Parents Switched gyms yesterday...very hard decision..lots of emotions...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She turned eight in February, so probably not as young as you're picturing! She first made a kip in October (so 7yr 8mo), so I really thought she would have it solid by now. New HC says it's her lack of arm strength, and thinks she should catch up soon with all the conditioning they do. I was actually starting to feel the tick tock of her getting "too old" to fix these bad habits and have a chance to be a really good gymnast. Hopefully it's not too late! :)

Don't worry about that -- my dd didn't even start gymnastics til she was almost 8. She's 11 now and is a L8. Gaining strength was/is the single greatest factor in improving form and gaining new skills. We moved gyms as well after Year 2 and she improved by leaps and bounds in a years time. Better coaching certainly helped, but the improved conditioning program made a huge difference. Look back in a year and you'll be amazed.

Love reading all these encouraging posts! Kipper still wants to be called "Kipper" because her kip also took FOREVER! It took from June to April to get the first kip, and it wasn't consistent until November! Kip/Cast to horizontal didn't show up until about February. LOL! She is training giants now, which may take just as long to become consistent. Trying to figure out a new nickname.... :)

Love reading all these encouraging posts! Kipper still wants to be called "Kipper" because her kip also took FOREVER! It took from June to April to get the first kip, and it wasn't consistent until November! Kip/Cast to horizontal didn't show up until about February. LOL! She is training giants now, which may take just as long to become consistent. Trying to figure out a new nickname.... :)
Thank you! It's very reassuring to hear that kip problems are common and do get solved! Her Giants on strap bar are actually pretty good and she can do them spotted on a regular bar. But the kip....arrrrrrr....hopefully soon they'll be both consistent and pretty! :)

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back