Parents Were you a gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cathiann

Just wondering how many parents here were gymnasts as kids.

I know I wasn't, but would have LOVED to do it (always loved the sport--my dad, however, wasn't into having us do sports at all and finding a gym for me would have been more than he was willing to do or pay for!).

I was a gymnast. I was very shy and did not like all the attention so I quit gym when I was little. I took it up again in 7th grade through school and competed 2 seasons. Then I went into cheerleading.
I was pretty good at anything going forward but was scared to death of anything backwards except backwalkovers. Never could do a backhandspring because of fear! My daughter is way ahead of anything I ever did.

I did for several years. But, only once a week for 2 hours a week. I would have been a L5 going by current USAG

I did gymnastics in Elementary and High school in the UK, it was very common in schools there and everybody did it. The whole class of 10 year olds was doing neck springs and headsprings over the box vault. Cracked my front tooth doing front of the beam! Knee in mouth syndrome!

I also did gym at a town sports center when I could manage it, it was far on the train alone but I loved it. My Mom never approved of after school activies like homework or fun, she preferred me to spend my spare time cleaning!!

We never did much on bars in gym. I did lots of tramp in college, we would line up two full size tramps with a half bed tramp and bounce from on to the other, lucky we're not dead!

I was so happy when I moved here and there was a localish club for my girls.

Last edited:
No, I'm from a very large family(10). Dad worked 2 jobs & mom stayed at home. We didn't have $ for things like gymnastics & it wasn't offered at school. Parents are proud that we all went to college though:). I was painfully shy. Don't think I ever would have put myself out there, even if we had the $ for gymnastics. But I LOVED to swing on the bars in the playground:D!

I did some basic gymnastics in a school program, but fell off the beam and broke my foot----end of my gymnastics career. Pretty much stuck to softball, swimming and marching band.

I did some gymnastics growing up. Competed Class III (when Class I was highest level):rolleyes:
Went to college and majored in Phys Ed/ Physical Therapy and started teaching preschool gymnastics at a great program. The owners taught me a lot and sent me to clinics and things and I began coaching.
I love gymnastics and my daughter is competing in an aau league--low pressure, lots of fun--and I consult/coach with the team.

I did gymnastics in Elementary and High school in the UK, it was very common in schools there and everybody did it. The whole class of 10 year olds was doing neck springs and headsprings over the box vault. Cracked my front tooth doing front of the beam! Knee in mouth syndrome!

LOVE IT!

No I didn't do gymnastics. I would have enjoyed it but it wasn't around when I was growing up. My parents would not have considered driving any amount of distance to put me in it. I remember trying very hard to figure out a front handspring on my own on the grass. Never happened. I am raising my kids in an urban area now, and there are lots of clubs.

No gymnastics background here either. My gymnastics skills consisted of a cartwheel and being able to bridge up. I could also just barely do the splits (front) in high school after MUCH stretching in PE everyday. I have NO sports skills at all. Always picked last for team sports in PE, etc.

We never took any type of classes when I was a kid. Single dad, worked all the time, no income for extras and usually lived in rural areas. Once in high school, I did band and marching band and loved it. Tried track (loved long distance) but my ankles didn't cooperate and I had to quit. He didn't see the benefit of extracurricular activities at all.

No gymnastics here. Lived in a small town. The town used to do a gym night, meaning gymnasium, not gymnastics. The ocassional let you jump over the old vault table, but that was about it. No gym in my town, and Dad worked, and my mom didn't even drive until I was in middle school!

I did do competitive marching band and winter guard from 8th grade through high school. Even competed nationally for winter guard. It was fun, practiced at least 4 days a week with competitions on weekends, so I guess that's why I don't have a problem with 4 days of practice!

