WAG Another level 9 question ::laughs::

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Between these two skills, is one preferred for progression reasons or competition than the other for L9, full to overshoot or blind to front giant, half (?) to overshoot?

For me, I would do the blind front giant half for 2 reasons. 1. The blind full is a D in JO, an if they shootover/bail goes to handstand it is also a D. You can't have two D's in level 9. 2. There is actually a composition deduction for having no front grip skills in nine (not that it gets taken very often).

For me, I would do the blind front giant half for 2 reasons. 1. The blind full is a D in JO, an if they shootover/bail goes to handstand it is also a D. You can't have two D's in level 9. 2. There is actually a composition deduction for having no front grip skills in nine (not that it gets taken very often).

true dat! :)

Changed the rules this year so blind full wouldn't count against the one D, right? Though agree including and working the front grip skill is preferable.
Allowed: "A’s", "B’s", and "C’s" & any number of the following D/E’s: Dance on BB/FX & any "B" or "C" "root" element with a 1/1 pirouette on UB. A max. of one "D or E" other than those indicated above may also be performed.
All allowable D/E’s are considered as "C" for VP & CV

Thank you very much for the info. My daughter is not yet being trained to do an overshoot to handstand. So if she does a full blind, she should be ok anyway. She said she can do a front giant (don't know how good it is) but her coach is opting to having her do a blind full. Her teammate is doing the blind half to front giant but this is her 3rd year in L9. So, I thought that must have been harder. None of his L9s have the same bar routine.

May I ask what is the deduction for not having a front grip skill and what are other examples of a front grip skill? In the few L9 bar routines I've seen, I don't recall seeing front giants? Is this a deduction many coaches are not aware and/or judges?

They want them going different directions. So two 1/2 pirouettes is better than one full. It is up to .20 for insufficient directional change. They should also be doing circling skills forward and backward, although this is only .05 if you're missing one.

coaches know about the deduction for no front grip. they would rather take that than giving up .30 for a crappy front giant or hop to reverse with bent arms catch. it's a trade off.

Changed the rules this year so blind full wouldn't count against the one D, right? Though agree including and working the front grip skill is preferable.
Allowed: "A’s", "B’s", and "C’s" & any number of the following D/E’s: Dance on BB/FX & any "B" or "C" "root" element with a 1/1 pirouette on UB. A max. of one "D or E" other than those indicated above may also be performed.
All allowable D/E’s are considered as "C" for VP & CV

I believe the 1/1 was included because gymnasts sometimes fall over in the wrong direction, turning their 1/2 into a 1/1, and creating a second D. I know of two gymnasts in different years that were affected by this rule at regionals. The intent is not to encourage giant 1/1 at L9.

Many coaches are interpreting the new changes to encourage upgraded dismounts on the various events at L8, L9 and L10. It's generally not advisable to add Ds at L9 unless they are perfect and many Ds in the middle of routines are not perfect. You can add complexity and beauty with excellent root Cs that can be upgraded to Ds and C connections the following year at L10.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back