MAG Changes Coming

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
It is interesting. I think D will still be getting 2 years of level 9 and 4 years of level 10, so the impact on him is not that great. But I do think about some of his teammates and how it will affect them. It makes me wonder what other surprises they have in store for us!

I understand KRC, that there's no perfect date and it's arbitrary, but to me these facts say stick with the devil you've got. Why put so many boys in the position of only having one year of level 8 or 9 eligibility? That's the part that seems really unfair to me.

It doesn't impact my ds too much. He will go from being a 15 yo level 10 to a 17 you level 10 next year. It's a little disappointing that he's missing the chance to be the more experienced athlete in the 15-16 group, but that's not such a big deal.

Yeah, I don't like this change at all. My son is a Jan Bday, so he that's not so bad if they make the cut off May, but it also mean he loses a year, since he competes as a 9yr old L7 this season, and next season he will be an 11 year old? While I see the logic, I don't see how it's quite fair to those already in the system and planning their years, while those just joining team will have an advantage.

I understand KRC, that there's no perfect date and it's arbitrary, but to me these facts say stick with the devil you've got. Why put so many boys in the position of only having one year of level 8 or 9 eligibility? That's the part that seems really unfair to me.

Yes! If they're both arbitrary, why change it? I really like that the current date puts them with their school age peers (though I guess that may vary by region). Also, the youngest boys will now potentially be 5 year olds. That seems so early to me.

It's funny to me that my son has been competing up a year because he has a fall birthday. He turned 6 a week before starting L4, and last year he was a 7yo L5 even though by his birthday he should have been a 6 yo. I was thinking how great it was that he'll finally be with the "correct" age group this year, but now it looks like he'll have two years as a 7yo and then skip straight to 9yo.

The one way this system seems to even the playing field a bit is that under the current system the boys with Sept-March birthdays could compete level 4 as soon as they turned 6 - kids with later birthdays had to wait until the following year. Kids with June - August birthdays were not only the youngest but they had one season less competing so they would have to skip a level in order to stay with their age group. This likely does not make a huge difference in the later years but it definitely plays into levels 4-6. It is a bummer for the May birthdays- especially in compulsory levels who end at regionals and will not compete their age.

Wondering how many boys will turn 19 by May 31 of senior year? With lots of parents waiting until 6 for boys for kinder these days ( esp overactive gymnast type boys). My older is an April 30 bday. He will become a 17 year old for Jo purposes next year in this system. He's level 8 this year and a high school freshman, so he'd have to petition for his senior year.

He might not have a coach by then anyway, but I just hope for kids like him the petition system is streamlined.

My younger July baby boy will finally compete with kids his age...but he's one of only 3 months worth of kids. Why not do it like the girls with "rolling" age groups and get rid of the stupid " in age" stuff anyway? With so few boys programs I don't see why the boys are further limited from opportunities based upon what age they are when they get to a certain level.

I'm sure it's not " stupid". But I don't understand it at all.

This is will make my son only have one year at level 9. I wonder how he will feel when he finds out about this. I don't see how it will help him, that's for sure. I do feel bad for the boys who will be missing out on a future stars year.

LilHawkMom,
That may not happen.
missing out on a future stars year.
The FS age will be the year you're coming from, rather than the year you're going into. Kinda confusing I know. Right now it goes; Sept 1(new age) - FS season, JO season, Nationals. In the new Quad it will be: JO season, Nationals, May 31, FS Season In other words FS will be what you competed last season, not what you will be the coming season. Does that make sense??

KRC

Oh, KRC, that is good news! One of DS's teammates is competing as a 12 year old this year and coming back from a rough, injury-laden season last year. I think he'll make nationals with no trouble this year, but I was counting on next year being his big year, and I'd have hated to see him lose it.

Do you have any idea when USAG is planning to let people know about all of this, including the change to nationals eligibility?

I am glad to hear that about FS! I was thinking DS would miss his shot as we didn't do 8-yr-old FS this year thinking he'd have another chance as a 9-yr-old. I'm not sure he'd be ready for 10-yr-old routines next year.

I'm curious about when USAG will be letting people know as well. Do coaches, etc. already know? Is this a "for sure" thing?

My boys are pretty young, so we won't be hugely affected. But they both fall on fairly close on each side of the May 31st cut-off; one will become one of the oldest, the other will be one of the youngest (and they will only be competing a year apart, even though they are about 2 years different in age/grade).

LilHawkMom,
That may not happen.

