines by next summer. The 9 year olds she will be testing against will be L7-L9s! Since she is new, she needs to adjust to the amount of training hours, then gradually adjust to more over time. While she can move quickly through the levels if she has the skills, you haven't described any skills that would indicate she is advanced for an 8 year old, so I am not sure why they are talking about pushing through levels, TOPS, Hopes, etc. !

Hmm yes I can see how this would be a huge problem. Her birthday is in August so she probably would test at a 9 year old level. I can see how this would be hard. Is it possible to wait another year and just see where the next two take us? I don't know much about skills what is required for each level but can only go on what I am told at the gym. I am concerned that all this fast tracking will result in injury. I don't want her hurt.

I would be concerned about injury as well. I don't care how much raw talent a kid is, they still need to finesse important things such as landing technique before they start attempting big skills.

I would be concerned about injury as well. I don't care how much raw talent a kid is, they still need to finesse important things such as landing technique before they start attempting big skills.

Oh boy...............yes I think I am going to throw a red card (0r whatever this sport calls it) We need a time out to look at stuff I think I want her to stay at a level till she at least competes it. I hope maybe this will bring some clarity into it.

And yes she wants on the National Team, she talked about that for two full years before I finally enrolled her. Though I am hoping that is years away I don't want to do anything to ruin it and the coaches are talking like if I make the wrong decision her chances may be ruined.

She most likely has no chance of being on the national team regardless of anything within your control. But that doesn't mean anything. A more realistic goal or decision making metric would be to make it to a level where she could do NCAA gymnastics. It's relevant that the current gym does not seem to be training anywhere near close to this level though.

Making the national team (which would generally happen within the next five years) would require the circumstances to line up perfectly. It's not just ability. You need the right coach, right facility, right body type, avoid injuries at crucial times, be willing to sacrifice, right personality, not fearful. So that's why I say don't base all your decisions on that because it is not all within your control. You may find there are no gyms in your area that train at the elite level. But you would have a much better chance of finding a gym with recent NCAA gymnasts, which is still an EXTREMELY challenging level of gymnastics that 99% will never reach.

As far as TOPs, if she could naturally do the strength moves, there might be a chance. I have coached one child who could have done well in physical abilities six months after starting, and caught up to her age group in skills the next couple of years. But TOPs tests are summer so depending on when her birthday falls there probably wouldn't be enough time to be ready. That doesn't mean she couldn't ever catch up as a 12 or 13 year old, just that within a year or two it might not be realistic.

The first thing to do would be to try a gym that has level 9 and 10.

Sounds like she is fine at her gym for now as a L2/3, and they are willing to push her through. JO is flexible, and she can go through the levels as quickly as she can pick up the skills. Our gym has never been much for tops, or future stars (boys) as the coach feels is 'sidetracks' him and is more expensive for parents. They just do the skills and push where they can. Some girls move quicker than others.
She can literally compete one level a month if she wants to. As long as there is a USAG sanctioned meet around.

Do you have gym choices around?? Do you believe your DD should have down time? Does she go to school and do you want the keep her in school?

I agree with the others that say you need to RELAX. So many of our kids have dreams of being on the national team, going to the Olympics, etc. What is the first major red flag is the fact that the coaches have even mentioned TOPs and HOPEs to you when your daughter started two months ago. Most smart, experienced coaches have a Plan A and Plan B for their gymnasts, but most wouldn't verbalize them to parents, and most certainly not after a few weeks of gymnastics - never mind before the kid competes at a meet.

Second huge red flag - no upper level optionals. Sounds like you need to run, fast, and find a better gym.

And let your DD enjoy her gymnastics, and see where it takes her!!

She most likely has no chance of being on the national team regardless of anything within your control. But that doesn't mean anything. A more realistic goal or decision making metric would be to make it to a level where she could do NCAA gymnastics. It's relevant that the current gym does not seem to be training anywhere near close to this level though.

Making the national team (which would generally happen within the next five years) would require the circumstances to line up perfectly. It's not just ability. You need the right coach, right facility, right body type, avoid injuries at crucial times, be willing to sacrifice, right personality, not fearful. So that's why I say don't base all your decisions on that because it is not all within your control. You may find there are no gyms in your area that train at the elite level. But you would have a much better chance of finding a gym with recent NCAA gymnasts, which is still an EXTREMELY challenging level of gymnastics that 99% will never reach.

As far as TOPs, if she could naturally do the strength moves, there might be a chance. I have coached one child who could have done well in physical abilities six months after starting, and caught up to her age group in skills the next couple of years. But TOPs tests are summer so depending on when her birthday falls there probably wouldn't be enough time to be ready. That doesn't mean she couldn't ever catch up as a 12 or 13 year old, just that within a year or two it might not be realistic.

The first thing to do would be to try a gym that has level 9 and 10.

