WAG Can I post this? 3yr old gymnast on Ellen

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Honestly I would move her to a new gym where they will slow right down, teach her strong basics and she will do great. The gym looks like a gym full of chuckers.
Chuckers? I know the term in a basketball context but curious how you're using it.

Chuckers? I know the term in a basketball context but curious how you're using it.

Kids who "chuck" skills w/ no concept of progressions or form. Attend an open gym night wherever your DD practices and you'll see a lot of "chuckers". Our team kids aren't allowed to attend open gym for this very reason - chucking skills and learning bad habits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately she isn't the only 3 year old out there training these skills. There is another who keeps popping up on my Instagram popular page!

Yikes!

Yep, some gyms are just all about getting the next big skills with no regard to safety or good form and progressions.

I know I have said this many times, but the lack of regulated coach education in the US is astounding. Some of the coaches in these videos have no right to be coaching anything past rec classes.

There are a few on instagram that can do what she does. She was just the one who went on national TV for the world to see and shed light on gymnastics.

Unfortunately she isn't the only 3 year old out there training these skills. There is another who keeps popping up on my Instagram popular page!

Yikes!

FloGymnastics uploaded the Ellen video onto their Facebook page. Some of the comments are cringe-worthy. Here's one:

"This is great. She's going to be a star. I'm hoping my little one is like this at 3. She started doing the middle splits flat to the floor at just over 1 and a half, she wasn't taught at all has just been watching her older sisters and just done it and now does it all the time, would love for her to be able to do all of that at 3"

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

FloGymnastics uploaded the Ellen video onto their Facebook page. Some of the comments are cringe-worthy. Here's one:

"This is great. She's going to be a star. I'm hoping my little one is like this at 3. She started doing the middle splits flat to the floor at just over 1 and a half, she wasn't taught at all has just been watching her older sisters and just done it and now does it all the time, would love for her to be able to do all of that at 3"

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

If it is normalised then everyone will be doing it. Be prepared for the influx of crazy.

This is exactly why I created this post. :( It's only going to encourage them. I think I like Ellen, but was/am upset she's (or her team is) playing a role in encouraging it.

I don't think theres a word to describe how disgusted and scared I am. Yikes.

I wonder why shes there now then? By the look of their facebook page, it sure looks like they are happy shes there though..

The gym she is now at is not competitive in any form or fashion. If she has any skill at all, she won't go anywhere with it at that gym. I am quite familiar with this gym.

Our neighbours kids were outside yesterday, roller skating, getting their cloths dirty and playing whatever they felt like playing.
Was I happy to see some families still know the value of free play time and manage to fit a few hours of "childhood" into their schedule of after school math class, competitive swimming, ballet, violin lessons and drama classes.

I wonder why shes there now then? By the look of their facebook page, it sure looks like they are happy shes there though..

Or, maybe the mom doesn't care anymore and just wants her to be in happy. Because in the process of looking through these links and following some from the gym, I am now crying reading about these people...hey I don't know them but they seem like nice people. So maybe the mom just likes them.

I'm not saying I agree with letting a kid that age do back handsprings, etc but to be honest they're far from the only gym that does stuff like that. I disagree with others on here about just how it exceptional it is for a three year old to be this skilled (doesn't necessarily mean she will end up with elite level skills, but she is exceptional at 3), so my guess is when she joined this gym they really weren't sure how to be support her talent. BUT it sounds like they at least have her on a somewhat better path. I'll cross my fingers that it turns out okay.

As long as there are parents willing to exploit their children, for either money or thoughts of fame, these things will go on as they have forever. You see it in all areas, sports, acting, modeling, music......a sad but unfortunate reality.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back