Acceptable reason to give coaches for switching gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just want to preface this by saying I don't mean to minimalize the amount of work it takes to have a team program at any gym. It's not something I could ever do BUT...

What I think gym owners, coaches, etc. need to remember (and often forget) is that we are purchasing a service from them, an extremely expensive service, and that is training for our children. If we are unhappy or displeased no matter what the reason it is our RIGHT as a consumer to leave. Yes they may be angry or disappointed as they feel they put an "investment" in your child, but that doesn't mean the child is indebted to them.

Some problems within a team program just cannot be fixed. My daughter moved from a laid back gym to a highly competitive gym and this has worked for her. The ideology at her old gym wasn't going to change and it was never going to suit her personality.

You have to be honest in your decision to leave though because believe me if you lie they'll find out and it will be worse in the end. Gyms talk and they always will... coaches move, other athletes move and you don't want to end up looking like the sneaky bad guy to both gyms when you're caught. ;)

I think you have to be honest. We switched gyms and went to the hc/owner and told her politely why we were leaving and how we appreciated the love of gymnastics she gave our dd. Gymnastics is a small community we have already been at two meets together and if we had lied I think it would have been uncomfortable to everyone! Even if the coaches are not happy at least you know you did the adult thing and handled it responsibly:)

True, Sharks, you are purchasing a service....but there is (hopefully) a human element in all this because we are dealing with people, not merchandise! I do not think its right for owners/coaches to react poorly when families leave-they must act professional at all times-but I can understand the hurt as we (coaches ) do CARE about the children.

Kids come and go, and we miss them when they leave (well...some of them, lol). I think the bast way is to just to say you have found a gym with a better fit, and leave peacefully. I have seem bad behavior on both sides.

The gymnastics world is VERY small. We, as coaches, know the problem kids & parents, the gym hoppers, the nice parents, etc of every club around us. Good luck to the OP, I know she has been thinking about moving for a while.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News