Parents Switched gyms yesterday...very hard decision..lots of emotions...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So yesterday I switched Puma Jr to a new gym after over 5 years at the old one. It was an agonizing decision. I was going to leave in September, but HC talked me into staying. She has learned a lot of amazing skills this past season, but her form is just still very poor. HC is a kind, wonderful man and I felt awful to hurt him, but I have to do what is best for my child. I have learned so much here and have compared scores and videos of his optional girls to the other local gyms. He keeps saying he can fix her form, but it's only improved marginally over the last year. He believes teaching many skills at once, then cleaning them up slowly. It made sense to me at first, but I just don't think it's working. She is being a super good sport. Instead of starting optionals, she'll be doing level 3 again, which she did the '13/'14 season (she did Xcel gold this past season, with the intent of scoring out). She "has" her 4/5 skills, and some higher ones, but they just aren't clean. And the kip is still pretty inconsistent. The new gym does a lot more conditioning, and think she will catch up just fine. She is totally on board. I honestly presented her with the facts and let her make the ultimate decision. I am so proud of her. It's also less hours, less days..but I think it will be quality over quantity. I will really miss the people there. The older kids were so kind to her. That's the other nice thing. Her new team is 8 to 10 (one 11) and her old team was 12-15. I will especially miss the preteam coach, who has helped her so much even though she's been off her team for the last year. I have found myself wishing she was HC. I will never forget the great start HC has given her, and it's obvious he cares very much for his girls. But I am so, so sure this is the right call. Thanks to everyone who has listened/helped/followed the chronicles of Puma Jr.! It is the beginning of a new era. :)

I wish her the best of luck, it's so hard when you care about the people, but know it's not the best place for your kid. I hope she has an amazing L3 season!

Good luck to your daughter! I know that must have been super hard, but it sounds like the best decision all around. Quality is definitely of higher value than quantity, particularly at the lower levels. The better conditioning will help so much!!

Good luck!

It's an individual sport (really) and you need to make decisions that are right for your individual... Having said that, it's not easy. I hope the move works our really well for you all and that when you see you're old club on the comp circuit there will be happy reunions for everyone!

I imagine it was a really hard decision. All the best to her, she will fro sure have an amazing level 3 season. Also, at her age she has tons of time to rise through the levels.

I was also wondering what was going on because you haven't said much lately. It will be hard for your daughter (and you) going back and working on the easier skills, but developing the proper form is most important. I think you are making the best decision and you will be very happy in a couple of years.

I know you truly trusted those coaches and their plan for your DD. You had really been anticipating the score outs and move to optionals this year. I am sorry they couldn't deliver. Hopefully taking her back to basics and increasing her strength and conditioning will get her body more prepared for those higher skills. A season working on the form needed to do well in compulsories should help her going forward. She is young enough that going on a more traditional path does not mean she can't progress to high level optionals if her form improves and she progresses well.

Unfortunately, your DD'S previous gym should not have let parents build expectations they could not deliver.

Kudos to you for making such a good decision for baby puma! I'm sure it wasn't easy to go from almost optional to level 3, but it will really make a huge difference to perfect those basics!! And, you listened to others and got some great advice without getting defensive and snarky! That in and of it self is refreshing!!

Everything will be fine, in a week or so, you will wish you did it sooner. It is a very emotional thing to go through but you made the right decision for your DD!
How exciting!!!!

Thank you everyone for all your kind words and wishes! And thanks for noticing that I haven't said much lately. I wanted to make sure we were solid in our decision, had all my ducks in a row, and told all the proper people before talking about it here. I really put a lot of effort into handling it as professionally as I could. And that's interesting topic, @munchkin3 -wishing I had done it sooner. Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind. That if I had taken the new gym up on L3 in September how much further she'd be right now. That we kind of "lost" a year. But what's done is done, and I am choosing to frame it in a positive way. She did have some great experiences this season, learned a lot of skills, and got to compete some cool things. Hopefully by the time she gets the basics cleaner and gets back to the bigger skills, they will be even more amazing! Maybe it wasn't the most direct path, but it is part of her story. (And I will drive myself crazy if I think of it the other way!!!lol) Second practice is tonight and she is psyched!!!

Awesome news. I'm sure she will have a great year and learn loads - not in the new skills way but in the how to do the skills properly way, and come out so much stronger.
So great she is loving the new gym, well done mum for finding her the right place for now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back