Parents advice on transitioning out of gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

balancedmom

Proud Parent
HI all-- After over a year plus of on and off injuries and falls, DD (L7) is taking a 'break' from gym....she is doing some other activities but clearly the transition is hard, and she is not taking it well. Anyone go through this and have any advice on how to successfully move your kid out of the sport they love and have been doing for years. And no, we are not ok sending her back at this point-- her body needs a break from gym. It is so hard since she fully identifies as a 'gymnast' but her safety has to come first.....thanks all

Have not personally been though it yet, but have friends that have, coaching, or junior coaching or volunteering at the gym depending on her age.

Is there anything else that's always piqued her interest but you've had no time/resources for? My DD came up with off the wall things- rhythmic and acro gymnastics, circus arts, salsa, indoor skydiving.. there are so many things they could try and gymnasts seem ahead of the curve on almost everything. My DD was absolutely heartbroken when we forced her to quit, but honestly she is completely flourishing now, only four months later.

I know it's hard. We are going through the same thing, even though it's been almost a year. The only solution is to keep her busy as much as possible.
DD chose dance, but she only dances 2 nights a week for now. After being busy with gymnastics 20 hours a week, she is going crazy on her off days. She does drama at school, that keeps her busy some. And she signed up for softball, but that doesn't start until April (2 night a week practices, and a game on the weekend). Hopefully that will be enough to keep her occupied, otherwise she is bouncing off the walls with all that extra energy.
And yes, still missed gymnastics a lot, still would choose gymnastics over anything else in a heartbeat, if it were a possibility.

My OG had a couple of years off of gymnastics (major drama and minor injuries), but came back to it this season. In the meantime, she has done track and volleyball… which she will continue doing.
She just missed gymnastics too much to stay away and she is doing better and the drama has lessened.

I agree with other posters that she will need to find activities to keep her busy.

I have no advice but want to give you a virtual hug. I've been following your DD's story and know that this must have been a tough decision to make. I hope you will stick around and let us know what she discovers next. One thing I've noticed around here is that when a door closes another one opens and these athletes always seem to find a rewarding life post-gym. Hugs to you.

It's hard to be sure. Unfortunately I think gymnastic hours make it difficult for the kids to have other interests. So if gymnastics ends, especially not on their own terms it makes seem like there is nothing out there. Clearly there is.

I would get her to try somethings she wanted to but couldn't before. And of course encourage catching up with or making new non gymmie friends.

And for those of us not there yet, it is a good reminder to make sure our gymmies are not all one thing, all the time.

Give your daughter some time, she will find a new rhythm.

How about cross fit? Lots of places around here have classes for kids/ teens, and she could work out daily.
I was actually going to suggest this as well. If there is a chance she may want to return to gymnastics, CrossFit will help her stay in great shape. Also may provide an outlet for her that is challenging physically.

I have no advice but want to give you a virtual hug. I've been following your DD's story and know that this must have been a tough decision to make. I hope you will stick around and let us know what she discovers next. One thing I've noticed around here is that when a door closes another one opens and these athletes always seem to find a rewarding life post-gym. Hugs to you.
thanks so much-- yes it has been a tough road. My DD was not frequently at the top of the podium (though occasionally she was), but she loved gym,. was training L8 and competing L7 and really doing well. I don't know if it is growth or what else, but she just keeps falling and getting hurt. Thanks for these kind words!

Thanks all-- didn't think of cross fit. We will try that, but are trying some activities (like dance) where perhaps over time she can improve and dedicate more time to....it will be hard, but we are trying. Thanks for all the advice!

just a thought - competitive diving. one of the girls in the gym actually moved from JO to Excel because she started competitive diving. her diving coach wanted her to stay in gymnastics b/c all that tumbling and form building goes hand in hand with the dives. this particular kid is not afraid of anything and is fearless when it comes to diving and she's really good and progressing rapidly. also, not as much competition in female diving as in gymnastics. one has to not have a fear of heights though!

just a thought - competitive diving. one of the girls in the gym actually moved from JO to Excel because she started competitive diving. her diving coach wanted her to stay in gymnastics b/c all that tumbling and form building goes hand in hand with the dives. this particular kid is not afraid of anything and is fearless when it comes to diving and she's really good and progressing rapidly. also, not as much competition in female diving as in gymnastics. one has to not have a fear of heights though!
Someone I know through my profession had a daughter who was a gymnast, could no longer compete due to ankle issues, became a competitive diver and got a full ride to the University of Southern California for it.

My youngest dives now and really likes it.....it doesn't seem as intense to me as gymnastics always did but that could be because it's new to us, but it certainly is a viable option for a former gymnast.

Laura Wilkinson was a Karoli gymnast and went on to win diving gold at the Olympics in Sydney. Find her on Facebook, in the past year she has been diving again and is amazing especially for giving birth to 2 kids (and adopting a 3rd with another adoption in progress).

Hi there!
My daughter who is going into gymnastics (rec and HS) just came out of diving. So many ex-gymnasts were on her team. One in particular broke her elbow and her family brought her to our club. Within one season she was competing JO and went to Nationals. This past summer she almost qualified with one of our senior girls for Rio. We ended up leaving after my kiddo sprained her back. She's all healed now but had reached a point where we had to decide to homeschool and go up to 2 a days/6 days a week. Diving can be as intense time wise as gymnastics. She decided she didn't want to continue.

Hi there!
My daughter who is going into gymnastics (rec and HS) just came out of diving. So many ex-gymnasts were on her team. One in particular broke her elbow and her family brought her to our club. Within one season she was competing JO and went to Nationals. This past summer she almost qualified with one of our senior girls for Rio. We ended up leaving after my kiddo sprained her back. She's all healed now but had reached a point where we had to decide to homeschool and go up to 2 a days/6 days a week. Diving can be as intense time wise as gymnastics. She decided she didn't want to continue.

Are you saying that a girl , who was a diver until a few years ago (i.e. late start gymnast), almost qualified for the Rio Olympics as a gymnast for the US? I would think that type of story would have been out there and known...

Are you saying that a girl , who was a diver until a few years ago (i.e. late start gymnast), almost qualified for the Rio Olympics as a gymnast for the US? I would think that type of story would have been out there and known...
No she was saying her daughter an ex diver (now gymnast) had a diving team mate who was an ex gymnast who nearly made national team for diving.

OP for my kids transitioning out of gym has been easy as they had something they were passionate about to go to. It's finding that new passion.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back