Senior Letting Off Some Steam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Soaring

Coach
Gymnast
I am a high school senior, and I just felt the need to let off some steam of what this virus has done to me this year. I thought I might share because many of you may have a child that is a senior, or you may know someone at your gym that is, and sharing my thoughts might help you understand what they may feel.

What makes me upset:
I had my last day of high school, without even knowing it was my last. I never got to say goodbye.
I competed my last non-NAIGC meet without knowing it.
I went to my last gymnastics practice at the gym I grew up at without knowing I wouldn't be back.
My goal of getting a certain new skill before the end of the season cannot happen.
I have never won the all around at states, but this year I went undefeated. It feels selfish to say, but this could have been my shot.
I won't get to do the thing at states/regionals where my parents are brought out and we all start crying in a good way.
Prom/graduation are still up in the air.
My grips are still sitting in the gym. I don't quite know why this one makes me upset.
I might not go to campus this fall.
Every practice for the past few years when I had trouble getting through, I would think about how I would feel as a senior at the banquet. My team's gymnastics banquet probably cannot happen this year.
I coached recreation gymnastics throughout high school. I didn't get to say goodbye to my students.
I can't hug my coaches.

What is good:
My gym still welcomes me to participate in our zoom practices.
My entire gym drove by my house to cheer me on and throw me flowers.
I never really had the chance to spend much time with my brother, but now I get to before I go off to college.
I HAVE SO MUCH TIME! I love jigsaw puzzles, and now I finally have the chance to do them.
I get free Krispy Kreme donuts on tuesday if I wear my graduation cap.
I get to decorate my graduation cap this year. My school has never allowed this before.
It seems like everyone understands.

Wow, thank you for sharing. Makes me sad to read what you are missing out on but also happy that you are finding the positives. And I love the fact that your teammates did a drive-by. Hang in there! Continue to stay positive and know that you have lots of people supporting you during this challenging time!

Vent away. I am so sad for all the seniors I know. And I love your awesome attitude! It’s absolutely ok to ”mourn” the things we’ve lost, but it’s so great you can appreciate the good too. Thank you for sharing. Good luck to you!!!

My heart breaks for all of the Seniors. I admire your ability to find the good in this. Congratulations on your graduation and best luck with your next adventure!

Vent and vent and let it all out. This just sucks so bad for everyone and extra for seniors. I have a senior and she too had so many lasts without ever knowing they were coming. You’re right though- everyone does understand.

I'm so sorry about all of it. I'm glad you took this opportunity to express your feelings! As a mom to younger gymnasts, you "veterans" mean so much to them.

The current school leavers have lost so much this year, it’s a shame they cannot get a chance to finish their school career as all the younger years will get this chance, to me it feels like the school leavers have been forgotten about, here in the U.K. they want Year 10’s to go back due to exams next year (they are aiming to starting getting kids back from 1st June) but as we will only have 6 weeks left before the school year ends I can’t see that having much of an impact especially as there is a chance that some won’t go back until the next school year anyway and it may not be school as they knew it anyway.

My daughter is a school leavers (year 11) and has missed out on her exams, leavers essebmly, prom, saying goodbye to her teachers and friends, it sucks for them. In September she is due to go to 6th form to start her A levels but not sure what’s going on there yet except that she has a place.

I am so sad for you @Soaring and all the seniors.
My daughter is in the same boat. We keep positive and I only vent here. It was hard reading your post, like I am hearing my daughter saying it, even though she shows a brave face.

What you need to know is you have accomplished so much to get here and you should be proud of yourself. Stay strong!

I teared up reading your list. It seems like you have a very healthy outlook on this. It's ok to mourn AND look to the bright side. I'm so sorry that you've been dealt this hand. It does suck. Good will prevail however. I have to believe that. ((hugs))

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back