I will have to do some research into NCAA I know nothing about this route. What are those levels? How do I find out what gyms have what kinds of athletes? I mean this gym told me they had some girls that became Nationally Ranked but I am beginning to wonder if that happened after they changed a gym. She does very naturally do the strength moves, like the rope with her feet in a pike and that kind of thing, but I didn't think that the rope was an event. I told the coach that if we left her in the JO route that I would keep her at a high level of private coaching till she got to the level they feel she should be at if I had started her at the proper age of 2.

I think it would be more realistic that she just go as she can now and catch up to 12-13 year olds which seems to be what is happening anyway.

Sounds like she is fine at her gym for now as a L2/3, and they are willing to push her through. JO is flexible, and she can go through the levels as quickly as she can pick up the skills. Our gym has never been much for tops, or future stars (boys) as the coach feels is 'sidetracks' him and is more expensive for parents. They just do the skills and push where they can. Some girls move quicker than others.
She can literally compete one level a month if she wants to. As long as there is a USAG sanctioned meet around.

Do you have gym choices around?? Do you believe your DD should have down time? Does she go to school and do you want the keep her in school?

I am glad that she can go through the levels at her pace I was mistakenly thinking that each level was a year. This gym they start competing at level 3 so that is what she is testing for next then she will be going to meets with the team. As far as gyms there are two in our town only and I think the other gym is more of a cheer tumbling gym, but I am planning on looking into it just to be sure. It just may mean that only their Cheer squad happened to make our news and that is why that is the opinion.

Down time, if I give her down time, i.e. time away from homework and chores then she is up on the home equipment. Her best friend lives right next to us and is the same way they just want gymnastics playing with dolls has turned into them yelling at the dolls because their form is not correct. I do force her to write her essays and such about stuff other than gymnastics though, I allowed the first one to be about gymnastics. They do one narrative essay that is due each month at school so they did one and she is working the other one as I type this. As far as school, even before gymnastics, I planned on homeschooling her starting in 6th grade. The schools here in town go downhill at the middle school level (elementary is till 5th) because of gang activity and such so she will be home schooled through middle and high school which admittedly will make what seems like the demands of gymnastics are going to grow. I am told that by middle school to be expecting at least 4 hours of gym time on week days and 6 on Saturday.

I do demand that she be on the honor roll to keep gymnastics on this level (she has always been on the honor roll) If her grades slip into Cs then she has to start cutting back on the gym hours so she is motivated there. And both her teachers (the have 2 in third grade) and her principal came to the testing last time that looked like a mini meet they went around to each apparatus and did the level 1 routines and tested other skills also that were not in the routines so the school is super supportive of her.

I agree with the others that say you need to RELAX. So many of our kids have dreams of being on the national team, going to the Olympics, etc. What is the first major red flag is the fact that the coaches have even mentioned TOPs and HOPEs to you when your daughter started two months ago. Most smart, experienced coaches have a Plan A and Plan B for their gymnasts, but most wouldn't verbalize them to parents, and most certainly not after a few weeks of gymnastics - never mind before the kid competes at a meet.

Second huge red flag - no upper level optionals. Sounds like you need to run, fast, and find a better gym.

And let your DD enjoy her gymnastics, and see where it takes her!!

I am beginning to see that your point is VERY valid. I plan on looking at other gyms now that I know a little bit more. It just seems like the coaches are making plans with her a mile a minute and I am running frantically to catch up. As one person said before I don't know how to describe right what is so special about my baby I have not been around gymnastics enough to comprehend a lot of what is going on. I just know as a mom I have some responsibility and I am trying to get a grasp as to where that is. It is very hard to sit in the "mommy seats" and let someone else be in charge of my baby as soon as she "hits the mat", especially when I feel like they are driving at breakneck speeds. But then as a mom I also want to make sure the opportunities are there when she needs them to be.

I am a mom new to gymnastics. My daughter just started this last August and has really taken off. She is 8 years old. My question is: her dream/goal is to one day be Nationally Ranked. The gym is willing to push her there. My question is: How do I go about deciding the right path? So far I have seen 1. Go through all the levels of Junior Olympics 1-10 as fast as she possibly can and then look to go Elite from there or 2: Go the TOPS route or 3: to the HOPES, pre elite, then elite route. I so very regret not getting her involved earlier so I had longer to develop more of a trust in the coaches and a working relationship to get her there without my head spinning sideways, but alas I did not. Now it seem like it is early to be thinking about the route to elite but she is moving up so rapidly that I have no choice but to try and make the best decision possible in the next couple of months. Admittedly I know so very little about this. Is there someone that can please help me make an informed decision? Any opinions and/or advice would be much appreciated.

My honest opinion:

just started 2 months ago + 8 years old + gym saying they will push her to nationals = a shady sales pitch.

*Now, that being said, natural ability does exist and it sounds like your daughter could have a successful & enjoyable gymnastics career. She may indeed be able to move through compulsory levels fairly quickly, but unless she has been doing strengthening and conditioning longer than the two months she has been learning skills, then she has a lot of work to do in that regard and that takes time. You don't need to make any big decisions right now. Like others have said, get through one year of training & competing and then evaluate. Its waaaaay to soon for anything more than that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back