Parents advice on transitioning out of gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mine transitioned out of gymnastics last summer due to too many injuries, started diving in September, has a JO list on 1m, and will start competing soon. She's also working a bit on 3m and will have the chance for trying platform more soon. She's really enjoying diving, but does miss the intensity of gymnastics as her hours in diving are much less. She's also perusing non-sport interests that she didn't have time for when she was doing gymnastics. Wishing your gymmie a smooth transition.

We have had many team girls and boys go on to dive very successfully (D1 scholarships). One of our former gymnasts holds the high school pole vault record in our state.

Our local pole vaulting and diving clubs are like a family reunion of ex-gymnasts.
My ds is in his 3rd year of competing both gymnastics and JO diving (diving has FC and JO competition levels). The skills translate very well, other than learning to land on your head!
T&T is another great option for ex-gymnasts who left due to injuries. Less impact and more flexible training hours, but you still have conditioning and team camaraderie. Trampoline training is also vital for diving skills.

It's hard to be sure. Unfortunately I think gymnastic hours make it difficult for the kids to have other interests. So if gymnastics ends, especially not on their own terms it makes seem like there is nothing out there. Clearly there is.

I would get her to try somethings she wanted to but couldn't before. And of course encourage catching up with or making new non gymmie friends.

And for those of us not there yet, it is a good reminder to make sure our gymmies are not all one thing, all the time.

Give your daughter some time, she will find a new rhythm.

My DD transitioned out of gymnastics last year. We knew it was coming so she started ice skating and archery before she was finished with gymnastics. That helped.
For ice skating she had to have private coaching from the beginning ( due to scheduling with gym) and that has been the best decision I made. It was difficult for her to go from being a higher level gymnast to a beginner figure skater. She has progressed incredibly quickly thanks to good coaching! Her first freestyle competition is April 1 st! So she is picking music and her costume and having her program choreographed and really enjoying that.

As far as time goes, I agree , it's been difficult to go from 16 hours a week of gym to 3-6 hours a week of skating.

She is focusing on school and has started an online business!!!!!

My DD transitioned out of gymnastics last year. We knew it was coming so she started ice skating and archery before she was finished with gymnastics. That helped.
For ice skating she had to have private coaching from the beginning ( due to scheduling with gym) and that has been the best decision I made. It was difficult for her to go from being a higher level gymnast to a beginner figure skater. She has progressed incredibly quickly thanks to good coaching! Her first freestyle competition is April 1 st! So she is picking music and her costume and having her program choreographed and really enjoying that.

As far as time goes, I agree , it's been difficult to go from 16 hours a week of gym to 3-6 hours a week of skating.

She is focusing on school and has started an online business!!!!!
That is just awesome. Thanks for sharing.

My L6 boy needed to quit at 10 due to pain in so many joints. Slammed him into full-time swim team.

If she's not ready to leave gymnastics, and has dealt with injuries, I would seriously consider putting her on a swim team for a time, keep her stretching and see if she can go back and swim a couple times a week to maintain. My kid who does swim team about 15 hours/week and gym 9-12 hours/week will occasionally do something to her back in one of those two (she does Xcel and keeps flexion to a minimum) but she just doesn't get problems with her wrists, knees, ankles, etc. And she's super long.

My daughter was level 9. She started rock climbing. Loves it so far. Might transition into competing. She just turned 13. I think she would like diving but I've done the long drive to gyms for years so would like to avoid it. She'll try track and field in the spring and mountain biking in the summer/fall. She tried dance but it was boring.

I think this year my daughter will be done with gym and I hope she finds some things that she likes to do. I'm not sure she'll ever love anything as much as she loves gym, but she has done a few activities she likes and might want to pursue. I think she'll need to do crossfit or something to keep her active. She likes rock climbing, so maybe she can try that.

I think it is very hard for them when they leave the sport, especially when it really isn't their choice (injuries). I saw this article awhile back and it was pretty good at describing how hard leaving gymnastics is.

http://arizonasonoranewsservice.com/gymnastics-hardest-break-life/

Mariposa, I'm not sure if I should say I'm sorry or what. I will say your DD has tenacity. She has clearly worked hard at gym succeeded with determination and a positive attitude.

Mariposa, I'm not sure if I should say I'm sorry or what. I will say your DD has tenacity. She has clearly worked hard at gym succeeded with determination and a positive attitude.
She hasn't decided yet, but I have a feeling that this is her last year. She doesn't talk about her gym future (what will my next floor music be? I'm going to get my xx skill, etc) like she used to, these past few months have been hard on her mentally and emotionally. Gym never lasts forever and as they say, they all hang up their grips someday. She's learned many life skills she can take with her wherever she goes! She's had lots of fun, made great friends and developed a love for fitness that hopefully will last her a lifetime.

Last edited:
One activity no one has mentioned is martial arts . If you find a good dojo it can be quite intense, though not at the same level as gymnastics. I did karate years ago and we had an ex gymnast who was amazing .

Come to think of it one of my rowing teammates was a competitive gymnast through college . It's a great sport for teenaged girls and it eats up lots of time . But unlike gymnastics it is generally helpful to be tall.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back