WAG Which way do we go?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

onelittledream

Proud Parent
I am a mom new to gymnastics. My daughter just started this last August and has really taken off. She is 8 years old. My question is: her dream/goal is to one day be Nationally Ranked. The gym is willing to push her there. My question is: How do I go about deciding the right path? So far I have seen 1. Go through all the levels of Junior Olympics 1-10 as fast as she possibly can and then look to go Elite from there or 2: Go the TOPS route or 3: to the HOPES, pre elite, then elite route. I so very regret not getting her involved earlier so I had longer to develop more of a trust in the coaches and a working relationship to get her there without my head spinning sideways, but alas I did not. Now it seem like it is early to be thinking about the route to elite but she is moving up so rapidly that I have no choice but to try and make the best decision possible in the next couple of months. Admittedly I know so very little about this. Is there someone that can please help me make an informed decision? Any opinions and/or advice would be much appreciated.

Started in August as in last month or as in a year ago? What is her current training in terms of hours, level, etc? And, what does her coach have to say about it as far as their plan since you said they are willing?

As in the beginning of last month!!! We have testing once a month at the gym, on the third weekend. My head is spinning at how fast she has gone up she went from rec class to the pre team class end of August (yes the first month) then skipped level 1 and went right to level 2 this week. She trains 3 times a week for 2 hours and then we have a private coach for two nights for an hour. She practices at home constantly. Its eerie.......like last night she stood there watching some of the Parkour kids doing tricks before her private lesson and when she was signing the book for her private lesson she announced that she had a new trick she wanted to show. So the coach said ok show me: Well she got on the tramp and threw these tricks that the Parkour kids were doing 5 minutes before. She had never practiced them before, I supervise all her practices at home and the coach at the gym. Well the same with her gymnastics skills I mean we told her one time to point her toes and we have never had to tell her again even when learning new skills. She was shown how to do a pull over on bars and got it in 5 tries, one night then spent the rest of the month "perfecting" it. I am proud, but also concerned. I want to choose the right path that will help her reach her goal, and also be challenging enough to not get bored, but concerned because I have researched that even with the raw talent that such rapid progression might cause injuries eventually. That is when I started talking to the gym about this. The can push her through the levels as rapidly as she wants to go. But if she goes the TOPS or HOPES route it would have to mean a change in gym. But with her that may be necessary to get the right program for her. I am just looking for which way to turn so I can give an answer when the Head Coach asks again.

Head coach said that If I wanted I could stay and they could push her through the level as fast as possible but it may be holding her back but because we have only really been doing this two months they really don't know if this would be holding her back or if she would eventually even out and slow down on the uprise of levels. Mostly it was a discussion I was to have with the 8 year old and try and decide. So I think I am trying to get as much information as possible on all of the routes. I was told because I was so late in letting her start (there is a story behind that but that is for another thread) that the decision would probably have to be made sooner than normal. But as I am researching the TOPS and HOPES routes I find them kinda............I dunno extreme maybe??? I mean I am one that is trying to make a decision on the best course for my child in a sport that I find so complicated. I have never even been able to do much more than splits and cartwheels much less these Aerial things that my little girl has taken a sudden liking to. I am so lost and just looking for some maybe guidelines from someone who knows so that I can start being informed .........Its not that the decision has to be made at the next test date in 4 weeks but in a few months if she continues this rapidly I MAY have to. I just don't want to make the wrong decision, plus my vanity does not want me acting like a blithering idiot when discussing with the coaches since they have all taken such a keen interest. Also of concern is the fact that my husband says that her talent seems to have made the coaches have "stars" in their eyes, and as much as I want success for my baby, well...............it goes without saying, my baby is not someone elses gold mine my baby is here to catch her dream not someone elses. I just have so many concerns, I am glad I found this board and I hope that I can glean some knowledge from some of you that have been at this for a while.

