DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my dd did well this weekend for her first meet

beam-8.6
floor 8.7
vault 9.5
bars 7.8

NettyinPa,

Sounds like your DD is doing great! Don't worry too much about the ROBHS...it will come soon I promise. Remember how I posted my DD used to practically land on her head on hers? The other day she asked the coach to be spotted for a RO double HS on the floor (never attempted before) and then went off and did a couple on her own. Go figure! They just have to do it when it feels right for them, but once they get it...they GET it!

Yeah, I might be a little intimidated going to Parkettes, but what a great opportunity for your DD. And at States you will see a bunch of girls that you never knew existed because you will never compete with all gyms in your state, LOL Too bad they were a little short on the places...with 15 girls you would think they would have gone out to at least 5 or 6th place. My DD's first 9 (9.4 on vault) was at a meet that gave everyone medals and no emphasis on place. Which is nice sometimes for the first year, but boy was my DD looking for that first great score medal.

Any more meets before your states? It will get stressful in the gym about 2 weeks before states, try to keep her happy & calm and she will be fine!

CONGRATS on your DD's scores too Medic! What great first meet scores, especially the vault! I know at meets that was the one good score we could count on. Sounds like she's off to a good start.

Blackie6 ~ Thanks for your kind words. She's fine with how the meet went, wasn't really upset at all. I spoke with a level 7 mom last night. Her dd placed 7th all around with a 37.125. 1st place was 37.925. That's how tight this meet was.

We have 2 more meets before states. One this weekend, and one the last weekend in February. States are the first weekend in March. Your dd is done, right?

Congrats to all who did so well at their meets last weekend!! All the girls did great and now Medic, you can't call yourself a "rookie" when it comes to gym meets:)

Our optional teams will be at the Paige Smith Invitational in Denver this weekend. Actually, most of our girls will compete on Friday. Level 7s drew the early(YAWN) session. Have to be at the warm up gym about 7:45 am. They are splitting the girls in the Level 7 and 8 sessions into 2 flights. One flight will do a formal march in and compete 1 event before the 2nd group comes in. Should be interesting!

I'm sort of a long lost poster - was here back in the summer and sort of just stopped dropping in. Anyway, my dd Lily is a 6yo Level 4 and she's competing in her 2nd real meet on Saturday (we had one in-house meet). We are in Virginia. She had a decent first meet but fell off the beam twice and was very wobbly.

Meg

Nope I am no longer a rookie.My dd is hooked..she would compete every weekend if I let her. I am glad she had such an awsome experience. She has steped in up in practice also....She competes on the 1st again.

I'm sort of a long lost poster - was here back in the summer and sort of just stopped dropping in. Anyway, my dd Lily is a 6yo Level 4 and she's competing in her 2nd real meet on Saturday (we had one in-house meet). We are in Virginia. She had a decent first meet but fell off the beam twice and was very wobbly.

Meg

to Medic - sooooo excited to your little one congrats for a fantastic meet - AND a WOW for beam! Awesome!!!

to Meg - best of luck to L for another wonderful meet - she is gonna rock it :D... we are traveling to Indy in the morning tomorrow to watch our L5's & 6's compete - ROAD TRIP!

Interesting meet in more ways than one! The gyms were divided and the 1st half came in did one event and then would go back to the warm up gym and warm up their next event while the 2nd group was in the main gym competing. They went back and forth like that for the entire session. When they got back to main gym to compete, they did get a 30 second touch warm up on the apparatus, bc it is different from what they used in the warm up gym. The girls all said they really liked this meet format. Meet was run much like a regional/sectional type meet---the girls all had a competitor number pinned on the backs of their leos.
2 things my gymie didn't tell me before we left the hotel to go to the gym--a) she had a sore throat and b) her knee was bothering her(again)---apparently has been for a few weeks, but didn't say anything bc she knew I would talk with the coach and she wouldn't be vaulting/cut back on floor for a little while. So, I see her come in for her 1st event(vault) and she has pre-wrap as a patellar tendon compression wrap! So, I had to wait for the end of the meet to find out what was going on. And now, she's down for the count with some upper respiratory viral thing.