The FS age will be the year you're coming from, rather than the year you're going into. Kinda confusing I know. Right now it goes; Sept 1(new age) - FS season, JO season, Nationals. In the new Quad it will be: JO season, Nationals, May 31, FS Season In other words FS will be what you competed last season, not what you will be the coming season. Does that make sense??

KRC
Which future stars season do you see that happening? 2016 or 2017? Which overall season would the age changed affect?

LilHawkMom,
That may not happen.

KRC

Let's if I am following this correctly - let me use my son and his teammate who have thus far been in the same age group:
DS: August birthday boy who is 8 right now in Fall 2015...
TM (teammate): October birthday boy turning 9 in Fall 2015

In THIS season (2015- 2016)
DS and TM competing FS as an 8 y/o (DS true age 8 at FS time; TM is 9 by FS Regional time)
DS and TM compete JO as an 8 y/o (DS true age 8; TM is 9)

NEXT season (2016-2017)
DS is still 8 on May 31, 2016; TM is still 9 on May 31,2016

DS competes 2016 FS as an 8 y/o again ??? (true age 9 at FS comp time)
TM competes 2016 FS as a 9 y/o (true age 9 at FS comp time)
DS competes 2017 JO as an 8 y/o again?? (true age 9 at comp time)
TM competes 2017 JO as 9 y/o (true age 9 at comp time)

So confusing. Did I get that right or completely off? I still am not sure.. Thanks for any help!

Not quite right, Sasha, as I understand it. Correct for 2015-2016. They do everything as 8 year olds based on both being 8 on September 1. For 2016-2017, your current 8 year old turns 9 in August 2016. He competes in the 9 year old age category for JO and FS because he is 9 both on Sept. 1, 2016 and May 31, 2017. The teammate turns 10 in October. He will thus compete JO as the ten year old he will be on May 31, 2017, but will be 9 for FS purposes based on the Sept. 1 cutoff remaining as is.

Not quite right, Sasha, as I understand it. Correct for 2015-2016. They do everything as 8 year olds based on both being 8 on September 1. For 2016-2017, your current 8 year old turns 9 in August 2016. He competes in the 9 year old age category for JO and FS because he is 9 both on Sept. 1, 2016 and May 31, 2017. The teammate turns 10 in October. He will thus compete JO as the ten year old he will be on May 31, 2017, but will be 9 for FS purposes based on the Sept. 1 cutoff remaining as is.

Thanks, profmom - as I was re-reading (again!), I was seeing some errors, but brain was failing me trying to think through it.

And so then for the year(s) after that, is the Sep 1 cutoff going away completely for Future Stars? If so, what would my son and teammate compete tin 2017-18? I'm trying to see how this works long term.

Actually, in rereading what KRC wrote, I think I am wrong. I think FS age will also go by the age they are on May 31. It wouldn't make any difference in your example though. For fall FS competition, they compete as the age they are that calendar year on May 31. For JO/JE purposes, it's the age they will be on May 31 the year of that national meet. Let me see if a table will help (and if I now have this right).

BIRTHDAY FS Age 2015-16 JO Age 2015-16 FS Age 2016-17 JO Age 2016-17
October 1, 2005 9 9 10 11
June 15, 2005 10 10 11 11
February 15, 2005 10 10 11 12

Hi All,

Sorry to be so confusing. After re-reading my first post it sounds more certain than I intended. Please realize this is not set in stone. The FS is age date is yet to be officially decided. This is the leading proposal:

year, level, age determining date.

2015-16 FS Sept 1st 2015
2015-16 JO Sept 1st 2015
2016-17 FS May 31 2016
2016-17 JO May 31 2017

Only the JO age date is official at this point: It will be May 31 for 2016-17 and fwd. However the transition year for FS (2016) could go either way (sept 1st 2016 - finishing the old quad, or May 31 2016 - starting the new one). They could even decide to keep Sept 1! We should have a final answer by November.

KRC

Hi I have read this thread with interest. My boys are not yet in high school, but they have been on team for several years and love it with no end in sight, so I guess I just want to be prepared for the possible future.
Younger son has a late May birthday, and will be 18 years old during his senior year in HS. (Turning 19 in late May of senior year.) So, does this change mean he will NOT be able to compete with his team the year he is a senior in HS?

Older son has an August birthday, and will also be 18 his senior year. Will he be able to compete that year?

Thanks.

Yes. Younger ds should be fine. Older ds might have to file a petition from what I am reading, as he would technically be considered a 19 yo that season if the date stays as late May. But I am not sure since no one has really seen the new guidelines at all :( HOpefully some clarification will come out soon

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back