The skills she needs to learn and the strength she needs to build right now in terms of conditioning are the same regardless of long term goals so I would think that as long as she is happy where she is and the coaches are capable (i.e. is it a gym with a strong optional program??) that she could remain training skills for now. I would not want to waste my time with competing L2 though, so a gym that has a strong pre-team program but waits to compete until L3 or L4 would be ideal so that she can focus on strength and skill building. Even if she eventually ends up doing TOPS or Hopes, she will need to start with some basic skills like her kip on the bar, backhandsprings on floor, etc. She would not be ready to test for TOPS until she has at least L7 and above skills, so even though you may be feeling rushed right now, you really do have time. So for now, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Oh thank you thepenguin that explains why that path was not brought up to me.

gymtigermom thank you so much. Yes she does backhandsprings well but I have no idea what a kip is (my new is showing) I am sure if I ask her in the morning she will get on the bar here at home (yes I have purchased the home equipment much to my husband's dismay) and show me...or maybe not maybe that is something they are still working.
So question, based on how I am reading your response. It is possible to do both the Junior olympics and the TOPS? Isn't there an age limit we are close to with TOPS? And does anyone know about HOPES? is this just a level in TOPS? or is it a third path? I am still fuzzy as I can find all the compulsory routines for JO 1-6 but cannot find such a thing for TOPS or HOPES? I feel like I am trying to research as secret society or something the only thing I have learned is that to test for TOPS around here they have to go to the Karoyli Ranch and I remember hearing some scary stuff about them (I grew up in the Mary Lou/Kerri Strug age). When I brought up the Karoyli Ranch to my husband over dinner my baby pipes up...........yea that is where I am going to camp next year............WHAT????

I am looking for some directional signs here before I jump on my brake pedal with a penchant!

Do NOT for the sake of your DD, do Xcel.. If your DD is good, she can compete level 4, score out of 5 ,(compete and get a minimum score), skip 6(its not required), and possibly. Do 7/8 within a year or two.

Oh thank you thepenguin that explains why that path was not brought up to me.

gymtigermom thank you so much. Yes she does backhandsprings well but I have no idea what a kip is (my new is showing) I am sure if I ask her in the morning she will get on the bar here at home (yes I have purchased the home equipment much to my husband's dismay) and show me...or maybe not maybe that is something they are still working.
So question, based on how I am reading your response. It is possible to do both the Junior olympics and the TOPS? Isn't there an age limit we are close to with TOPS? And does anyone know about HOPES? is this just a level in TOPS? or is it a third path? I am still fuzzy as I can find all the compulsory routines for JO 1-6 but cannot find such a thing for TOPS or HOPES? I feel like I am trying to research as secret society or something the only thing I have learned is that to test for TOPS around here they have to go to the Karoyli Ranch and I remember hearing some scary stuff about them (I grew up in the Mary Lou/Kerri Strug age). When I brought up the Karoyli Ranch to my husband over dinner my baby pipes up...........yea that is where I am going to camp next year............WHAT????

I am looking for some directional signs here before I jump on my brake pedal with a penchant!

I think you can do JO and TOPS. Tops is ages 7-10. Hopes is ages 10-13 (?). Some girls do Tops and then go over to HOPEs as they get older. HOPES and TOPS are separate programs, but both have the goal of developing elite athletes.

The Karolyi's run an open summer camp at the Ranch.

whoa, motigymnasticsmom you sound like the coach, ok so............................it is normal to skip some of these levels? Sorry when the coach started running off these numbers I got lost that is when I started researching and getting myself all lost.

There is an age limit for TOPS . Its all on the USAG website. You could probably find it here too. I rhink a couple of weeks ago, there was a thread about tops/hopes. Hopes is a pre elite path for a little bit older girls(preteens)

I think you can do JO and TOPS. Tops is ages 7-10. Hopes is ages 10-13 (?). Some girls do Tops and then go over to HOPEs as they get older. HOPES and TOPS are separate programs, but both have the goal of developing elite athletes.

The Karolyi's run an open summer camp at the Ranch.
oh thepenguin you are a doll. Thank you for that. So it seems that the JO path is by skill while the elite path is by age.....but both can get her national rank. And HOPES and TOPS are in the same path but different ages. OK

And the Karolyi's run a camp that my baby somehow heard about and wants to go to. I wonder if I would be able to watch...............

Does anyone know where to get the information on the TOPS/HOPES path??

There is an age limit for TOPS . Its all on the USAG website. You could probably find it here too. I rhink a couple of weeks ago, there was a thread about tops/hopes. Hopes is a pre elite path for a little bit older girls(preteens)

Thank you thank you thank you..................this will give me some more direction to go in.

Yes the USAG website (usagym.org) is very informative. You might also be interested in Gym Mom. It's a book written by Rita Wieber (mother of 2012 Olympian Jordyn Wieber).

I want to thank everyone that gave their knowledge tonight. I came on here confused almost to tears and all of you have pointed me in a direction that has been most helpful. I apologize once again for my newness and not knowing what may be so obvious to some others.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back