Anyway, with all that here are her scores:
Vault: 9.05( I could tell the knee was a little issue on her run)
Bars: 9.0(grips didn't get hung up at all!!)
Beam: 8.35(1 fall)--this event was scoring quite low, but for her it was her best routine of the year. Finally got credit for the bwo-bwo.
Floor: 9.075
AA: 35.475(up about 1 point again)

They had gyms from 4 states for L7, so placement was very competitive especially for the 12 and under. Didn't place on vault or beam---did place on bars/floor and was 11th AA. No, she didn't have the BIG scores, but overall very consistent. The head coach put her up 1st on bars and floor to get a good 1st score and told her she did great in setting up the team. He also said he felt she should have scored higher on bars and floor---maybe even on beam.
Team took 2nd which just made their day!!!

As a side note, many of you are aware of the problems we had at our previous gym. Well, guess who walked in while the L7s were on their last rotation--her former coach! He was there to coach his L8 team(they have 2 girls left) and I saw him stand there and watch my gymie do her floor routine. She never scored 9s as a compulsory on floor(usually mid to high 8s) and here she was dancing and tumbling and looking like she was having a blast. This was the coach that told her she didn't have what it takes to be in gymnastics.

Good Job everybody.
My DD competed her first Level 8 Meet.She did pretty good for the first one.It was a big agegroup,8-13 years.My DD is 10.
Bars 9.175 (2.nd place)
Floor 9.15 (1st Place)
Beam 8.85 (4th Place) with Fall
Vault 8.7 (did not place,competed Frothandspring,she did not have her regular coaches at that meet,so they did not want her to compete her Piked Tsuk for Safety reasons)

All Around 35.875

We are so proud of her.

Great job Hunde and Gym Law Mom:) You guys must be proud of your girls:)
thank you for the meet updates... I love hearing how the girls do in their meets:)

gymlawmom ~ what state are you in? My dd competed at a meet here in PA that had the exact same format as yours. Except that they put their numbers on their hands, not pinned on their leos. Too funny. It was a very well run meet. Anyway, Olivia did well. She scored:

Vault - 8.85 (7th place)
Bars - 8.25
Beam - 8.15 (5th place)
Floor - 8.20 (still, without her BHS). This is .5 higher than her highest floor score. She had her best AA score, too. She was beaming after she got her medals and a trophy. She tied for 12th place all around. Actually took 13th out of 13 but who's counting?? There were a lot of ties in the individual events and it was nice that they recognized them and didn't bump the girls down a place. Our team took 2nd AA, too. They were elated!

Congrats to all that competed this weekend. We have another meet next Friday and then states the following weekend. The season has flown by!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job everyone! Lily competed on Saturday and had her best meet yet. I can't remember all of the individual placements but she wound up tied for 5th. Hopefully with a little more cleanup she will be getting more 9s soon. This was only our 3rd meet.

Bars: 8.85
Beam: 8.65 (no falls!)
Floor: 8.80
Vault: 9.050

35.35 AA

Here's the video I pieced together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KiZW9Xhmds

Netty, at our meet they wrote the numbers on their hands too. This seems to be the usual way of doing it around here.

Gymlawmom, that is just some sort of cosmic revenge about the old coach. It's good to hear that your dd is thriving at the new gym.

Meg

Skylar's competing on Sunday morning this weekend. It'll only be her third meet so send her good thoughts!

Little Bog has her 2nd meet on Saturday.

Congrats to all those hardworking gymnasts on your wonderful scores

YOU ROCK.

:D Good luck to everyone who will compete this weekend!

I have Beam and Bars up on Youtube,unfortenatly the camera gave me problems at the floorroutine so I only got the second half of it.
www.youtube.com/hunde2
Your welcome to leave comments.
Our next meet is on Feb 22nd.Hope to get everything recorded.She will also do her Level 8 vault then,which she did not do at the last meet.
Good Luck to eveybody.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back