Anon Switching gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (1008)

Hey y'all,

I am looking for advice on how to switch gyms without causing any drama with the owner and coaches. I've heard stories about what can happen if you're not careful and want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

The reasons for wanting to leave are 1) the gym being very disorganized and the owner being difficult and at times unfair. 2) wanting to go to a gym with better equipment, coaches and higher training hours to help the chances of having a successful gymnastics career.

What would you recommend I should do to smoothly switch gyms without causing any conflict?

There could potentially be conflict... just ignore it and do your thing. Make sure you have a spot in the new gym first.

Pick your battles... be prepared to lose money to the old gym (ie... seasonal fees... an extra months tuition... etc).

Hey y'all,

I am looking for advice on how to switch gyms without causing any drama with the owner and coaches. I've heard stories about what can happen if you're not careful and want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

The reasons for wanting to leave are 1) the gym being very disorganized and the owner being difficult and at times unfair. 2) wanting to go to a gym with better equipment, coaches and higher training hours to help the chances of having a successful gymnastics career.

What would you recommend I should do to smoothly switch gyms without causing any conflict?
I agree that it is hard to know the reaction. Do make sure that you have a spot at a different location first. Email is best since the owner/staff can process the news and also reply in writing, so there will be little that you have to do in person. Also, you do not have to give a specific reason but general news.

I agree that it is hard to know the reaction. Do make sure that you have a spot at a different location first. Email is best since the owner/staff can process the news and also reply in writing, so there will be little that you have to do in person. Also, you do not have to give a specific reason but general news.
Should I email after the last practice at the old gym or before that (so there could be a chance to say goodbye to coaches and teammates?)

Would this sort of email be good to send when leaving?: "Thank you so much for all that you have done to support *xyz* on her gymnastics journey. However, *date* will be the last practice she will be attending at *old gym*. While we are so grateful for the time *xyz* had at *old gym*, we feel it would be best for *xyz* to attend a different gym to achieve her elite gymnastics dreams."

The reasons for wanting to leave are 1) the gym being very disorganized and the owner being difficult and at times unfair.
This might be a clue to the kind of reaction you are going to get.
Should I email after the last practice at the old gym or before that (so there could be a chance to say goodbye to coaches and teammates?)
I would simply thank them without going into the reasons why you are leaving as this will likely increase any resentment/pettiness. You will still likely encounter staff from the gym at meets.

If the coaches have been nice and you want to say goodbye in person.... I would quietly clear out all belongings at the second to last practice - knowing it may be the last practice. Send the email, and be prepared that you won't get a goodbye. If you do get a goodbye and the coaches were nice people (even if not great coaches) a little thank you card/gift would be a nice touch.

I know many parents here have mentioned getting together outside of the gym with team-mates to say goodbye due to toxicity of some situations.

We changed gyms in May and I just told our coach that she wouldn't be returning - it was the end of the season and there were only a few practices remaining. I didn't give any other details other than thanking the coach for all she's done (we liked her, it was the optionals coach that was a no-go for us). She was sad, shocked, offered her support in any way. She even followed up a few weeks later to let us know that my daughter was really missed and the door is always open. Now come meet season if we run into her, I have no idea how that will go. But my daughter still chats with a few of her former teammates and several have also left and joined the new gym we're at. So, so far so good.

We changed gyms in May and I just told our coach that she wouldn't be returning - it was the end of the season and there were only a few practices remaining. I didn't give any other details other than thanking the coach for all she's done (we liked her, it was the optionals coach that was a no-go for us). She was sad, shocked, offered her support in any way. She even followed up a few weeks later to let us know that my daughter was really missed and the door is always open. Now come meet season if we run into her, I have no idea how that will go. But my daughter still chats with a few of her former teammates and several have also left and joined the new gym we're at. So, so far so good.
That's good to know! Our current coaches are truly amazing and would most likely have the same reaction. As for teammates, there will be no way any of them will want to switch, but they are at the age that they all have phones!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back