Parents Coach intervention or not

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nycgymmom

Coach
Proud Parent
My daughter has been seeing PT for gymnastics related injury. Her new PT noticed her hips turn out when doing certain moves. Should I bring it up to the coaches? She won't let me help

We have in the past given approval for the coaches to communicate directly with the PT and the Ortho. You will have to fill out paperwork due to HIPAA, but we found it worthwhile. The PT and Ortho we use specifically deals with youth sports related injuries, so they're pretty comfortable conversing about various sports and the requirements.

I don't know enough about medicine or gymnastics to be the person in the middle of a game of telephone.

We have in the past given approval for the coaches to communicate directly with the PT and the Ortho. You will have to fill out paperwork due to HIPAA, but we found it worthwhile. The PT and Ortho we use specifically deals with youth sports related injuries, so they're pretty comfortable conversing about various sports and the requirements.

I don't know enough about medicine or gymnastics to be the person in the middle of a game of telephone.
That sounds like a good idea

I would definitely mention it. This is something her coaches can correct if you bring it to their attention before it causes any problems (unless that is already what you are at PT for, in that case it's already causes problems :() . Even better have the PT talk to them like @wallinbi said! But yes I think this is something they should know one way or another.

ETA: DD was having some back discomfort last year with BWO on beam, when I mentioned it to HC she took a careful look at it and said that DD was relying too much on her lower back and taught her to it correctly (opening her shoulders and not hinging in her lower back) and POOF! The back pain disappeared! So it's always worthwhile to tell a coach these things.

She needs to bring it up to the coach. Our coach likes to hear things from the athletes not the parents. We have a physio and chiro come directly to our gym so we give permission for them all to speak. But prior to that. I would take videos of any exercises physio wanted her to do and sent it to the coach...so he could incorporate it into the training.
They can't help if they don't know.

My daughter has been seeing PT for gymnastics related injury. Her new PT noticed her hips turn out when doing certain moves. Should I bring it up to the coaches? She won't let me help

Yes, the coach can play a huge roll I. Either helping her to improve or making the problem worse.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back