Parents Participation after injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

patches lee

Proud Parent
Whats the norm after a girl getting injured? Last night 5yo DD was playing on the basketball court side of the gym waiting for her rec class to start. She did a face plant on the floor 5 minutes before class and bloodied her nose. Took her into a room so other girls wouldn't freak out. After a few minutes I got it to stop bleeding. Wasn't broken, swollen or any sign it was major. The coaches were all busy with their pratices. So another mom helped get ice for her. After we got it stopped she was more upset that pratice had started and she was missing it. I told her she should ask the coaches if she could still participate. I dont kbow what kind of policy they have for injuries. I was worried her nose would start to bleed again. They had no problem with her being in. I dont expect them to be doctors but at what point should girls not participate?

After many years coaching you do get a feel for how serious an injury is, a lot of the time you can tell just by the way the child is acting. If they are usually chatty and energetic but they seem withdrawn and quiet then you worry, you watch the way they move and if they seem to be holding back a lot or being tentative you worry.

With the nose I would have checked it out for any signs of bruising or swelling, if there was I would recommend an X-ray and would not have her continue to participate, also if the eyes started to bruise.

If the child is actually bleeding you just can't let them participate because of laws about occupational health and safety, even with a kid you have to prevent the possibility of anyone touching blood, due to the risk of infection.

I'm not a coach and can't answer the question about injuries in general, but my youngest son has bloodied his nose a couple of different times. Both times it was from a minor collision-- either another child's head or the ground. Both times it bled a LOT, but it stopped quickly and he was totally fine afterwards.

I didnt let her go back into the gym until I got her nose to stop bleeding and was cleaned up. I was wondering if they just let parents decide. Or any facial injury usually meant they had to sit out. Like somr football teams require.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back