WAG Another level 9 question ::laughs::

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bumblebee462

is round off backhandspring double back/tuck on floor a bonus?

I actually pulled my doubles out for state, regionals and westerns last year because there is no reason to compete them in 9, no reward = no reason.

I actually pulled my doubles out for state, regionals and westerns last year because there is no reason to compete them in 9, no reward = no reason.

But if the gymnast is proficient at it, would you still remove it? Wouldn't that also make them better prepared for L10? Consensus on coaches, would you keep a double back in L9 or remove it despite the gymnast's readiness?

Coaches....what is the 'easiest' Level 9 bars routine? As in the minimum requirement for 9?? I watched some on Youtube but seems that there are a few different ways to get onto the bars (some went to low first and some used springboard to high) and I think (but not positive) I saw two different types of releases?

My daughter's first year competing Level 9....want to know what to be scared to watch :) And her bars are her weakest event so I"m sure she will do the minimum requirement. Just not sure what that is.

If anyone has a link I can watch, I'd appreciate it.

But if the gymnast is proficient at it, would you still remove it? Wouldn't that also make them better prepared for L10? Consensus on coaches, would you keep a double back in L9 or remove it despite the gymnast's readiness?
==
Depends or your definition of proficient. My definition is, I want first place, so if there is a chance of a landing deduction I take it out for the big meets. In my instance they scored a tenth higher without it.

The typical level 9 bar routine we saw last year was; kip squat on, kip cast handstand, clear hip handstand, swing half turn (in handstand), bail (preferably to handstand but not necessary), kip cast squat on, kip cast handstand, giant, giant, double back. Starts out of a 10 as long as the clear hip and swing half are to handstand.

I lean in the direction of leaving the skill in, because sooner or later they'll need that skill and need to be able to count on it..... like when they go to L10 and feel they need all their skills to qualify for JO's. I'm not a believer in kids being able to compete a skill on an occasional basis and then being able to put it in when they need it.

So while that would be my first choice, I'd step away from that position for the last meet of the season if the kid in question seemed destined to repeat the level and asked to do the plan b routine. I suppose that brings a larger issue into play...... Who gets the final say? The kid who needs to have a clear head to compete, or the coach who has a comprehensive plan? Well maybe that's another thread......

I don't doubt that many of us coaches work throughout the training cycle to instill the notion of "we do this every day." Certainly there are many ways to come by that prideful feeling, and one of my favorites is to have them compete the skills they trained all season so they would have them solidly polished by seasons end, but that's just me.

The one tenth that may be lost from the score? Well maybe it's a lost 1/10th, but then again..... if two kids go out and do routines flawless routines (yeah, I doubt it too) that have equal start value, with one kid going the conservative route and the other "puts it out there," I'm thinking the 2xback is gonna be a factor in favor of that gymnast.

Hearing what the coaches have to say, I now wonder if it is indeed proficient or perfect. Her coach's rule is the gymnast has to land the skill 7 times in a row before it can be competed. She's done that and lands 9 times out of 10. So, her coach says she is competing it. But I've never seen it and I don't know if there are any landing deductions. It is her first D tumbling skill in floor and I am quite nervous about it. Is that rule sound?

The issue is safety and making sure it remains the number one priority. If "landing the skill" means only a step or small hop deduction..... and not landing the skill means something more but not to the point of landing with too little height, too little rotation, or complete loss of control from too much of either..... I'd say she's at a good point with the skill and could polish it as she competes with it, provided she's not wearing out her wrists, knees, and ankles.

If landing it means no deduction and she can do that 9 of 10 times, then she and the double back are both definite keepers.... and her coach is too.

I feel like I am hijacking this thread. I sincerely apologize.

I honestly do not know how she is landing the skill. Her coach has told me a while back that she seems to not fight for the stick because of what he thinks she was never really trained to do. Anyway, my daughter has told me her coach stacks 2 8 inch mats on the pit (so it is a lot higher than the floor) and that is where they usually practice their double backs. So the no deduction landing is probably not what she is doing 9 times out of 10. From what I hear though, she has enough height and is over rotating more often than not.

Often times when I hear something from a coach or my daughter, I think that seems simple enough, just to find out from the great coaches of this forum, it is a lot more involved. Thank you very much!

The typical level 9 bar routine we saw last year was; kip squat on, kip cast handstand, clear hip handstand, swing half turn (in handstand), bail (preferably to handstand but not necessary), kip cast squat on, kip cast handstand, giant, giant, double back. Starts out of a 10 as long as the clear hip and swing half are to handstand.
OK, so not to be clueless, but which of the above is the release skill?

I don't actually know what a bail is. And not sure what a double back is but thinking maybe that's the dismount? I know at some point (Level 8?) she did giant, giant, flyaway?

So, I'm thinking the bail is the release?

Again, clueless...sorry! Also scared to actually watch whatever that release is!!

So trying to get a handle on it, lol!! As I said in my original question, trying to find out minumum, as in 'easiest' routine she will be doing!

At L9 she needs 2 skills involving flight (or one with LA turn in place of a 2nd flight). The bail counts as flight. So she will need another release or LA turn. The double back dismount is a C skill and fulfills the requirement of a dismount of at least a B. The Bail can be a B,C,or D skill depending on if it is from/to handstand. She can earn up to .3 bonus (to start from a 10), if her more difficult skills are connected.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back