MAG Back Tumbling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
D is learning his double back, double full, back lay with 2 1/2 twists. But, he is learning them all right out of a roundoff...no backhandspring. Is this normal and ok?

Does he have a good back handspring? Usually, if kids have a good back handspring, they do them from that. It may depend on gyms. At ds's current gym, most kids do everything backwards from a BHS. At his past gym though, most dropped the BHS when they got to optionals. Frankly though, I feel like that gym didn't have as much emphasis on basics so instead of developing strong BHSs, they were just dropping the skill. Guys with flexibility issues often don't have great BHSs.

I don't think there is anything wrong with his bhs. I think he jsut feels more power out of the ro. He is working both, but likes to just go from ro rather than doing the bhs too.

Hi SK!

One question for DS. If tumbling out of a RO was more efficient, don't you think more gymnasts would do it?

From seeing the videos, DS's tumbling is just fine. My only recommendation; undercut the round off more and keep trying to extend the FF. It will be better than using only a RO. Just for fun, here is a routine w/o FF's. An amazing routine I was lucky enough to see in person.

Reactions: sce
Thanks krc. I agree. I think the bhs gives him more power....but he is in a stage where arguing is his #1 form of communication :) So of course, I am wrong. At this point, I am leaving it up to his coach and him..but it i sgood to see that it isn't unheard of.

He worked out with Vitaly Marinich and Chris Brooks this week, adn I was hoping one of them woudl say something..but they didn't. sigh. I guess eventually he will come around and it will suddenly be his idea ;)

I have a lot of my girls do their 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 from roundoffs so that they can add the punch front without being so close to the out of bounds lines.

I have a lot of my girls do their 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 from roundoffs so that they can add the punch front without being so close to the out of bounds lines.

He did that as his opening pass this year at regionals. RO Back 1 1/2 twist punch front. Now he is trying to get it to punch full.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back