Parents Anyone competing this weekend?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been in lurking land the past week or so---a few little tech issues getting on here which JBS helped clear up.
Anyway, my gymie had her 2nd L7 meet last weekend. Nice big gym, so good viewing, but their sound system was awful. This is the way my gymie seems to go through all of her seasons---shaky 1st meet then starts to settle in and build as the meets go on.

I'll put the scores in the order they competed.
Beam: Ugh 1st event at like 9am! Fell on the bwo series Score: 7.9(same as 1st meet)
Floor: She smiled!! She worked it! Coach put her up 1st since she said her music gets the crowd going. Got the head judge going---he was smiling and tapping his hand during her routine. This is my kid who "tolerated" floor while a compulsory gymnast---what a change in her with her own music/choreo. Now says, "I LOVE floor." Score: 9.0(up from 8.7)
Vault: The coaches are getting even more power out of her run--this is her "easy" event.
Score: 9.3(up from 8.65)
Bars: Dang--got the other grip hung up on the low bar this time. Had to take an extra swing to kip/cast. Judges told her coach, that the rest of the routine was so nice, they hated to take that big 1st deduction. Stuck her flyaway cold. Scores overall were low on bars.
Score: 8.575(up from 8.35)
AA: 34.775(up 1.175)
Lots more girls at this meet and the ages were divided more evenly. She took 3rd on vault(huge smile getting up on the podium), 8th on bars, 6th on floor and 11th AA.
She was pleased, as was her coach. Now she is determined to get beam solid. Next meet is a big invitational on Feb. 8(we have the 8am session---uuuuuggggghhhh!)

Congrats on the great meet. It was awesome that she placed 3rd!:DBig smiles here.

We have a meet at 4 tomorrow night. Talked to some of the girls that went friday and earlier today and the scores seem to be running high. In fact at the level 7 session this morning I am told they gave a 10! Haven't ever seen that, it was on vault. I tried to go online and verify that score but the website crashed. Keep fingers crossed that the judges aren't too tired to give those big scores tomorrow!

We'll let you know how it goes!

DD had her L5 Sectional meet yesterday... she qualified for States!!! Yippee!!

I thought the Judges were scoring very hard on the floor routines!!

Anyway. . . her scores were: 9.250 on Beam; 8.725 on bars; 8.5 on floor and 8.65 on vault... for an AA of 35.075..

Anyone else out there at the L4/5 Sectional meet in Chantilly?

Great job to your daughter Gym Law mom:) sounds like she kicked it on floor:) How exciting that even the judge loved her music and showed it. How fun:) Great meet:) and great scores:)

DD has her 3rd level 4 meet this weekend. It's a meet hosted by our gym so there's probably going to be a bit more pressure for them to perform well. I'm kind of bummed, though, because they're splitting the teams out by age, and by different sessions. So 1/3 of her team competes at 8:15am, another 1/3 at 10:30 then her session is at 12:35. We want to cheer everyone on so looks like we'll be showing up at 8! Oh, well. Next weekend we have to be at the host gym at 7:30am. Ugh.

Anyone else competing this weekend?

Tumblequeensmom... we were at the meet in Chantilly. DD also qualified for states with a 34.225 yeah!! I think she got a 8.35 on floor. I found the judges to be tough on floor too. I'm just happy she qualified. This is her first year competing at all so now she can just concentrate on getting better for states :) I can't believe there were 301 level 4's.

Congrats to all the gymnasts!

Rayna has her 2nd qualifier this weekend. Here you do 3 and they average the top 2 scores to see if you qualify. The qualifying score here is 44.4 and she got a 46.3 at her first meet. So a little less pressure on the score front, but she has 5 cousins, 2 aunts, a grandma and a friend of mine for the first time, so possibly more pressure from a different source.

I'll update on Saturday night!

Cate had her 3rd Level 6 competition of the season sunday night and it went really well. The whole team did well and they finished 4th. The judges were still in a pretty good mood and two more teammates qualified for states.

Cates scores were:

Vault 9.225 6th (highest score of the season)
Bars 7.450 uuugh bars!!!!
Beam 9.150 2nd
Floor 9.050 4th

AA 34.95 good for 4th

I was so excited that she placed in AA even with the bars score. She was actually a little dissapointed, the 1,2,3 finishers got a trophy. A PINK trophy, and she is crazy about anything pink, lol.

Her next competition is Sat morning at 7:45 am, and it's about and hour and a half away. I won't complain about sun night meets any more!

Myjalark--Hope you enjoy your stay in CO. The Pikes Peak Cup is usually a good meet--lots of gyms from the region come. Staying at the host resort and eating there can get rather pricey. Lots of more reasonable places to eat only about 5 miles away. Remember to always have a water bottle and make sure dd really hydrates. She'll be doing gymnastics at 6500 ft.,so it can take alot out of them. Throw some chapstick in her gym bag. Chapped lips are a common complaint around here.

Weather supposed to be ok---high 30s/low 40s.

Good luck!

Catesmom--congrats to your dd on her meet. Sounds like she and my gymie are exact opposites. Mine loves bars and lets just say, has "issues" with the beam.

Those late Sun. meets are real killers---especially when you have to get the sleepy gymnast up for school on Monday am!

Emily has another meet this Sat morning, then our next meet after this isn't till the beginning of March and then 2 in a row again and then State at the end of March. This season is going by so fast.... Wow.....

I can't believe it but our 4th meet of the season is over. These back to back weekends are killers. Just three more meets to go before states, and only two are qualifiers. Where has this year gone?

Cates scores at The Valentine Classic

Vault 8.35 -down from a 9 but placed 10th
Bars 6.850 need I say more
Beam 8.9 1st place
Floor 9.0 3rd place

AA 33.10 good for 7th

Scores were very tight at this meet, and few girls qualified for states. I hope they are a little more generous at our next meet. Cate has qualified but we are still trying to qualify 2 more girls. The Level 6 team took first place up from 4th at the last meet. She worked at our local college meet today, and got some tips from her favorite judge. It can't hurt!

Good luck with everyones upcoming meets!:)

Well, dd had her 3rd Level 4 meet yesterday (6yo). Wasn't her best but she was okay with it. Her scores:

Vault ~ 8.9 (10th place)
Bars ~ 7.2 (15th place) (finally got her front hip circle but swung around on her shoot-thru and her mill circle, which she's never missed in a meet before! :eek:)
Beam ~ 8.25 (12th)
Floor ~ 7.5 (13th - still doesn't have the ROBHS or she'd score higher)

It was a tough meet. The Parkette Invitational where there are gyms from all over the country. There were 15 girls in her age group. The 1st place girl had an AA score of 37.70. My poor dd had a 31.85, 11th AA. And, they only gave out awards to the top-2 per event, then the top-5 all around. Kind of bummed because the girl that took 1st is from our state and she'll be there at states in 4 weeks. Oh, well.

Hope everyone had a sucessful meet weekend!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back