I did gymnastics form age 5 to 9. I loved it. After seeing Mary Lou win the Olympics, this became my goal. I had to stop because my parents just couldn't afford it. It still bother me to this day that I had to quit because I loved it so much. Even if finances had worked out better I am not sure how long my parents would have let me continue. I was going 4 days a week and they weren't happy about it. They kind of look down on any activity that ocupies so much time (unless its school). I still hear their complants when they hear how much my DD trains.

We never did any organized sports as kids, my mom and dad both worked 2 jobs and we just played outside! In school, I hated when we had to do cartwheels because I was never taught HOW to do them, so I used to fake cramps everytime we had gymnastics in PE class, lol. And now look at my kids!! I did try to do a cartwheel as an adult and almost killed myself!

Good question!

Nope, no gymnastics for me. Did a little ballet for about 3/4 years around 1st-3rd grade. I was very SHORT and it didn't go over well with the very strict, very old and very FRENCH ballet teacher. I just didn't look like a dancer so I was feeling unmotivated I suppose. Started English riding lessons. Did lessons up til about HS, paying for them with money received for B-days and Christmas since my parents really couldn't afford it. Also competed on the college equestrian team. also played the clarinet/alto sax from about 3rd grade & all thru HS doing marching band, concert and pit band for the plays. My oldest now plays my clarinet and my middle plays the sax...not sure what my gymmie wants to play yet! I could do cartwheels and backbends and had one split down. Was thinking about trying cheer, but decided it wasn't for me, I was more of a tomboy.

I was a figure skater until it became too expensive and my Mom told me I'd have to stop. I was devastated but took up gymnastics more at school and my coach there invited me to come to some outside classes. He even drove me there and back What different times the 80's were! Did gym until about grade 10 when I got a part time job and went into highscjhool cheerleading (which is not the big deal here like in the US) My favourite trick was Flyaway! I always wished my tumbling would be stronger!

I did gymnastics in a local community ed class for 1 year.. and then I was diagnosed with scoliosis, pretty severe, I had surgery in 7th grade was restricted in a brace for a couple years. I wasnt able to be active.

In High school I was in the Marching band and alos on Color Guard (sounds like us CB Moms could put together a great Guard and work on all our old skills!)

I still worked some gymnastics I could do Splits, Cartwheels, round-offs..

I guess (told by my mother when my girls asked her if I did gymnastics)
I did do them and could have gone further but I was not wanting to do more
I do remember loving the bars tho

also I dont think I could have done to much since my parents were to busy with my brother and his soccer then he got out of that and was a really good tennis player and that took all our time

Just wondering how many parents here were gymnasts as kids.

I know I wasn't, but would have LOVED to do it (always loved the sport--my dad, however, wasn't into having us do sports at all and finding a gym for me would have been more than he was willing to do or pay for!).

Back in the day of the dinosaurs when I was a kid (LOL)
I did 10 years of dance (tap, jazz, ballet and toe) there really wasn't any gymnastics like there is today. When I was 15 the dance studio closed down and that was that for my dance as the other studios were just too far away. The local community center started a gymnastic program which I did for 1 year but when I turned 16 I discovered there were boys LOL and that was that .

No I did dance for a couple of years. A few of my friends did gymnastics. I was not athletic at all I barely passed gym. My mom says she would of never been able to deal with my daughters gymnastic schedule but she thinks it's great that she loves it. I do not know where my daughter gets it but her dad played football in highschool and his cousins did gymnastics.

Nope. I was a competitive swimmer (swam roughly 2.5hrs twice a day, 4hrs Sat, plus dryland training, 400/800 free was "my" race) until my mid-teens when my love for horses won out. Showed hunters/jumpers after that, pretty much rode any horse offered to me in order to pay for my own jumper!

I did compete gymnastics up until I was in 6th grade. But, even on my best day I was never as good as Pixie, lol! I switched to diving and competed JO diving. I was so much better at that. I was also a cheerleader from k-12th grade, not competitive cheer but for football teams. Gymnastics helped in every sport I did. I think it's a good foundation for girls.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back